Random Postings

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Hope for the best! When you graduate and get your license, we can call you "Dr. Asteriktos."  :)

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I turned the paper in, but it was awful. I guess whatever points I get from it I'll happily live with.
I had so many papers the past two semesters for Evolutionary Biology and Abrahamic Religious Theology classes, I thought I was going to die. lol

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Even though I believe that I'm a fairly good speller, I misspell "guerrilla" and "missile" constantly and have to catch myself.

This is pretty embarrassing when you're writing about Latin America and/or the Cuban Missile Crisis.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Even though I believe that I'm a fairly good speller, I misspell "guerrilla" and "missile" constantly and have to catch myself.

This is pretty embarrassing when you're writing about Latin America and/or the Cuban Missile Crisis.
There is a blog I read called Global Guerrillas - the only reason I can spell that word without looking it up.

I generally say Rockets instead of Missiles because from years of wargaming I have learned that the first four letters of Missile pretty much tells you what you are going to do most of the time.  When you shoot a Rocket you tend to rock it!

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Wargaming? We need to be best friends, ASAP.

Love the missile vs. rocket. Love it!

I'm just starting to write an article that's due at 9 AM tomorrow....too bad I spent 10 hours on other work today. Argh! I'm so exhausted. Luckily, Big Love (I KNOW) is keeping me company for the duration. Long night ahead.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Azurestone said:
Asteriktos said:
I turned the paper in, but it was awful. I guess whatever points I get from it I'll happily live with.
F
I'll probably never know (which ain't such a bad thing). He hasn't updated the grades on blackboard since the 2nd week, and all I'll get at the end of the semester is the final grade. *shrugs* One more history test tomorrow and I'm free of studying and homework for 3 weeks... yes!

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:

I'm just starting to write an article that's due at 9 AM tomorrow....too bad I spent 10 hours on other work today. Argh! I'm so exhausted. Luckily, Big Love (I KNOW) is keeping me company for the duration. Long night ahead.
Very well then.  DO you do table top or online?

I really honestly don't miss the days of having to have things written by a certain time.  Have you seen Deadwood?

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
vamrat said:
Have you seen Deadwood?
Using Deadwood as "company" while doing something else is sacrilege.
True.  May Al Swearengen forgive me. 

Swearengen + Mr. Wu = Win.  Tigerblood, even.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
vamrat said:
IsmiLiora said:

I really honestly don't miss the days of having to have things written by a certain time.  Have you seen Deadwood?
Ah, I've wanted to try it, but I don't think I ever have. Wait -- does Heroscape or Warhammer count? Those are the two that I've played (and Risk obviously -- but would you call that a war game, too?). I'm actually quite awful at strategy games. I don't know why. I think in the abstract on a deeper level. I'd be a horrible neorealist.

My husband and friend always give me a quick "lecture" after each game (telling me what I've done wrong and suggesting what I should have done -- at the worst time, since there's still steam coming out of my ears), but all I hear is "Whomp, whomp."

Plus, Warhammer is insanely confusing. My friend has to dumb it down for me when I play with him because I've never read the rulebook. I don't know how they memorize the rules, but he and his friends apparently can spend hours arguing over a technicality.

I do want to improve, but I think that you really have to have the right mindset for strategy. Alas, I think it's escaped me completely.

And LOL about Deadwood. I've heard a lot of good things about it. I really don't need another TV show addiction (unless it's on Netflix), but I'm thinking of checking it out soon since I'm starting to get more into Westerns. I already have 5 DVDs lined up that I'm planning to buy. Yikes!

Dyhn

Reaction score
Poppy said:
Has anyone read the beginning of this thread?? like about 20 pages in lolOl

List of major threats to the growth of Orthodoxy

(1) tea totalism
#2 The common spoon

*shudders*

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
vamrat said:
IsmiLiora said:

Ah, I've wanted to try it, but I don't think I ever have. Wait -- does Heroscape or Warhammer count? Those are the two that I've played (and Risk obviously -- but would you call that a war game, too?). I'm actually quite awful at strategy games. I don't know why. I think in the abstract on a deeper level. I'd be a horrible neorealist.

My husband and friend always give me a quick "lecture" after each game (telling me what I've done wrong and suggesting what I should have done -- at the worst time, since there's still steam coming out of my ears), but all I hear is "Whomp, whomp."

Plus, Warhammer is insanely confusing. My friend has to dumb it down for me when I play with him because I've never read the rulebook. I don't know how they memorize the rules, but he and his friends apparently can spend hours arguing over a technicality.

I do want to improve, but I think that you really have to have the right mindset for strategy. Alas, I think it's escaped me completely.

And LOL about Deadwood. I've heard a lot of good things about it. I really don't need another TV show addiction (unless it's on Netflix), but I'm thinking of checking it out soon since I'm starting to get more into Westerns. I already have 5 DVDs lined up that I'm planning to buy. Yikes!
Warhammer certainly counts (though historical purists might disagree  ;)). I don't know what Heroscape is.  Do you play Warhammer or Warhammer 40,000?  (Are they using spears and old fashioned stuff or guns?)  Arguing over a technicality is called "rules lawyering".  In my circle of friends that gets you pistol-whipped.  Then again, we've been playing for a decade now so we have the majority of the rules down, but until you've played a couple dozen games it can be confusing. 

