Random Postings

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Reminds me of the oatmeal cookie bars we military blokes had in our MREs (meals ready to eat; field rations for the military, which one hunter I knew loved to buy at the military surplus stores) back in the 90's.  We often joked about how we could use the cookie bars to reinforce our fighting holes. :laugh:
I have it on good authority that it is inadvisable, when traveling during the Christmas holidays to carry home-made fruitcake on ones carry-on luggage.  Apparently in the x-ray machine it's density has a look like some kind of plastic explosive.  (But then what about the nuts and fruit?  Is Semtex or it's ilk likely to be ummm "lumpy?"

;)

Ebor

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
^^Yes!Happy Birthday!

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
Ah yes, so do you have the skills?  If I gave you an orange, dental floss and a paper plate, could you use it to get out of a lead lined cell sunk 22.345 m underneath a solid layer of limestone and fly ash?

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
username! said:
Ah yes, so do you have the skills?  If I gave you an orange, dental floss and a paper plate, could you use it to get out of a lead lined cell sunk 22.345 m underneath a solid layer of limestone and fly ash?
LOL!  Oh I wish. 

I cannot wait for that MacGyver Mythbusters episode though.  :laugh:

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, I watched the mythbusters the other day.  they were doing the quicksand thing, saying no one knows if 
quick sand that can kill you exists.  Funny thing is, I was watching Man V Wild not too long ago.
Guess what Bear Gyrlles did?  He showed you how to crawl out of killer quicksand that for sure would have killed him if he didn't know how to do it.

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
username! said:
So, I watched the mythbusters the other day.  they were doing the quicksand thing, saying no one knows if 
quick sand that can kill you exists.  Funny thing is, I was watching Man V Wild not too long ago.
Guess what Bear Gyrlles did?  He showed you how to crawl out of killer quicksand that for sure would have killed him if he didn't know how to do it.
I remember watching a show a little while ago about Mont Saint-Michel in Normandy and how crossing from the coast to the island claims several lives each year since there are pockets of "quicksand" and the tide comes in so fast.  The thing is, it didn't look like the quicksand on mythbusters, but more like extremely thick mud.

I can't stand Bear Grylles, I find him very shock value.  The one in Africa were within two minutes of the show starting he is drinking his own urine.  He does things where only someone in the peak of physical health and a SAS background go do it.  Do you ever watch Survivor man?  I find his show a lot better.  Plus... he is Canadian.  :p

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Friul said:
I remember watching a show a little while ago about Mont Saint-Michel in Normandy and how crossing from the coast to the island claims several lives each year since there are pockets of "quicksand" and the tide comes in so fast.  The thing is, it didn't look like the quicksand on mythbusters, but more like extremely thick mud.

I can't stand Bear Grylles, I find him very shock value.  The one in Africa were within two minutes of the show starting he is drinking his own urine.  He does things where only someone in the peak of physical health and a SAS background go do it.  Do you ever watch Survivor man?  I find his show a lot better.  Plus... he is Canadian.  :p

Funny thing is, when Les when in the Sahara he purposely said that drinking your own urine is not recommended!!!!
Bear is over the top.  Who else would fly strapped to a parachute and a fan pack over Mt. Everest?
Bear is the show off show.  Les is the "if I can do it, you can do it" kind of guy. 

I mean, Bear, while he jumps in frozen Alpine ponds, drinks muck from one of a dead camel's stomachs, would eat camel spiders, climb down waterfalls...... he has a crew.

Les, while he doesn't eat camel spiders and drink his urine, he goes out to desolate places by himself and films himself for the 7 days (or unless they HAVE to get him, like what happened in Labrador).

So Les:  authenticity value, guts, and can go it alone

So Bear:  shock value.  Doesn't go it alone, has a crew with him, what is his crew, we don't know what's going on when those cameras turn off.  It's like an expensive home movie with Bear having unlimited cash to go to far flung places to act like a kid.  Survival?  Not really, showing off?  Yup.

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I like eating cereal in the afternoons.  It's a combo of Bananna Nut Crunchcand whole grain Cheerios with a splash of honey.

Anyone else?