Random Postings

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
We had 32 trick-or-treaters this evening. We've never been below forty before, and are usually in the low fifties. However, this is one of the coldest Halloween on record, it's just 2C right now,  so I can understand that parents don't want to be out with their kids too long.

But tomorrow morning I start my paper route! 32 customers (including myself); since they're rather scattered around a few blocks, it will take about an hour. Have to have them done by 7 a.m. I'm not sure what time they get delivered to me, but I'll be up by 4:30 - so I guess I'd better be off to bed! (approaching 8:30 p.m. local time right now).

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
genesisone said:
We had 32 trick-or-treaters this evening. We've never been below forty before, and are usually in the low fifties. However, this is one of the coldest Halloween on record, it's just 2C right now,  so I can understand that parents don't want to be out with their kids too long.

But tomorrow morning I start my paper route! 32 customers (including myself); since they're rather scattered around a few blocks, it will take about an hour. Have to have them done by 7 a.m. I'm not sure what time they get delivered to me, but I'll be up by 4:30 - so I guess I'd better be off to bed! (approaching 8:30 p.m. local time right now).
Have fun! :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Why does Microsoft change everything around all the time? Just when you get used to something... BAM! you get an update that changes things.

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We haven't had anywhere near 32 trick or treaters here in So. Cal and it's over 60 °.  Must be some other reason (perhaps because it's a work/school night)?

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
genesisone said:

Have fun! :)
Thanks, and I did have fun!

Don't know what time my papers got delivered to my house, but they were there when I looked out at 4:45 a.m. It took a few extra minutes to go over things to figure out just how I would handle some things, so doing that, and after my morning prayers, it was a few minutes before six that I left the house. It took a bit longer today than it will in the future because I had to be referring to my list of customers, checking my notes, and searching for mail boxes or other delivery locations, but I walked back into my own house about 6:45. Once I get the route learned, it shouldn't take much more than a half hour to do. Of course, by then walking will be more difficult in the snow.

They're predicting a winter with relatively mild temperatures, but lots of snow - only to be expected. If Lake Erie doesn't freeze over, there's always more snow. We get the effect of SW winds coming off Lake Erie, but not nearly what they get in Buffalo, NY, only a half hour away!

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
theistgal said:
I sell used books on Amazon, and have accepted returns a few times, no questions asked. Most if the used book sellers will accommodate you to keep their feedback rating high.

(Mine's still at 100% after 3 years! :) )
Funny, I was looking at Catholic books on amazon.com last week and your picture (the one you have here at oc.net) came up.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
So when I lived in my ghetto apartment complex, I had tons of trick or treaters. Now that I live in the nice one, well, I got zero trick or treaters.

synLeszka

High Elder
Reaction score
I have spent the last three days walking from cemetery to cemetery. The bazars with sellers of flowers and candles of cheap quality, the hoards of faithful, the hundred year old grave monuments which take your breath away. I had to stop myself from spitting on the grave of a former Communist party member, which somehow was the only one without a cross in the cemetery. The sad monotony of the hymns sung today, the traffic jams around cemeteries, et cetera creates an insular climate of its own. Somehow I know that this is one of the few times of the year, when this country functions normally.

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Papist, lol - so you've discovered my secret identity!  Let's see, what did Superman do when Lois Lane did that? :D

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
My old coffee table was getting sort of old and beat up, so I decided to get a new one. However, I didn't bother to get measurements of my current table so that I would know what size table to order (I was browsing online). I eventually settled on a table from Walmart, and had them ship it to the store closest to me. I picked it up today... and I'm regretting not thinking this out more. If I did the measurements/calculation correctly, my new table is 49% smaller than my old one. I usually have multiple remote controls, multiple stacks of books, and multiple bunches of papers strewn across the table. Not now. I'm really missing that extra space.

