Random Postings

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
Ok, I missed this Sunday, I heard it was the procession of the Cross. Can anyone tell me what I missed?
Um, you missed me having no idea what to do. (Seriously, I think the people at the board here would have chuckled when they saw me panic and briefly consider running the exit! Oh, the Orthodox faux-pas I commit!  ::) I'm pretty sure that my priest wanted to laugh at the expression on my face.)

Today is one of those days where I feel like I'm going to get fired at work. I had a really tough assignment with a lot of difficult terminology, and I had to hand it in half-done (I have another word for that that I can't post here  ;D) because we're on a deadline. I do have editors but boy, do they whine when they get work like this.

I just want to hide from my phone and e-mail all afternoon...except I have more work to do.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
Asteriktos said:
Do you ever sneeze so hard that you can see little flashing bursts of light with your eyes? Groovy!
whoa...lay off the good stuff, man!  :D
What, does that just happen to me?  :angel: :D

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Ortho_cat said:
Ok, I missed this Sunday, I heard it was the procession of the Cross. Can anyone tell me what I missed?
Um, you missed me having no idea what to do. (Seriously, I think the people at the board here would have chuckled when they saw me panic and briefly consider running the exit! Oh, the Orthodox faux-pas I commit!  ::) I'm pretty sure that my priest wanted to laugh at the expression on my face.)

Today is one of those days where I feel like I'm going to get fired at work. I had a really tough assignment with a lot of difficult terminology, and I had to hand it in half-done (I have another word for that that I can't post here  ;D) because we're on a deadline. I do have editors but boy, do they whine when they get work like this.

I just want to hide from my phone and e-mail all afternoon...except I have more work to do.
lol! Don't worry sister, I have commited my fair share of orthodox 'faux pas' myself, and then some. Would you like to divulge, perhaps, so the rest of us learners don't make the same mistake? If not, that's ok too :)

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
lol! Don't worry sister, I have commited my fair share of orthodox 'faux pas' myself, and then some. Would you like to divulge, perhaps, so the rest of us learners don't make the same mistake? If not, that's ok too :)
No problem! (Maybe this will get me over the hurdle of having to talk to the priest about it when I next see him!  :D)

They had the procession, which...I've been a Catholic, so crossing myself while the cross and incense is coming by was pretty easy peasy.

I don't know how it differs with the churches...but at the one I attend, they distribute the antidoron at the very end of services. I read in some places that members will give you the bread, but I go up to receive. It's never been an issue. From where I was standing, I saw the priest distributing flowers that were at the foot of the cross, and I thought, "Okay, so I'll just pick up a flower and get the bread."

5 people were in front of me, and I realized that he was saying something to them, holding up the cross, and they were kissing it. I froze and I immediately got the deer in headlights look. I had a series of very inappropriate thoughts going on in my mind, and I swear that one of the voices was yelling "RUN!!!!"  ;D

I don't have an issue with venerating the cross or even kissing it (and I can only bring myself to kiss the icons in my home at this point) so I wasn't concerned about that. However, much like my nightmares of accidentally going up to communion, I didn't want to venerate the cross if it wasn't appropriate for me to do so as a non-Orthodox.

The moment went by really fast, but I swear he saw the panicked look in my eyes. I think he just told me the standard antidoron blessing and handed me a flower. I just bowed in front of the cross and made the sign of the cross before going to get the bread. I had no idea what to do. I think whoever was holding the cross had kind of pulled it back (I don't even remember who was at this point) so I wasn't about to lean forward and kiss the cross if it looked like they recognized that I didn't know what to do.

I was whining about it on the entire ride home, and my husband said, "Oh, we are going to make many more mistakes, and you know it."

I do!

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Ortho_cat said:
No problem! (Maybe this will get me over the hurdle of having to talk to the priest about it when I next see him!  :D)

They had the procession, which...I've been a Catholic, so crossing myself while the cross and incense is coming by was pretty easy peasy.

