Random Postings

soufliotiki

Reaction score
Beloved, do not neglect or despise the grains of sand of the broken Body of Christ, for each is a precious pearl loved by God tenderly.

soufliotiki

Reaction score
Dude, Where's My Car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7luMp6lb9M&feature=player_embedded

Caption entered to make post compliant with forum policy regarding naked links.  -PtA

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
They say that if you're making baked potatoes, and you don't poke some holes into it, they'll "explode". True or false?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
According to Weather Underground, the temperature here is -0.2 degrees... which is apparently a record low for the day.

EDIT--I looked up the record low for the month of January for where I live... it's -29 degrees... so I guess things could be worse  :)

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
I've been recently mistaken for a Priest more times than I can recall.  How can a self-proclaimed Maverick pass as clergy unless I bear a resemblance to the Priest who was listening to the Chicago Blackhawks hockey game while serving the Divine Liturgy in the movie Do You Wanna Dance?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Since this thread used to be about counting down until posting milestones:

# of new posts per year since OC.net's reincarnation (according to the stats at the bottom of the statistics page, which may differ from the sum totals at the top which take into account deleted posts and threads):

2002:    2,687
2003:  26,866
2004:  32,926
2005:  38,968
2006:  42,453
2007:  53,622
2008:  81,466
2009: 109,820
2010: 120,780

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Jakub said:
Asteriktos said:
They say that if you're making baked potatoes, and you don't poke some holes into it, they'll "explode". True or false?
R them po-ta-toes frozen ?
There are three things I know to do how with potatoes...and baking them is not included among them.

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
deum-quaerens.blogspot.com
Ortho_cat said:
Jakub said:
Asteriktos said:
There are three things I know to do how with potatoes...and baking them is not included among them.
*gasp!*

Redeem yourself. Is one of them include a "potato gun"?

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Azurestone said:
Ortho_cat said:
Jakub said:
Asteriktos said:
*gasp!*

Unfortunately not, the three things being: 'boiling 'em, mashing 'em, and sticking 'em in a stew" ;D

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
deum-quaerens.blogspot.com
Ortho_cat said:
Azurestone said:
Ortho_cat said:
Jakub said:
Asteriktos said:
*gasp!*

Unfortunately not, the three things being: 'boiling 'em, mashing 'em, and sticking 'em in a stew" ;D
Bwahahahah!

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
lol - that's how my grandpa always says he learned how to bake a potato in the microwave: take 2 patatoes, put one in the microwave till it explodes, clean it up, then put the other potato in the microwave for 1 second less than the first one! :)

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
theistgal said:
lol - that's how my grandpa always says he learned how to bake a potato in the microwave: take 2 patatoes, put one in the microwave till it explodes, clean it up, then put the other potato in the microwave for 1 second less than the first one! :)
Good idea, but wasteful! (unless you don't mind eating mash potatoes that have been splayed all over the inside of the microwave!)  :D

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Entscheidungsproblem said:
I received a double edge safety razor as a gift.  Trying it out on the weekend will definitely be interesting...
Good luck with it.  Once you've refined your technique a bit, I recommend experimenting with a few different blades.  This made a big difference for me.

Azurestone said:
Trying it out on the weekend will definitely be interesting...
Works better if you try it on your face.  ;)
;D

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Cognomen said:
I received a double edge safety razor as a gift.  Trying it out on the weekend will definitely be interesting...
Good luck with it.  Once you've refined your technique a bit, I recommend experimenting with a few different blades.  This made a big difference for me.

Azurestone said:
Trying it out on the weekend will definitely be interesting...
Works better if you try it on your face.  ;)
;D
So I'm curious...what are the advantages of a double-edge safety razor over a fancy gillette?

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
theistgal said:
LOL!!!!

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Jakub said:
Asteriktos said:
Nope, not frozen, though the thought of deciding to make french fries and then poking holes in every individual one is quite funny  ;D

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I suppose if you put a spud in the nuker for longer than a half-hour without poking any holes into it, it's likely to explode. I usually bake mine for about 8 minutes and have never had one blow up on me.

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Asteriktos said:
I suppose if you put a spud in the nuker for longer than a half-hour without poking any holes into it, it's likely to explode. I usually bake mine for about 8 minutes and have never had one blow up on me.
From the looks of it, an exploded potato can cause alot of damage... :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxv-Sg8hyf8

chrevbel

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
So I'm curious...what are the advantages of a double-edge safety razor over a fancy gillette?
Cheap, baby, cheap!  You only buy the razor once.  Blades are next to nothing, and if you're like me you find an old curved sharpening stone and get triple use out of 'em, at least.