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
My old coffee table was getting sort of old and beat up, so I decided to get a new one. However, I didn't bother to get measurements of my current table so that I would know what size table to order (I was browsing online). I eventually settled on a table from Walmart, and had them ship it to the store closest to me. I picked it up today... and I'm regretting not thinking this out more. If I did the measurements/calculation correctly, my new table is 49% smaller than my old one. I usually have multiple remote controls, multiple stacks of books, and multiple bunches of papers strewn across the table. Not now. I'm really missing that extra space.
LOL, I love how you say it's "49% smaller" -- not just "about half the size."  ;)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I saw a large bird perched on the dock at the lake behind my house. It stood there with its wings out, for a long time. I don't have pictures, but it was beautiful.  :)

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Why do they sell deoderant. body spray, and shampoo in pairs, but not toothbruses or packs of pork chops?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
theistgal said:
Maybe you could add some vertical storage space - like desktop shelves, etc. ?
serb1389 said:
or even something on the side.  I have a great little 5 drawer plastic tower with tons of space both inside & on top for me to lay random papers & books!  (office max = your friend)
Yeah, I'll have to think about how to add some extra space somehow. :)

HandmaidenofGod said:
Asteriktos said:
LOL, I love how you say it's "49% smaller" -- not just "about half the size."  ;)
I was in college in Florida at the age of 20 when I realised how much of a nerd I was. The dorm monitor saw me walking back to my room and invited me to a get together. Shy and awkward, I gave an uber-geeky response, which sounded like some line out of a dissertation. It was at that moment that I realised who I truly was. People sometimes say "Oh, you wouldn't talk like that in real life". No. I really am that geeky in real life.  :p

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
theistgal said:
Maybe you could add some vertical storage space - like desktop shelves, etc. ?
serb1389 said:
or even something on the side.  I have a great little 5 drawer plastic tower with tons of space both inside & on top for me to lay random papers & books!  (office max = your friend)
Yeah, I'll have to think about how to add some extra space somehow. :)

HandmaidenofGod said:
Asteriktos said:
LOL, I love how you say it's "49% smaller" -- not just "about half the size."  ;)
I was in college in Florida at the age of 20 when I realised how much of a nerd I was. The dorm monitor saw me walking back to my room and invited me to a get together. Shy and awkward, I gave an uber-geeky response, which sounded like some line out of a dissertation. It was at that moment that I realised who I truly was. People sometimes say "Oh, you wouldn't talk like that in real life". No. I really am that geeky in real life.  :p
And I totally respect that! :)

Reaction score
I'm going to see "West Side Story" on Broadway this weekend! *does Snoopy Happy dance*

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
HandmaidenofGod said:
I'm going to see "West Side Story" on Broadway this weekend! *does Snoopy Happy dance*
Have fun (I think?)!  ;D

As a side note, just a lesson for your young ones out there... believe it or not, you actually have to put the food in the oven for it to begin to cook. Leaving it sit on top of the stove while the oven is on won't actually cook it  :D

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
serb1389 said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Asteriktos said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Round 2 tonight...  Competing against speakers from as many as four clubs outside of my own.
How'd it go?
I won. ;D (My nerdy brand of humor got a lot of laughs. :laugh:) Next round: the division contest on October 21. If I win that, I go on to the District 7 finals.
Round 3 tonight. Got a lot of laughs throughout my final practice run last night, so I know I'm ready. ;D
Keep us posted!  And, is there a way we could get a YOUTUBE preview or something?  I for one would love to see your set!  
The run is done, even though my speech was the best I'd ever done and got just as many laughs as the contest winner's. Now it's time for me to focus on my next big project: a 12-month contract to test printer software for a big local printer manufacturer. The new job starts next Wednesday.
We had our district humorous speech finals today--I didn't compete. The trophy winners: 3rd Place went to a fellow who spoke of a day at work as an accountant in the straight-voiced "Just the facts" manner of a Sgt. Joe Friday; 2nd Place to an arachnophobe and her encounters with big, hairy spiders while hiking in Arizona; and the 1st place trophy to an older gent who was too macho to hire a professional to paint his house. :laugh:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
If you don't mind my asking, why didn't you compete? :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Asteriktos said:
I was eliminated from competition in the divisional round (one round immediately previous to today's).
Ahh, ok :) Wait, should I be smiling? Well anyway... good luck next year (?)

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
October 2010 - 105 new members
October 2009 - 87 new members

Percentage Increase = 20.69%

Through 7+ days in this month, 33 new members have registered which is on pace for 141 new members for the month.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Asteriktos said:
I was eliminated from competition in the divisional round (one round immediately previous to today's).
Ahh, ok :) Wait, should I be smiling?
I don't see why not. This was only my second time competing in the annual humorous speech tournament, and I made it farther this year than last. I'm quite pleased that I beat the person who beat me at the area level (one level above club and below division) last year, and I gave the performance of my life at the division contest this year. The judges, however, thought someone else's speech better and selected him the winner. I can't exactly complain about something over which I ultimately have no control. At least I was given the opportunity to learn from some much more experienced contest veterans, and I learned a lot!