I don't know how it differs with the churches...but at the one I attend, they distribute the antidoron at the very end of services. I read in some places that members will give you the bread, but I go up to receive. It's never been an issue. From where I was standing, I saw the priest distributing flowers that were at the foot of the cross, and I thought, "Okay, so I'll just pick up a flower and get the bread."

5 people were in front of me, and I realized that he was saying something to them, holding up the cross, and they were kissing it. I froze and I immediately got the deer in headlights look. I had a series of very inappropriate thoughts going on in my mind, and I swear that one of the voices was yelling "RUN!!!!"  ;D

I don't have an issue with venerating the cross or even kissing it (and I can only bring myself to kiss the icons in my home at this point) so I wasn't concerned about that. However, much like my nightmares of accidentally going up to communion, I didn't want to venerate the cross if it wasn't appropriate for me to do so as a non-Orthodox.

The moment went by really fast, but I swear he saw the panicked look in my eyes. I think he just told me the standard antidoron blessing and handed me a flower. I just bowed in front of the cross and made the sign of the cross before going to get the bread. I had no idea what to do. I think whoever was holding the cross had kind of pulled it back (I don't even remember who was at this point) so I wasn't about to lean forward and kiss the cross if it looked like they recognized that I didn't know what to do.

I was whining about it on the entire ride home, and my husband said, "Oh, we are going to make many more mistakes, and you know it."

I do!
Ah, hey that's not so bad! I think you're giving yourself a hard time over nothing...I have a habit of doing the same ;) FWIW, in our parish, the catechumens are entirely welcome to participate in the venerating portions of the service, for example, when everyone goes up to venerate the hand cross after liturgy.

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
For some reason I feel like arguing with someone...maybe Catholics, maybe Protestants, maybe no one in particular...I think the purple demons are on my trail!  :(

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
For some reason I feel like arguing with someone...maybe Catholics, maybe Protestants, maybe no one in particular...I think the purple demons are on my trail!  :(
No they're not.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
Do you have a dog at home who has been especially chatty?  ;)

No seriously, try not to pick a fight. Take a deep breath. When I have that feeling, I just try to read more about my faith, something I hadn't studied before. Then I feel inadequate about wanting to pick a fight based on the tenets of my faith!

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Ortho_cat said:
No they're not.
How do you know?

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Ortho_cat said:
Do you have a dog at home who has been especially chatty?  ;)

No seriously, try not to pick a fight. Take a deep breath. When I have that feeling, I just try to read more about my faith, something I hadn't studied before. Then I feel inadequate about wanting to pick a fight based on the tenets of my faith!
Thanks for the advice, Ismi  :)

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Is it bad to do stations of the cross with a Catholic friend, or at least go with him and see how they do it?

Aw man, I hit 3K posts and I didn't even realize it...  :mad:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Ha! You need to start posting more, and pay more attention when you approach 4,000! 

\|/
(O)(O)
  <
\___/

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I missed post 200! What a milestone!  ;)

I'll wait until 1,000 to party.

Ugh, yesterday was one of those totally demoralizing days. I had to go to bed at 8 PM because I was lethargic all day and got absolutely nothing done...husband doesn't quite understand it (just attributing it to my illness) but it didn't feel normal at all. I really hope that today will be different because this has been going on for the past week and I am not feeling very encouraged to do any work at the moment...

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I officially hate the Miami Metrorail/Trirail system (okay, well not totally, but they stole $3.25 from my Metrorail ticket AT THE TRIRAIL station when they told me it shouldn't work, but apparently it does work!!!!)

So ya, bad one-hour-waste-of-time-on-the-phone day.

chrevbel

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pickles are good.  They're not always good, and some are better than others, of course.  Sweet gherkins (American usage) are consistently good.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Mmmm, pickles... I love 'em... especially balogna sandwiches, but also buffalo chicken subs, pizza, and all sorts of other things...

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I'm dying to try fried pickles.

Asteriktos, how dare you bring up buffalo chicken subs!  :'(  :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
Is it bad to do stations of the cross with a Catholic friend, or at least go with him and see how they do it?