If you are ever in Omaha let me know and we'll play Force on Force or Flames of War.  FoF is more confusing than WH but much more realistic and it's scenario based so no technicalities are going to determine the game.  (Most of the guys on the FoF forum are combat veterans and one was a contractor in Iraq and Afghanistan, so you can tell it's pretty realism-centered).  Flames of War is pretty much Warhammer in World War II with the men on bases of 3-5 men instead of individual guys.

Basically, the key to strategy is to think a few moves ahead and then be able to conceptualize it in game terms.  But really, you would probably enjoy playing against me...I have got the loosing part down.  (I actually got the "Dunkirk Award" at a FoW tournament once - that is the crappiest player out of twenty+)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Congrats :) And I've tried "divine" a few times now and don't seem to make that mistake (though I certainly do make other mistakes when trying to type too fast). What do you mean by "fingers do the typing"?

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
vamrat said:
Warhammer certainly counts (though historical purists might disagree  ;)). I don't know what Heroscape is.  Do you play Warhammer or Warhammer 40,000?  (Are they using spears and old fashioned stuff or guns?)  Arguing over a technicality is called "rules lawyering".  In my circle of friends that gets you pistol-whipped.  Then again, we've been playing for a decade now so we have the majority of the rules down, but until you've played a couple dozen games it can be confusing. 

If you are ever in Omaha let me know and we'll play Force on Force or Flames of War.  FoF is more confusing than WH but much more realistic and it's scenario based so no technicalities are going to determine the game.  (Most of the guys on the FoF forum are combat veterans and one was a contractor in Iraq and Afghanistan, so you can tell it's pretty realism-centered).  Flames of War is pretty much Warhammer in World War II with the men on bases of 3-5 men instead of individual guys.

Basically, the key to strategy is to think a few moves ahead and then be able to conceptualize it in game terms.  But really, you would probably enjoy playing against me...I have got the loosing part down.  (I actually got the "Dunkirk Award" at a FoW tournament once - that is the crappiest player out of twenty+)
I've played Warhammer 40,000, I believe. It's all modern weaponry -- tanks, guns, etc.

If you look up Heroscape, it's a game where you can build the board out of these hexagonal shaped tiles (and you can make the terrain as rugged or as flat as you want). They sell little plastic figurines, which you use to form your armies. What I like about it is that each figure has a corresponding card with their stats (defense, offense, range, move, special moves, etc.).

They really differ, so it's a matter of creating the perfect army. My husband already unfortunately has that down pat, so I add a variation: pick as many characters that total up to 1000 points, or randomly pick 10 cards (eyes closed), and use the army that you get.

We also kind of made up our own rules along the way, which doesn't help at all, especially when someone makes a controversial move. Now we use the rulebook, just to save our relationship. ;)

I'll have to look up the games you mentioned -- we're always looking for new ones, although I admittedly haven't had time to play in a couple of months. Sigh. I will gladly match up with you if I ever get to Omaha someday! But I think you are underestimating your skills, especially if you were playing in a tournament with really skilled players. Those guys are hardcore.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
What do you mean by "fingers do the typing"?
Where typing skills are such that you don't even think about where the fingers are going. "-ing" at the end of a word is typed almost like a single character, whereas "-ine" takes a bit more thought. If you're thinking about typing the word like "divine", you will almost certainly get it right - but if you're just letting your fingers glide along with little attention to what they're actually doing, "-ing" seems to be the default.

Definitely not the "hunt and peck" system.

I'm old enough that I learned to type on a manual typewriter - yes, the ones that have the moving carriage and a bell that dings as you approach the end of a line and have to return the carriage manually. In the typing classroom, the keys were all blank. Looking down at the fingers was no help whatsoever. Learn the home keys and go from there. A challenge to learn, but it worked. Without wraparound text, we even had to learn syllabification!

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Ahh, ok, I get ya now :) I used to type stuff on my mom's type writer when I was a kid, just for fun, but by the time I needed to learn how to really type they had those new fangled computers in the schools

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Ahh, ok, I get ya now :) I used to type stuff on my mom's type writer when I was a kid, just for fun, but by the time I needed to learn how to really type they had those new fangled computers in the schools
Man, you boys are old.  :p

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
Asteriktos said:
what is fangled??

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Poppy said:
Asteriktos said:
what is fangled??
Here it be... :)

Also, this spammer making all these threads is REALLY getting irritating... I wish I could throw the ban hammer down with the force of a thousand gods on it!

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
genesisone said:
Asteriktos said:
What do you mean by "fingers do the typing"?
Where typing skills are such that you don't even think about where the fingers are going. "-ing" at the end of a word is typed almost like a single character, whereas "-ine" takes a bit more thought. If you're thinking about typing the word like "divine", you will almost certainly get it right - but if you're just letting your fingers glide along with little attention to what they're actually doing, "-ing" seems to be the default.
This is made very clear once you begin typing in a new language even if you are fluent in it.

