Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Asteriktos said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Round 2 tonight...  Competing against speakers from as many as four clubs outside of my own.
How'd it go?
I won. ;D (My nerdy brand of humor got a lot of laughs. :laugh:) Next round: the division contest on October 21. If I win that, I go on to the District 7 finals.
Round 3 tonight. Got a lot of laughs throughout my final practice run last night, so I know I'm ready. ;D
Keep us posted!  And, is there a way we could get a YOUTUBE preview or something?  I for one would love to see your set! 

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Fabio Leite said:
Manga Jesus
http://www.culch.ie/2009/06/18/just-when-you-thought-jesus-couldnt-be-any-cooler/

{Edit - I've scaled down the image to make it more forum-friendly.  - Fr. George, Global Mod}
Looks  like he is about to change into super Jesus

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Asteriktos said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Round 2 tonight...  Competing against speakers from as many as four clubs outside of my own.
How'd it go?
I won. ;D (My nerdy brand of humor got a lot of laughs. :laugh:) Next round: the division contest on October 21. If I win that, I go on to the District 7 finals.
Round 3 tonight. Got a lot of laughs throughout my final practice run last night, so I know I'm ready. ;D
Keep us posted!  And, is there a way we could get a YOUTUBE preview or something?  I for one would love to see your set! 
I hope someone will be there tonight to videotape it.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Fr. George said:
Asteriktos - thanks for the Bones pic.  Great show (IMO).
Yeah, I agree :) Though I sometimes find that the point of this joke about CSI holds true for Bones as well (especially with Hodgins)...
Yeah, I know what you mean.  If I were looking for 100% accurate depictions, though, I'd watch real police/detective shows, or I'd sign up for criminology classes ;D

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Fr. George said:
Asteriktos said:
Fr. George said:
Asteriktos - thanks for the Bones pic.  Great show (IMO).
Yeah, I agree :) Though I sometimes find that the point of this joke about CSI holds true for Bones as well (especially with Hodgins)...
Yeah, I know what you mean.  If I were looking for 100% accurate depictions, though, I'd watch real police/detective shows, or I'd sign up for criminology classes ;D
You ARE a criminology class.  :p :p :p

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
Papist said:
Fabio Leite said:
Manga Jesus
http://www.culch.ie/2009/06/18/just-when-you-thought-jesus-couldnt-be-any-cooler/

{Edit - I've scaled down the image to make it more forum-friendly.  - Fr. George, Global Mod}
Looks  like he is about to change into super Jesus
So... now... some blasphemy... :)

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Asteriktos said:
PeterTheAleut said:
How'd it go?
The run is done, even though my speech was the best I'd ever done and got just as many laughs as the contest winner's. Now it's time for me to focus on my next big project: a 12-month contract to test printer software for a big local printer manufacturer. The new job starts next Wednesday.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Asteriktos said:
Caffeine withdrawal sucks.
Feels like your head wants to split in half?
Thankfully the pain isn't that bad, but the constant headache combined with the queasiness is quite frustrating.

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You might want to try a low-caffeine alternative (like Yerba Mate) rather than just going cold turkey. It's the abrupt withdrawal that causes the headaches - believe me, beentheredonethat! :D

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
theistgal said:
You might want to try a low-caffeine alternative (like Yerba Mate) rather than just going cold turkey. It's the abrupt withdrawal that causes the headaches - believe me, beentheredonethat! :D
Well, I'd love to get rid of this, lol... but one question, would using a low-caffeine substitute prolong things? I'm about 2 days into this, so, based on past experience, I don't expect it to last more than 1 more day (or if I'm lucky, maybe it'll be gone by tomorrow morning). Would ingesting a bit of caffeine tonight or tomorrow morning make the process less annoying, but longer in duration?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
That, and you just don't feel like doing SQUAT. :p
The bad part was that I had an online test for my Principles of Management class. I already find the content of that class tedious, so suffice to say I wasn't looking forward to taking a test on the material today!  :D

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
theistgal said:
Well, I'd love to get rid of this, lol... but one question, would using a low-caffeine substitute prolong things? I'm about 2 days into this, so, based on past experience, I don't expect it to last more than 1 more day (or if I'm lucky, maybe it'll be gone by tomorrow morning). Would ingesting a bit of caffeine tonight or tomorrow morning make the process less annoying, but longer in duration?
theistgal is right that you might want to try yerba mate. I enjoy it frequently (though I also like my coffee and tea!) There is some debate about the stimulant in yerba mate, called mateine which is close enough to caffeine to have its stimulant effects, but different enough that it is generally milder on the system and one is less likely to suffer withdrawal symptoms.