Aw man, I hit 3K posts and I didn't even realize it...  :mad:
You should make a celebration post when you reach 3333 :)

IsmiLiora said:
Asteriktos, how dare you bring up buffalo chicken subs!  :'(  :)
Mmm, and don't forget Chicken Fajita subs as well!  ;D

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
We just got coupons to Steak & Shake in the mail they expire after Pascha! Yay! Cutting them out immediately.  :D

I also got my Mad Men Season 4 DVD in the mail yesterday (the only DVD I've ever pre-ordered...well, besides NCIS Season 7!). Hopefully after work I can watch an episode or two.

CBGardner

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Smash burger has the greatest fried pickles ever. I get them everytime.

IsmiLiora said:
I also got my Mad Men Season 4 DVD in the mail yesterday (the only DVD I've ever pre-ordered...well, besides NCIS Season 7!).
What else would you compare Mad Men to (stylistically)? My brother looooves this show and is trying to get me into it but I'm hesitant about taking on another show haha.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
CBGardner said:
What else would you compare Mad Men to (stylistically)? My brother looooves this show and is trying to get me into it but I'm hesitant about taking on another show haha.
Someone I heard compared it to Boardwalk Empire.

It's a lot of character development...sometimes it doesn't move very fast (for instance, try watching the first THREE episodes before giving your final opinion. I thought that the first one was kind of slow-moving).

It's pretty complex in its storyline, and the director and costume designer do everything very deliberately...like insanely so. The colors of the smallest items are symbolic, so I keep watching every episode and making up my own ideas as to what was intentional.

I was actually pretty late to the game. :) I rebelled watching it for a few years because I don't trust anything that's very popular (oh, how hipster am I  8) ). I was pretty wrong about this show! I love it.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:

Asteriktos, how dare you bring up buffalo chicken subs!  :'(  :)
Please go to a place with fryers and oil hot enough to do them justice. Delicious.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Someone explain to me why this guy is considered handsome...? Please...?

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
CBGardner said:
IsmiLiora said:
Smash burger has the greatest fried pickles ever. I get them everytime.
The place went out of business in my town before I had a chance to try them...fried pickes does sound good though, and possibly lenten?

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I don't think he's cute/handsome, but I like older non-pretty boy men. Meh.

Going to see the priest today! Whoo.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Other than the fact that every human being is beautiful in their own way...who said this particular one was "handsome"?  Who is he, anyway?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
His name is Curtis Stone, he's a chef that makes appearances on food/health shows (Top Chef, Biggest Loser, etc.). He is co-host of a network TV show (America's Next Great Restaurant) and is set to host Top Chef Masters. So basically he's all over the place if you watch those kind of shows. And every time he appears on the Biggest Loser all the girls comment on how hot he is, how they want to date him, etc. I think he's charismatic, I just don't understanding the hot/looks thing...

EDIT--Though I have to admit, it gives guys like me hope!  :D

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
His name is Curtis Stone, he's a chef that makes appearances on food/health shows (Top Chef, Biggest Loser, etc.). He is co-host of a network TV show (America's Next Great Restaurant) and is set to host Top Chef Masters. So basically he's all over the place if you watch those kind of shows. And every time he appears on the Biggest Loser all the girls comment on how hot he is, how they want to date him, etc. I think he's charismatic, I just don't understanding the hot/looks thing...

EDIT--Though I have to admit, it gives guys like me hope!  :D
I think that's the most attractive part of him...at least that's my hypothesis.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
With that other show he did...he invaded women's kitchens, cooked for them, and made them feel special and pretty with his Australian accent.

Seriously, this is a DUH. ;)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
I think that's the most attractive part of him...at least that's my hypothesis.
Hmm... I think I need to rethink my career path ...  :p

IsmiLiora said:
With that other show he did...he invaded women's kitchens, cooked for them, and made them feel special and pretty with his Australian accent.

Seriously, this is a DUH. ;)
Lol, Take Home Chef was pretty funny, especially when there was a husband involved. I wonder if they really let the guy know ahead of time what was going on, or just surprised him  :D

Darn... and I can't do anything about my accent either...