Random Postings

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Anyone here follow BPL?  is the season starting on the 13th?  I'm pretty sure it is, but i thought i'd verify.  (yes i could look myself, but what's an online community for!?!?!) 
YES!!!!  ;D

And United will be gearing up for title #20.  :police:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
In July oc.net set records for the most new posts in a month and the most page views in a month.

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
celticfan1888 said:
serb1389 said:
Anyone here follow BPL?  is the season starting on the 13th?  I'm pretty sure it is, but i thought i'd verify.  (yes i could look myself, but what's an online community for!?!?!) 
YES!!!!  ;D

ugh more sports pics in the Picture thread
::)

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Poppy said:
celticfan1888 said:
serb1389 said:
YES!!!!  ;D

ugh more sports pics in the Picture thread
::)
:D

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
celticfan1888 said:
serb1389 said:
YES!!!!  ;D

I'm a Liverpool fan.  If the Reds can get their you know what's in gear, I think they can really make a run for it.  I'm liking the lineup more and more, but they need to break through from the perennial 6th spot. 

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
celticfan1888 said:
serb1389 said:
YES!!!!  ;D

I'm a Liverpool fan.  If the Reds can get their you know what's in gear, I think they can really make a run for it.  I'm liking the lineup more and more, but they need to break through from the perennial 6th spot. 
Well with Daglish back as manager I have to admit, I am fearing Liverpool for the first time in a while. With Suarez at stricker, they can be VERY dangerous.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Azurestone said:
Asteriktos said:
I turned the paper in, but it was awful. I guess whatever points I get from it I'll happily live with.
F
Based on the grade I just got for the course, that's probably about the grade i got for the paper.  :-\

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Second Chance said:
Day One: Spending Spree
Day Two: Starvation
Sounds like my life, only I spread it out over a longer period of time...

Step one: Get a very modest amount of money.
Step two: Pay bills and take care of necessities.
Step three: Impulsively buy unnecessary items like books.
Step four: Run out of money and live on a diet of ramen noodles and tap water for several days until I get more money.
Step five: Repeat.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
I have a second meeting with Major League Soccer club Houston Dynamo on Saturday.

The first meeting went well, they interviewed me and I went through many drills (I did better on the drills than the interview lol).

Hopefully within the next few months I'll be a professional footballer.  :laugh:

Please pray for me.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Tomorrow, Mr. Ismi and I may be signing the lease so we can move into the hipster downtown area! SO excited -- not about the hipsters, but about being able to walk everywhere and have the best access to public transportation.

Of course, money will be tight...not that we have much time to spend it....

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Tomorrow, Mr. Ismi and I may be signing the lease so we can move into the hipster downtown area! SO excited -- not about the hipsters, but about being able to walk everywhere and have the best access to public transportation.

Of course, money will be tight...not that we have much time to spend it....
What every hipster says.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Is there such a category as a proto-hipster? We were hipster before hipsters were hipster?

PS Plus, I don't drive, so my reasoning is legit. :p

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Orthonorm spends so much time complaining about hipsters, it's almost as if he thinks he's... hipper than everybody else. Which would make him what, exactly?...  :eek:

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
biro said:
Orthonorm spends so much time complaining about hipsters, it's almost as if he thinks he's... hipper than everybody else. Which would make him what, exactly?...  :eek:
That would put in him in the "doth protest too much" category!

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Do you really want to call me out?

I am better than you all and hipper.

That is my problem with hipsters, they are uniform insects that are constantly drawn to my blazing aura of the obscurant, blinded and flying headlong into me one after another attempting to find something authentically other.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
That is my problem with hipsters, they are uniform insects that are constantly drawn to my blazing aura of the obscurant, blinded and flying headlong into me one after another attempting to find something authentically other.
:'( :'(

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
I have some hipster related questions (the only thing I know is that hipsters do not self-identify as such):

How is it related to a subculture?  Is it a sub-subculture, an archsubculture, or none of the above?  Did mainstream folks just decide one day that it wasn't "cool" to be perceived as mainstream?

Do hipsters listen to a specific kind of music?  Most subcultures traditionally identify with a particular form of music, usually being somewhat eponymous, e.g. punks=punk rock, metalheads=heavy metal, mods=mod (and soul and reggae/ska), rockers=rock 'n roll/rockabilly, ravers=rubbish, etc.  Seems they don't, or I don't know about it.  I'm guessing it's horrid though.

CBGardner

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlGqN3AKOsA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7VgNQbZdaw

A good sample.