Asteriktos said:
Well anyway... good luck next year (?)
Thank you. :) I got a lot of great ideas from this year's district contest, so I look forward to what I can do next year. Then again, I could be appointed Area Governor, in which case I would not be permitted to compete in a contest.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
A woman lights a candle at the Church of the Dormition in the West Bank, yesterday. Just a photograph, but very moving nonetheless.

:angel:

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
biro said:
A woman lights a candle at the Church of the Dormition in the West Bank, yesterday. Just a photograph, but very moving nonetheless.

:angel:
Let's see if anyone can pic out the inaccuaracies in some of the descriptions of the later pictures

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ian Lazarus said:
Why do they sell deoderant. body spray, and shampoo in pairs, but not toothbruses or packs of pork chops?
I'll agree with theistgal: we got a his & hers toothbrush pack (i.e. TWO SEPARATE ones, not one to share ;) ) at a bridal shower (amongst other things in that gift pack).  Now pork chops... they'd have to be pretty heavy to be sold in a pair, methinks (since most are packaged by weight were I'm at - going for certain size packages).

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I admit I don't buy a whole lot of pork chops.  I just assumed they were sold in pairs as my mom always cooked several at a time.

(Which may explain my weight problems ... lol! :D )

Now drumsticks I *know* are sold in pairs ...

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
This has not been a good couple of weeks for me. First I was told that my car needed new tires to pass inspection. Then I found out that my battery is 5 years old and will probably need to be replaced soon. Then I was told that I need a new windshield before it'll pass inspection. Now I think I'll need to replace the alternator. Can't we just invent transporters a la Star Trek already!?  :-\

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
Asteriktos said:
This has not been a good couple of weeks for me. First I was told that my car needed new tires to pass inspection. Then I found out that my battery is 5 years old and will probably need to be replaced soon. Then I was told that I need a new windshield before it'll pass inspection. Now I think I'll need to replace the alternator. Can't we just invent transporters a la Star Trek already!?  :-\
We're at least trying: http://www.fas.org/sgp/eprint/teleport.pdf

14. ABSTRACT
This study was tasked with the purpose of collecting information describing the teleportation of material objects, providing a description of
teleportation as it occurs in physics, its theoretical and experimental status, and a projection of potential applications. The study also consisted
of a search for teleportation phenomena occurring naturally or under laboratory conditions that can be assembled into a model describing the
conditions required to accomplish the transfer of objects. This included a review and documentation of quantum teleportation, its theoretical
basis, technological development, and its potential applications. The characteristics of teleportation were defined and physical theories were
evaluated in terms of their ability to completely describe the phenomena. Contemporary physics, as well as theories that presently challenge the
current physics paradigm were investigated. The author identified and proposed two unique physics models for teleportation that are based on
the manipulation of either the general relativistic spacetime metric or the spacetime vacuum electromagnetic (zero-point fluctuations)
parameters. Naturally occurring anomalous teleportation phenomena that were previously studied by the United States and foreign
governments were also documented in the study and are reviewed in the report. The author proposes an additional model for teleportation that
is based on a combination of the experimental results from the previous government studies and advanced physics concepts. Numerous
recommendations outlining proposals for further theoretical and experimental studies are given in the report. The report also includes an
extensive teleportation bibliography.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The future is now!  :)

On another note... I'm watching Hell's Kitchen... sort of... but why is it that these chefs can't do things like cook food long enough that they aren't still raw when they send them to Ramsay? Honestly? How long do you have to be a chef before you can cook pasta or a steak?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
The future is now!  :)

On another note... I'm watching Hell's Kitchen... sort of... but why is it that these chefs can't do things like cook food long enough that they aren't still raw when they send them to Ramsay? Honestly? How long do you have to be a chef before you can cook pasta or a steak?
I love, and hate, that show.  Love for entertainment value; hate that it is reminding me that I may eat at a place that doesn't cook its food well enough, store it well enough, or train its chefs in proper handling well enough.  Yuck.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
I think I mentioned earlier that I've taken on a paper route to get me up and going in the morning. My son, now 32, reminded me that perhaps twenty years ago he had more or less the same route for a while. I guess I'm following in my son's footsteps  ;D !