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Asteriktos said:
PeterTheAleut said:
That, and you just don't feel like doing SQUAT. :p
The bad part was that I had an online test for my Principles of Management class. I already find the content of that class tedious, so suffice to say I wasn't looking forward to taking a test on the material today!  :D
Sounds like the Computational ethics and professional practices course I am forced to take.  :p

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Incredible and amazing basketball shots. This is really unbelievable!

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=iyveuYRJ2b4&feature=related

Selam
What's incredible is that you fell for the real trick. LOL! (Actually, it's so obvious that these are fake shots that I'll bet you're trying to trick us into watching them. ;D)

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
PeterTheAleut said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Incredible and amazing basketball shots. This is really unbelievable!

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=iyveuYRJ2b4&feature=related

Selam
What's incredible is that you fell for the real trick. LOL! (Actually, it's so obvious that these are fake shots that I'll bet you're trying to trick us into watching them. ;D)

Those were fake? Really? No way!  ;)

My sons and I were laughing uncontrollably last night when we watched this. It is funny.

Selam

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
"Know what that means? This ---- thing doesn't work at all!"

:D  ;D

One of the funniest SF movies ever, turns 25 today, and is out on Blu-Ray and a special-edition DVD whatsit. If you like that sort of thing.  ;) 

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/26/happy-marty-mcfly-day-2/?hpt=C2

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Immensely important fact of the day: if you do not use a ferry, you will have to drive 318 miles to get from Sheboygan, WI to Podunk Lake, MI.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We are certainly within reach of 500,000 posts for the forum; this could easily be attained by/before New Year's.

(I wonder what this reminds me of... Hmmm I think it was a December post, somewhere... ;) )

Ebor said:
I just idly noticed that the post counter has over 99,000 on it. 

Anyone want to start quessing when we'll turn it over to 100,000?  :D Before New's Years, I'm reckoning.

Ebor
(Addendum: This thread isn't too far from 9,000 posts - or 10,000, for that matter.)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
We are certainly within reach of 500,000 posts for the forumEbor

(Addendum: This thread isn't too far from 9,000 posts - or 10,000, for that matter.)
Glorious! Or terrible... one of those  ;)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I just discovered that I ordered a book on the 25th from Amazon, and then ordered that same book again yesterday. And now it's too late to cancel the order. What a dufus! Well, I guess if I get interested enough in Cicero that I wear out the first book, I'll have a backup copy :p

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Fr. George said:
We are certainly within reach of 500,000 posts for the forumEbor

Glorious! Or terrible... one of those  ;)
Likely both.

Clare G.

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I just discovered that I ordered a book on the 25th from Amazon, and then ordered that same book again yesterday. And now it's too late to cancel the order. What a dufus! Well, I guess if I get interested enough in Cicero that I wear out the first book, I'll have a backup copy :p
You'll find Amazon are surprisingly tolerant and accommodating if you decide to return one copy. They may even refund the original postage as well as the cost of the book. Of course, you'll have to pay the return postage but you can re-use the packaging. Just be honest and give "Inadvertently ordered a duplicate copy" as your reason for wishing to return it.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Clare G. said:
Asteriktos said:
You'll find Amazon are surprisingly tolerant and accommodating if you decide to return one copy. They may even refund the original postage as well as the cost of the book. Of course, you'll have to pay the return postage but you can re-use the packaging. Just be honest and give "Inadvertently ordered a duplicate copy" as your reason for wishing to return it.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Clare G., thank you again for your suggestion, the process for telling them that I wanted to return the book was quite easy.

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I sell used books on Amazon, and have accepted returns a few times, no questions asked. Most if the used book sellers will accommodate you to keep their feedback rating high.

(Mine's still at 100% after 3 years! :) )

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
theistgal said:
I sell used books on Amazon, and have accepted returns a few times, no questions asked. Most if the used book sellers will accommodate you to keep their feedback rating high.

(Mine's still at 100% after 3 years! :) )
Nice :) Yeah, besides the book I mentioned above, I also got a package with the wrong book in it, and when I wrote to the seller asking if I could return the book and get the original one I ordered, the seller was very polite, and said they were sending the book out asap, and that once they received the wrong book back they'd reimburse me for the shipping. I have to say, though, that I've bought a lot of stuff off amazon over the years, from both amazon and other sellers, and this was the first time I ever had an issue.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Because of all that artificial intelligence and automatically setting clocks I have no idea what time is it now according to the new style.

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asterikos, lol, I had the same situation with two of my customers - I'd sent each the wrong book.  What I did was send each of them the other's address so they could send the books directly to each other, and gave them both a full refund on shipping + an extra 50% refund on the book price itself, for the trouble.

I wound up losing a few cents on the transactions but it was worth it to keep the customers happy - and as a lesson to me to be more careful! :)