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
Cognomen said:
Poppy said:
celticfan1888 said:
Poppy said:
I was born in liverpool
I forgive you for being a scouser.  ;)
oi....
I think it's actually unforgivable, like blaspheming the Holy Spirit.  :police:
I was BORN there i never grew up there.....and yeah i am proud of everything about where i was born and the country i live in.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Cognomen said:
I have some hipster related questions (the only thing I know is that hipsters do not self-identify as such):

How is it related to a subculture?  Is it a sub-subculture, an archsubculture, or none of the above?  Did mainstream folks just decide one day that it wasn't "cool" to be perceived as mainstream?

Do hipsters listen to a specific kind of music?  Most subcultures traditionally identify with a particular form of music, usually being somewhat eponymous, e.g. punks=punk rock, metalheads=heavy metal, mods=mod (and soul and reggae/ska), rockers=rock 'n roll/rockabilly, ravers=rubbish, etc.  Seems they don't, or I don't know about it.  I'm guessing it's horrid though.
Indie rock is generally the primary component of a hipster's iPod, but this can vary. Underground hip hop, trip hop, trance, and industrial are also unpopular enough to be popular. Some classic rock, folk, blues, jazz, and/or classical may be included to ensure other hipsters of their culturedness. The emphasis is less on the type of music and more on the obscurity of it and very strong opinions related to it.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
That person said:
Cognomen said:

How is it related to a subculture?  Is it a sub-subculture, an archsubculture, or none of the above?  Did mainstream folks just decide one day that it wasn't "cool" to be perceived as mainstream?

Do hipsters listen to a specific kind of music?  Most subcultures traditionally identify with a particular form of music, usually being somewhat eponymous, e.g. punks=punk rock, metalheads=heavy metal, mods=mod (and soul and reggae/ska), rockers=rock 'n roll/rockabilly, ravers=rubbish, etc.  Seems they don't, or I don't know about it.  I'm guessing it's horrid though.
Indie rock is generally the primary component of a hipster's iPod, but this can vary. Underground hip hop, trip hop, trance, and industrial are also unpopular enough to be popular. Some classic rock, folk, blues, jazz, and/or classical may be included to ensure other hipsters of their culturedness. The emphasis is less on the type of music and more on the obscurity of it and very strong opinions related to it.
orthonorm said:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=615476;topic=7837.9540;sesc=7c0929bfcc95454ab61b344a3937a994

Or the appropriation of the completely and openly "popular" expressions of culture decades gone by with an ironic twist (which happens to be, just to own or know about the dar* thing). The more obscure the pop reference or more obscure the commercial fetishization of it, the better.

If your girlfriend had a Small Wonder school lunch box, she might be a hipster.

In the search to be different, they end up the same.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The thing with so-call hipsterism it that some see it as a counter-cultural sub-group.

That is about the most insane thing written or those hipsters or more brilliantly ironic than I thought. For it is the absolute first "counter-cultural movement" *vomit*, which is solely based on consumerism.

It is not the counter to American culture but the height of it.

Not only has the dissent been commodified (we saw this growing from the 50s-90s):

http://www.amazon.com/Commodify-Your-Dissent-Salvos-Baffler/dp/0393316734

But the dissent has been stripped away and American popular counter-culture shown to be what it always has been at its essence, the very essence of what it attempts to counter: Americanism, identity via consumption.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I thought it was a free country, and people could do what they want. But I guess not, now, because they have to get past the guy who's put himself at the gate- and who's the snobbier by far.

By the way, I've never met a "hipster."

Why do you care, anyway? Don't you have anything better to do?  ???

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
[quote author="orthonorm"]But the dissent has been stripped away and American popular counter-culture shown to be what it always has been at its essence, the very essence of what it attempts to counter: Americanism, identity via consumption.[/quote]

Says you. Because you live in a tree, wear clothes made out of leaves, and never buy anything.  ::)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:

Biro, I'll tell you ahead of time, we can both keep doing this back and forth forever. I am game, if you are. I always liked that one Dr. Seuss story abou the two guys who wouldn't move of out each other's way and the whole world just built itself around them.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
[quote author="orthonorm"]But the dissent has been stripped away and American popular counter-culture shown to be what it always has been at its essence, the very essence of what it attempts to counter: Americanism, identity via consumption.
Says you. Because you live in a tree, wear clothes made out of leaves, and never buy anything.  ::)
[/quote]

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
[quote author="orthonorm"]But the dissent has been stripped away and American popular counter-culture shown to be what it always has been at its essence, the very essence of what it attempts to counter: Americanism, identity via consumption.
[/quote]

I'll let Theo tell you the fallacy you are making here. He likes that stuff.