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
chrevbel said:
Ortho_cat said:
Cheap, baby, cheap!  You only buy the razor once.  Blades are next to nothing, and if you're like me you find an old curved sharpening stone and get triple use out of 'em, at least.
Ok, so what are we talking about in terms of performance? Does it take alot longer to shave with them? Do they shave as close? Is it easy to cut yourself?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
I thought I saw an Opthalmologist on an Alaskan island, but it turned out to be an optical Aleutian.
That was really bad... my kind joke!  :D

chrevbel

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
Ok, so what are we talking about in terms of performance? Does it take alot longer to shave with them? Do they shave as close? Is it easy to cut yourself?
I get an okay shave from mine.  I tend to make multiple strokes, but I think I also pretty much do that with other razors when I use them occasionally.

I've sliced myself twice.  Literally sliced.  I'm talking a sliver of skin something like an inch wide and a quarter-inch long.  But it's only happened twice.  I suspect that better form, or technique, or just slowing down would have avoided it completely.  When I use a brand new blade, it tends to cut me all to pieces.  But those cuts are the tiny little ones that look like they're bleeding badly, but then stop pretty quickly.  Those never seem to hurt.  In fact, I sometimes look at my face a minute or so later and only then realize I'm cut.  "Holy cow!" -- I hadn't felt them at all.  (The slices hurt like heck, though, just to be sure.)

That's my experience.  I'm sure others' mileage varies...

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
chrevbel said:
Ortho_cat said:
I get an okay shave from mine.  I tend to make multiple strokes, but I think I also pretty much do that with other razors when I use them occasionally.

I've sliced myself twice.  Literally sliced.  I'm talking a sliver of skin something like an inch wide and a quarter-inch long.  But it's only happened twice.  I suspect that better form, or technique, or just slowing down would have avoided it completely.  When I use a brand new blade, it tends to cut me all to pieces.  But those cuts are the tiny little ones that look like they're bleeding badly, but then stop pretty quickly.  Those never seem to hurt.  In fact, I sometimes look at my face a minute or so later and only then realize I'm cut.  "Holy cow!" -- I hadn't felt them at all.  (The slices hurt like heck, though, just to be sure.)

That's my experience.  I'm sure others' mileage varies...
Lol...I think that sounds a bit too dangerous for me. So I assume the old-school barber shop blades are even more difficult/dangerous to use?

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
Asteriktos said:
ozgeorge said:
I thought I saw an Opthalmologist on an Alaskan island, but it turned out to be an optical Aleutian.
That was really bad... my kind joke!  :D
I once posted ten puns to see if they would amuse anyone, but no pun in ten did.
Hey, I like your style...keep em comin'! ;)

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
Ortho_cat said:
ozgeorge said:
Asteriktos said:
ozgeorge said:
That was really bad... my kind joke!  :D
I once posted ten puns to see if they would amuse anyone, but no pun in ten did.
Hey, I like your style...keep em comin'! ;)
I'd love to but I have to ring my girlfriend. She's only a whiskey maker, but I love her still.

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
A little late to follow-up, but I agree with what Chrevbel said.  The blades are cheap and once you develop technique and determine equipment (primarily blades and soaps/creams) works best for you, it results in a much better shave.  It will take a good bit longer, especially at first, but the preparation and shave becomes a much more enjoyable experience.

There is a qualifier to the "cheap" assessment though, as it is fairly easy to overdo the experimentation and collecting of razors, blades, creams/soaps, brushes, aftershaves, etc.  Granted, a little self-control can overcome this.

I think my favorite part of traditional wet shaving is the use of "old fashioned" soaps/creams and a brush.  I'm by no means a person who is overly concerned with chemicals and such, but to me it's better than squirting stuff out of a can.  I've had a couple of nicks, but unless I'm very negligent/hurried, I hardly ever have them anymore.  Still, sometimes I'm forced to cheat, if running behind.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
Did you get this from our FB friend?

chrevbel

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
Lol...I think that sounds a bit too dangerous for me. So I assume the old-school barber shop blades are even more difficult/dangerous to use?
I tried one of those once, too.  The nostalgia factor was just too much to skip.  But it never really worked for me.  I sharpened the living daylights out of it, using a leather belt as a strop.  I never could get a good shave.  I imagine it's an acquired skill.  I finally gave up, and decided that safety razor shaving was all the nostalgia I really needed.  And certainly safer.  Straight razors are six inches long, unguarded and, well, razor sharp.  Definitely a keep-out-of-reach-of-kids item.

chrevbel

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
If you dissolved him in water, would he be a saleutian?

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
chrevbel said:
Ortho_cat said:
I tried one of those once, too.  The nostalgia factor was just too much to skip.  But it never really worked for me.  I sharpened the living daylights out of it, using a leather belt as a strop.  I never could get a good shave.  I imagine it's an acquired skill.  I finally gave up, and decided that safety razor shaving was all the nostalgia I really needed.  And certainly safer.  Straight razors are six inches long, unguarded and, well, razor sharp.  Definitely a keep-out-of-reach-of-kids item.
I love the idea and aesthetic of a straight razor, but like you said, I think the safety razor is enough nostalgia and additional attention to shaving for me... At least for now.