• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Saint Iaint

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.christconquers.wordpress.com
IsmiLiora said:
Microsoft IE is worse than nuclear weapons.

Google Chrome is nice. Firefox is starting to act really strange (refusing to let me input any words on the address bar and text fields, freezing, etc.), which stinks, because I use 3 different web browsers for different tasks, and I guess this puts Firefox out of the running...
I'm sure you've probably thought of this... but have you installed any add-ons recently?

Maybe something is conflicting with something else... Maybe try disabling your most recent add-on (or even all of your add-ons) and see if the problem goes away. At least then you'd know if that's where the problem was.

The reason I love Firefox so much is the absence of a corporate interest... the high level of personalization (I have an Orthodox Christian themed browser) and the add-ons.

But I have seen instances where the add-ons will conflict w/ each other and create little glitches of varying severity even to the point of freezing.

Also, someone mentioned (I forget who - the reply page won't show that far back now) that Firefox had failed to import their bookmarks. It's super-easy to just manually import bookmarks directly via the program files copy/pasting from one browser to another...

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Saint Iaint said:
IsmiLiora said:

Google Chrome is nice. Firefox is starting to act really strange (refusing to let me input any words on the address bar and text fields, freezing, etc.), which stinks, because I use 3 different web browsers for different tasks, and I guess this puts Firefox out of the running...
I'm sure you've probably thought of this... but have you installed any add-ons recently?

Maybe something is conflicting with something else... Maybe try disabling your most recent add-on (or even all of your add-ons) and see if the problem goes away. At least then you'd know if that's where the problem was.

The reason I love Firefox so much is the absence of a corporate interest... the high level of personalization (I have an Orthodox Christian themed browser) and the add-ons.

But I have seen instances where the add-ons will conflict w/ each other and create little glitches of varying severity even to the point of freezing.
Good point. I have a ton of add-ons attached to my Firefox browser, and I've noticed the impact this has on the browser's performance, not that I care. I know, though, that my Firefox browser was faster and had fewer problems before I added the add-ons, so I know what the problem is. I've just chosen to accept this degradation of performance as the natural consequence of the additional behavior I like and want.

Saint Iaint

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
PeterTheAleut said:
Saint Iaint said:
IsmiLiora said:

Good point. I have a ton of add-ons attached to my Firefox browser, and I've noticed the impact this has on the browser's performance, not that I care. I know, though, that my Firefox browser was faster and had fewer problems before I added the add-ons, so I know what the problem is. I've just chosen to accept this degradation of performance as the natural consequence of the additional behavior I like and want.
When you say (exact words):

"degradation of performance"
(Grin) ... Do you mean it's slowed down?

I've never noticed a slowdown on mine... You must have a LOT of add-ons!

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Saint Iaint said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Saint Iaint said:
IsmiLiora said:

Yeah, I do. The big slowdown is this: my Firefox browser takes much longer to open than it did before I installed the add-ons.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I'm sure it's the add-ons. Ugh, no tengo tiempo to deal with this! I will try to figure out what is specifically causing it later this week.

I have a big assignment coming up over the next week and I hope that I can measure up! It's difficult being a contractor, though, as I also have two other assignments to finish that week.  :-\ Lord have mercy!

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
By the way, is it just me or is RealPlayer the worst media program on the planet? Either that or Windows Media Player. AAAGH. I hate that I have to download separate programs for my media files.

Saint Iaint

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
PeterTheAleut said:
Saint Iaint said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Saint Iaint said:
IsmiLiora said:

Yeah, I do. The big slowdown is this: my Firefox browser takes much longer to open than it did before I installed the add-ons.
If you're still on Firefox 3.6 on Windows you could try this...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/startupservice/

Seems it works better in some situations than others... probably just depends on your overall configuration, OS, etc.

Worth a shot!

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Saint Iaint

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
IsmiLiora said:
By the way, is it just me or is RealPlayer the worst media program on the planet? Either that or Windows Media Player. AAAGH. I hate that I have to download separate programs for my media files.
I haven't found anything yet that my stock (free!) Ubuntu players can't handle.

I still have no complaints at all about Ubuntu 11.04. None.

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Saint Iaint said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Saint Iaint said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Saint Iaint said:
IsmiLiora said:

If you're still on Firefox 3.6 on Windows you could try this...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/startupservice/

Seems it works better in some situations than others... probably just depends on your overall configuration, OS, etc.

Worth a shot!

†IC XC†
†NI KA†
I'm using Firefox 4 now.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I have a netbook with Linux, and I love it! I think when I get another laptop (I want to use one for my gov stuff only...ah, if I only had the money), I am thinking of ditching Windows. I have had some issues with Open Office though, so I'm a bit hesitant about some problems I might encounter later on.

Don't get me wrong, I generally like Windows, though. I am just rebelling hard against IE upgrades and .docx formats.

Saint Iaint

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
IsmiLiora said:
I have a netbook with Linux, and I love it! I think when I get another laptop (I want to use one for my gov stuff only...ah, if I only had the money), I am thinking of ditching Windows. I have had some issues with Open Office though, so I'm a bit hesitant about some problems I might encounter later on.