I am just going to say it isn't a very clever critique. Sorta cliched. If you are going to disagree at least entertain me.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
A refutation of you is actually quite easy, but I only have time to look at things from one angle: that being, why are you so obsessed with the word hipster? This is quite obvious to anyone who thinks about it. First, one anagram of hipster is "the rips"; I would conjecture, therefore, that you have some gi issues and "the rips" is a euphemism for that, and that you are being drawn to the word hipster indirectly through some kind of psychosomatic 6th sense. Sort of how my pap used to always saying that he knew it was going to storm because his feet hurt. Only not like that. Second, let us do a rather simple assigning of numbers to letters, so that a=1, b=2, and so on. Hipster would then be 8/9/16/19/20/5/18. Adding the numbers would give us 95. As is common knowledge, the mass of Saturn is 95 times that of the Earth. And what is unique to Saturn? Obviously that it is the only planet that is less dense than water. Thus orthonorm, by subconsciously connecting all these dots, realised that hipsters are really much less dense than himself, and, being enraged, began to rail against them with a mighty howl. Third and finally, Cosmo Kramer was a hipster dufus, ergo being a hipster is cool (Cosmo Kramer is not to be confused with Michael Richards).

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
A refutation of you is actually quite easy, but I only have time to look at things from one angle: that being, why are you so obsessed with the word hipster? This is quite obvious to anyone who thinks about it. First, one anagram of hipster is "the rips"; I would conjecture, therefore, that you have some gi issues and "the rips" is a euphemism for that, and that you are being drawn to the word hipster indirectly through some kind of psychosomatic 6th sense. Sort of how my pap used to always saying that he knew it was going to storm because his feet hurt. Only not like that. Second, let us do a rather simple assigning of numbers to letters, so that a=1, b=2, and so on. Hipster would then be 8/9/16/19/20/5/18. Adding the numbers would give us 95. As is common knowledge, the mass of Saturn is 95 times that of the Earth. And what is unique to Saturn? Obviously that it is the only planet that is less dense than water. Thus orthonorm, by subconsciously connecting all these dots, realised that hipsters are really much less dense than himself, and, being enraged, began to rail against them with a mighty howl. Third and finally, Cosmo Kramer was a hipster dufus, ergo being a hipster is cool (Cosmo Kramer is not to be confused with Michael Richards).
Why aren't you curing cancer again? Or optioning the next Summer comedy blockbuster?

EDIT: See biro, this is how you put me in my place.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
The definition of hipster can be rather fluid, but I think there are some common characteristics.

1) They like taking photos, usually of themselves.
2) Their style of dress isn't minimalist, but more like "How much **** can I pile on so I look deliberately ugly?""
3) They usually embrace Apple technology
4) Most of them have a twitter/blog/fake business on the side, where they sell Goodwill finds for 10x the price.
5) They inappropriately adopt cultural traditions for God knows what reason.
6) They talk about how "different" and "weird" they are all the time.

I don't really mind the hipster moniker btw...I don't think that I am one (but I guess all hipsters think that as well), but I am a little crazy about being anti-waste, went to a liberal arts college, love analyzing other cultures too much, dress like an urban hippie chick, etc. etc. I like to think that I don't embrace the worst qualities of the hipster. ;)

In unrelated news, the landlord still needs to do a cleaning on the apartment so we aren't moving in until Wednesday.  :mad: I offered to do the cleaning myself but he didn't take me up on that offer. Who wouldn't?!!!

Reaction score
I stole this quote from wikipedia, though I wish I could claim authorship:

"Hipster is what happens when pastiche and irony exhaust themselves as aesthetics".

Perfect summation.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:

"Hipster is what happens when pastiche and irony exhaust themselves me as aesthetics".

Perfect summation.
My change.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:

"Hipster is what happens when pastiche and irony exhaust themselves as aesthetics".

Perfect summation.
I feel like a hipster probably wrote that.  :)

Other randomness: Has anyone visited their local Borders, now that they are closing? I am actually pretty upset about it, because it's the last bookstore in our town (besides the used bookstores run by hippies who don't know how to organize the books or run a business properly). We just had another one close a few months ago.

But being the lemonade gal that I am, I have been stopping by occasionally to pick up some books. Mr. Ismi has me on a limit because we're moving (luckily that limit is lifted once we're in the new apartment! whoo). The prices aren't good enough to buy from the main sections yet, but I've been going through the clearance. Got a bunch of Arabic newspapers, some new travelogues and political books, and I raided the foreign language section. Picked up some "How to learn" books for Greek, Serbian, Czech, etc, schizophrenic about foreign languages as I am.

I like to think that the Kindle is restraining me from buying more, but I really doubt that.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Meh. More bad book happenings. I was just thinking about the state of real books tonight. Libraries are one of the greatest inventions of man, and by the time I'm old enough to retire they'll probably be extinct. My whole world is collapsing around me. :( :( :(

Anyway, life moves on  :)