Random Postings

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
Fact:

Some Amish are afflicted by genetic disorders, including dwarfism, and are also distinguished by the highest incidence of twinning in a known human population, various metabolic disorders and unusual distribution of blood-types. Since almost all of the current Amish descend primarily from about 200 founders in the 18th century, some genetic disorders from a degree of in-breeding exist in more isolated districts. However, Amish do not represent a single closed community, but rather a collection of different genetically closed communities. Some of these disorders are quite rare, or even unique, and serious enough that they increase the mortality rate among Amish children.

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
Fact:

The LD50 (the median lethal dosage amount that will kill 50% of the test subjects) for Vitamin C using rats as test subjects is 11.9 grams per kilogram of body weight. For a 150 pound human this would require consuming 1.785 pounds of pure Vitamin C in one sitting.

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
Fact:

An average human male's digestive system, consisting of the mouth, pharynx, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, rectum, and anus is approximately 20 feet (6.5 meters) long from end to end.

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
Fact:

Bile acids, one of the key components of bile, are produced by the liver and are used by the body to emulsify fat in the intestines. They are produced in the liver by the oxidation of cholesterol, and are stored in the gallbladder until the stomach releases its partially digested food. Synthesis of bile acids is a major consumer of cholesterol. The average body synthesizes about 800 mg of cholesterol per day and about half of that is used for bile acid synthesis. In total about 20-30 grams of bile acids are secreted into the intestine daily. About 90% the excreted bile acids are later reabsorbed further down the intestines to be reused.

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
Fact:

Maple Syrup Urine Disease is a genetic disorder characterized by an infant with sweet-smelling urine with an odor similar to that of maple syrup. Infants with this disease seem healthy at birth but if left untreated suffer severe brain damage and eventually die. Maple Syrup Urine Disease is caused by a deficiency of a certain metabolic enzyme. The deficiency leads to a toxic buildup of branched-chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine, and valine) in the blood and urine.

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
Athanasios said:
:D

I guess that means you're o.k. and I need work!
Hehe! Actually, I teach computer applications at a hospital, but it's been suggested to me that I should pursue a career in medicine. I haven't quite decided on that yet. :D  And stranger than that, I hold a bachelor's degree in English, and have completed about 2/3 of a master's degree in Education. So much for working in my degree field!  ;D

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
Fact:

On Dec. 17, 1997, an episode of "Pokemon" was aired on Japanese television that induced seizures in hundreds of people throughout the country of Japan. The ages of those affected ranged from 3 to 58 years old. Ironically, the TV news reports played the perpetrating scene excerpt of flashing red lights, causing even more people to be afflicted with epileptic-type symptoms, in case they had missed the first one.

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
Fact:

To make Pop Rocks, the hot sugar mixture is allowed to mix with carbon dioxide gas at about 600psi. The carbon dioxide gas forms tiny, 600psi bubbles in the candy. When you put the candy in your mouth, it melts and releases the bubbles. What you are hearing and feeling is the 600psi carbon dioxide gas being released from each bubble.