Very frustrating.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
celticfan1888 said:
Asteriktos said:
Man, you boys are old.  :p
I'm not that old and I still used a typewriter for a couple of years during my childhood!

As a contract transcriber now, I couldn't imagine using a typewriter, the horrors. When I get tired, my accuracy goes downhill really quickly. (I'm talking about falling asleep at the keyboard tired, not basic fatigue, which I always have anyway.)

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Sometimes I read the posts on this board and I think, "Ha ha, weirdos, you have no lives!"

But I am actually very jealous of the knowledge that many seem to possess on this board. I know that I've only been a catechumen for about 6 months now, but as always, I have unrealistic expectations of myself. I have a lot of admiration for the way that you all know so much about the faith. Even the inquirers put me to utter shame.

Plus, I've also just realized that I am no good at memorizing facts, and will probably never be that person anyway. Oh, well. God gives different gifts to different people! We can't all be walking encyclopedias. ;)

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Poppy said:
Asteriktos said:
what is fangled??
If computers are "new fangled", then I guess this is "old fangled"  ;D. Don't think nuthin' kin be jus' plain "fangled".
Source

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Argh! I got home to find our ceiling-mounted fire alarm is beeping, probably because the battery's dead.

And I can't unattach it because my sciatica's acting up and I can't climb the ladder.  So I have to wait till my husband gets home (at least an hour more)!

Meanwhile, our indoor kitty cat is freaking out - and I may join her!!!

Aaagh!!

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Sometimes I read the posts on this board and I think, "Ha ha, weirdos, you have no lives!"

But I am actually very jealous of the knowledge that many seem to possess on this board. I know that I've only been a catechumen for about 6 months now, but as always, I have unrealistic expectations of myself. I have a lot of admiration for the way that you all know so much about the faith. Even the inquirers put me to utter shame.

Plus, I've also just realized that I am no good at memorizing facts, and will probably never be that person anyway. Oh, well. God gives different gifts to different people! We can't all be walking encyclopedias. ;)
Stop your self-pity.

Facts just ain't my weapon but wit and willingness to use fiery rhetoric up to physical intimidation to prove peanut butter during fasting is a grave sin. And that is with my Priest. You should see how I behave with the laity. No quarter.

Heart PWNs the head.

You have me beat by light years.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Things Netflix know about me that you probably wouldn't guess . . .

I love their mouthful confabulation of genres they believe you would be interested in.

Ones that I might not care to share, but nonetheless Netflix knows my heart in ways the no person does. After rating over 16k films and TV shows, it sure better.

You might like films from:

Heartfelt Independent Tearjerkers

Teen TV Shows Featuring a Strong Female Lead

Understated Opposites Attract Comedies

Exciting High School TV Shows

Witty TV Shows Featuring a Strong Female Lead

And I had to include one obviously:

Dark Dysfunctional-Family Documentaries

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Poppy said:
Asteriktos said:
what is fangled??
Poppy,

Do you create your animated avatars?

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
theistgal said:
Argh! I got home to find our ceiling-mounted fire alarm is beeping, probably because the battery's dead.

And I can't unattach it because my sciatica's acting up and I can't climb the ladder.  So I have to wait till my husband gets home (at least an hour more)!

Meanwhile, our indoor kitty cat is freaking out - and I may join her!!!

Aaagh!!
OK, it's fixed now - oops, there it goes again!!!  :eek:

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:

I love their mouthful confabulation of genres they believe you would be interested in.

Ones that I might not care to share, but nonetheless Netflix knows my heart in ways the no person does. After rating over 16k films and TV shows, it sure better.

Well, I like to think they got this one wrong, but for what its lacks in accuracy (I hope) it makes up for in precision:

Feel-good Coming-of-age Movies for ages 8 to 10

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
^ LOL Orthonorm, have you been watching the Bratz movies lately?

I don't have Netflix yet (we're setting it up after we move), but I imagine that my recs might look like this:
-Reality TV show starting vapid women who spend whole day shopping
-Law/cop dramas with little to no backstory of characters
-TV shows/films set in the 1950s
-TV shows about unconventional families
-Medical dramas without the drama

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I use Netflix through streaming on the X Box 360 sometimes. The nature films with flyovers of the national parks look really neat in HD.  :)

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
orthonorm said:

Hah. I share an account with my sister, so our combined tastes can get some odd results:

Family Feature Animation for ages 11 to 12
Violent Foreign Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Suspenseful Chinese Action & Adventure
Dark Science & Nature Documentaries
Imaginative Space Travel TV Shows
Inspiring Biographical Movies
Exciting Japanese Fantasy
British Talking-Animals Kids' TV
Goofy Cult Mad-Scientist Movies
Historical Documentaries

All right, so none of them are as interesting as yours, but I started posting it and didn't feel like stopping.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Just three months after her cousin William, the Queen's granddaughter Zara Phillips, MBE has tied the knot with her boyfriend Mike Tindall, MBE (a pro rugby star who plays for Gloucester Rugby and the England national team).

Royal correspondent Paul Harrison reports.

http://news.sky.com/home/video/16040549