• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
I barely was able to drag myself out of bed this morning.
I worked out on Sunday for the first time in 10 years.  (actively).  Today I worked out again.  All in all..I feel just about the same way you do... :D :D
I remember the first time I worked out my legs with a trainer. the next day my calves were so so sore that I wasn't able to unflex them. I was stuck walking around on my toes all day. LOL

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Errggg.  First week of school.  Everyone in the family is now up early if not brightly. 

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Ebor said:
Nebelpfade said:
Vodka in the East, is like Brandy in the West.  The ultimate cure-all.  :p
Or out in the Far West it was whiskey with who-knows-what-all in it's making  ;D 
"Set 'em up, Barkeep."
Or in the South Western United states, its tequilla. :)

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Ebor said:
"What does it all mean?"

;)
"Does there exist an algorithm for deciding whether or not a specific mathematical assertion does or does not have a proof?"
Church, Turing and Robinson all showed it to be undecidable (Gödel showed it indirectly too); a collection of some of the greatest minds of all time.  ;)

PeterTheAleut said:
Please don't make me pronounce it. :p
Ent-shy-dungs-pro-bleem is catchier than 'decision problem'.  :p

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
As a German native speaker and non-mathematician, I understand the word as a difficulty to make an important decision in life.

For example, if two wonderful girls are in love with you, you like both of them, and it is difficult for you to choose which one to marry: That is what when I would say "Ich habe ein Entscheidungsproblem".

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
German language always reminds me of Immanuel Kant and a comment which a friend of mine who studies philosophy made about his books. He said that Kant's German is so hard that even Germans themselves read English translations of them.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
German language always reminds me of Immanuel Kant and a comment which a friend of mine who studies philosophy made about his books. He said that Kant's German is so hard that even Germans themselves read English translations of them.

:D :D :D

That gave me a good laugh.  Thanks

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Ebor said:
Alpo said:

:D :D :D

That gave me a good laugh.  Thanks
Oh common!  It's not that bad!  It's just confusing!  lol. j/k

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Oh come on, Kant's German isn't hard, only the way his thoughts go is a bit weird (in any language).

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Gorazd said:
Alpo said:
Oh come on, Kant's German isn't hard, only the way his thoughts go is a bit weird (in any language).
Hey, this is the Random Postings thread. You took my message way too seriously. :)

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Hey, this is the Random Postings thread. You took my message way too seriously. :)
Well, don't worry about that please, I just dont have any humour. (How do you call a German who has humour? An Austrian.)

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I studied a bit of German.  I was always having trouble remembering if the item was a die, der, or das.  Maybe my instructors weren't able to make it clear, but, I found no sense in what got assigned which gender.

Ukrainian also has genders, but, there are "rules" along with them...if it ends in an A it is a she, if it ends in E or O its an it, ends in consonant it's a he, etc.

However, I was never able to figure out the reasoning behind the German genders, and that made it all so much more difficult as it turned out to simply be an exercise in memorization.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
I studied a bit of German.  I was always having trouble remembering if the item was a die, der, or das.  Maybe my instructors weren't able to make it clear, but, I found no sense in what got assigned which gender.
Also I had that same problem when I studied German couple of years ago. Too bad that I've propably forgotten just about everthing I've learnt. German is a fine language.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Entscheidungsproblem said:
The 25th anniversary of the buckyball would have passed me by if it wasn't for Google.
Ditto.  It's pretty sad, though, that you click on the logo and the first link is for a toy...

Vzldrb

Elder
Reaction score
Just got back from Church...

My mom had two flat tires, so she had to go and get them fixed, so I went to the Deacon;s house... ALONG WITH THE NEW DEAN OF ST.TIKHON'S SEMINARY!

He (Fr. Alexander Atty) is fixing so much, and is such a kind, gentle man... with firmness when it is needed.

Lord, grant him many years!

Richard

PS. Special thanks to the Deacon of my local parish for taking me into his home! It felt like something out of a book or movie, with at least 3 people in cassocks in a living room...

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
There is no rule. It must be learnt with each word, for example if you learnt the German Word for "book", you shouldn't just learn "Buch", but "das Buch".

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
After the DL in a Chapel dedicated to Georgian Saint and Gospel read twice (in Polish and Georgian) I wanted to have a lunch in a Georgian restaurant next to my place but it is closed on Sundays.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
The wife and children of one of the deacons came to Vespers tonight. Of the two children, a girl and a boy, the little boy had a prayer rope and would lift it and 'bless' people from time to time. This got a lot of smiles. Even more, when he had a child's prayer book and would lift it up whenever the priest did certain things.  :D  :angel: To top it all off, toward the end of the service, the boy walked to the back of the chapel and closed the door. So cute, you could almost fall over. 

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1312205/Its-Yoga-Bear-Show-Incredible-pictures-Santra-keeps-shape-Finnish-zoo.html