Don't get me wrong, I generally like Windows, though. I am just rebelling hard against IE upgrades and .docx formats.
Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) now comes factory stock w/ 'Libre Office' rather than 'Open Office'...

It's much more like Microsoft Office.

PeterTheAleut said:
I'm using Firefox 4 now.
Yeah ditto.

I have Chromium too if I just need something quick (and just in case FF stops working or something).

OK. Breaktime. I've been on here constantly since my liberation!

FREEEEEEEDOMMM!

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

CBGardner

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
No it is indeed the worst media program EVER. Well its pretty close with the Zune software. It looks nice but the Zune software is so bloated and simple tasks take 4, 5 levels deep in the menus.
But I found a plugin for Winamp where I can control my Zune and android phone with it so thats what I've been using lately.

I don't know what any of you other posters think but I think the Chrome OS and Chrome Laptops look promising. My only issue is a huge one though: letting Google house all my files all the time on their server. Just a little scary.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Can't really stand the Zune software either. I hate to say it, but Itunes was much better (and that's saying a LOT)! I did use Copy Trans Suite for my iPod transfers, so maybe I should use that with the Zune. I haven't used Winamp since around 2005, hah. I should check that out.

I totally agree with the fear of storing everything on Google! That's what I have backups of backups for...and I really need another external drive to ease my fears. Sigh.

CBGardner

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Can't really stand the Zune software either. I hate to say it, but Itunes was much better (and that's saying a LOT)! I did use Copy Trans Suite for my iPod transfers, so maybe I should use that with the Zune. I haven't used Winamp since around 2005, hah. I should check that out.

I totally agree with the fear of storing everything on Google! That's what I have backups of backups for...and I really need another external drive to ease my fears. Sigh.
Thats why I don't like all these backup services like Carbonite. You're taking all your info and giving it to someone else. I prefer to do my own backup thank you! Though it helps that I sell technology products. Its a bit easier when you get everything like external drives at cost haha.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Oh, if I weren't married....yes, I would marry someone for access to discounted external drives. What can I say, I'm a very pragmatic person.  ;D

This assignment is driving me crazy. I only have time for 7-10 minute breaks an hour until late tonight, which only leaves me with a few options. Posting on OC.net is apparently my choice! ;)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
While I was trying to kill time today and strolling through the frozen foods aisles, I noticed that our Walmart is now carrying (Barber Foods) Chicken Kiev. This totally made my day. I mean, sure, it still tastes like frozen/reheated food, but even a merely above average chicken kiev is still heavenly  ;D

CBGardner

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
While I was trying to kill time today and strolling through the frozen foods aisles, I noticed that our Walmart is now carrying (Barber Foods) Chicken Kiev. This totally made my day. I mean, sure, it still tastes like frozen/reheated food, but even a merely above average chicken kiev is still heavenly  ;D
I'd compare those with the frozen chicken cordon bleu. Either the inside is cold or the outside is mic-ed to the max. Can't figure out why I still eat them though.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
My friend and I made the chicken kiev one night in college, several years ago. I put my fork in the chicken to cut it open and butter spurted out, hitting my skirt, the table, and the wall of her apartment. Was the buttery deliciousness worth it, despite the cleanup? ABSOLUTELY!

(Chicken Kiev IN Kiev is the best, though. Ha ha ha!)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I wish people would stop posting so I could go to sleep.  :angel:
Again... if people would just stop posting for 15 minutes so I could get to sleep...

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Ok, this is ridiculous, it's 3am already! I'm making a run for it...

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Last day working on this : http://www.semissourian.com/story/1728378.html (Quake exercise tests response plans in eight states)

Fake earthquakes are really exhausting!

Reaction score
Well, my love of Japan just intensified:

"British comic actor Russell Brand was expelled from Japan yesterday, his pop star wife Katy Perry tweeted as she arrived for a series of concerts."

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/people/russell-brand-deported-from-japan-tweets-katy-perry-20110523-1ezmo.html

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
Well, my love of Japan just intensified:

"British comic actor Russell Brand was expelled from Japan yesterday, his pop star wife Katy Perry tweeted as she arrived for a series of concerts."

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/people/russell-brand-deported-from-japan-tweets-katy-perry-20110523-1ezmo.html
He was a guest on Conan a few months ago. He was really funny................and lucky

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Mother Schmucker, I left my Zune on automatic sync! After moving all my music to a hard drive, my songs disappeared.  :mad: There's another 2 hours spent to manage technology.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
There is a tree outside my window. A lot of birds come and go from there. Also, some ducks have built a nest on the lawn. You can hear birdsong almost any time of day... very sweet.  :)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Mother Schmucker, I left my Zune on automatic sync! After moving all my music to a hard drive, my songs disappeared.  :mad: There's another 2 hours spent to manage technology.
In USA, you manage technology. In Soviet Union, technology manage YOU!

CBGardner

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
IsmiLiora said:
In USA, you manage technology. In Soviet Union, technology manage YOU!
Hahaha +1

Edit: I told you to get off that Zune software!