Random Postings

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
It doesn't count if half of them are about bacon. :p

Up working again this morning. Work this week has been beyond excruciating. I want to go out and do nothing this weekend, but with Hurricane Irene on the doorstep, looks like we can't do much except join the entire state at Wal-Mart and fight over the last loaf of bread. SIGH.

Reaction score
celticfan1888 said:
Achronos said:
Speaking of this whole marriage thing, my problem is I need 5 women. One to cook, one for sex, one to be the mother of my kids, one to have an intelligent conversation with and the 5th one should be a spare just in case one of the others break down.

So far in my dating experience I met one women who managed to get about 3 of the qualities outlined.
You can get a girl with all of the amazing qualities, trust me, just odds are they'll leave you.  :'(
Solidarity, bro.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Poor boys. Do YOU all know how to cook?

(For the record, I do, but didn't learn until college because my parents thought that I wasn't "capable" of learning home ec-related stuff._

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
deum-quaerens.blogspot.com
IsmiLiora said:
Poor boys. Do YOU all know how to cook?

(For the record, I do, but didn't learn until college because my parents thought that I wasn't "capable" of learning home ec-related stuff._
Yes. My father cooked though, so I learned from him.

I often have to help my wife cook, e.g. "can you come in here and taste this and see what it needs?".

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I would die for some good varenyky, but I am so lazy about making the dough.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Every weekend in the summer I have to cook for 100 people.  The ladies of the church take the summer off, so, I take over the kitchen duties. I don't people to get out of the habit that they can come to the hall and get some food, and sit and chat.

So, every Saturday during the summer months, I make borsch (beet, tomatoe, onion, beef stock, veggie, cabbage....soup), varenyki (potatoe dumplings) smothered in carmelized onions and sour cream, plus a dessert - sometimes cherry or apple pie, sometimes poppy log, sometimes cheesecake....whatever mood I am in!

Come on over!

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
When I was in Ukraine, everyone I dined with ate their varenyky smothered in mayo (or mayo mixed with ketchup). Dis-gusting!

I will happily join for some of the green borshch and the dumplings. And the kovbasa is very delicious over there.

AveChriste11

High Elder
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Every weekend in the summer I have to cook for 100 people.  The ladies of the church take the summer off, so, I take over the kitchen duties. I don't people to get out of the habit that they can come to the hall and get some food, and sit and chat.

So, every Saturday during the summer months, I make borsch (beet, tomatoe, onion, beef stock, veggie, cabbage....soup), varenyki (potatoe dumplings) smothered in carmelized onions and sour cream, plus a dessert - sometimes cherry or apple pie, sometimes poppy log, sometimes cheesecake....whatever mood I am in!

Come on over!
wow Liza, if I'm ever in Detroit - I'm gonna have to come visit you.. lol just based on your cooking alone..

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
LOL!

There's nothing to it!  

It's just hard until you figure out how much of what to put in.  Then it becomes simple repetition.

I'm so used to making a huge pot of borsch, that if I had to make just enough for my mom and myself, I think I would still make the huge pot!

Last week we had our church picnic.  

We had the kovbasa (sausage) and kapysta (sourkraut) and perijki (meat pastries).  The perijki were fun to make.  It's a yeast dough that you wrap around a mixture of ground (by hand so it's fine) beef and pork, mixed with spices and fried onions (all cooked and then wrapped in dough).  They are then left to rise into these glorious shiny orbs....then dunked in boiling oil and deep fried to a cripsy goodness!

Mmmmm....  tasty!

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
AveChriste11 said:
LizaSymonenko said:

Come on over!
wow Liza, if I'm ever in Detroit - I'm gonna have to come visit you.. lol just based on your cooking alone..
LOL!  Come on over!

I'll give you a tour of Motown!

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
LOL!

There's nothing to it!  

It's just hard until you figure out how much of what to put in.  Then it becomes simple repetition.

I'm so used to making a huge pot of borsch, that if I had to make just enough for my mom and myself, I think I would still make the huge pot!

Last week we had our church picnic.  

We had the kovbasa (sausage) and kapysta (sourkraut) and perijki (meat pastries).  The perijki were fun to make.  It's a yeast dough that you wrap around a mixture of ground (by hand so it's fine) beef and pork, mixed with spices and fried onions (all cooked and then wrapped in dough).  They are then left to rise into these glorious shiny orbs....then dunked in boiling oil and deep fried to a cripsy goodness!

Mmmmm....  tasty!
Liza you have now embarrassed what I have been deprived of my whole life.

I need to make a pilgrimage to Detroit ASAP.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
It's raining Saturday, but, Sunday promises to be sunny!

If you wait a week, we'll have our Jazz Festival downtown!

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
tuesdayschild said:
LizaSymonenko said:
What are the Top Ten sites you would take me to see?
Oh!  It all depends on your "taste".

We have a fine Art Museum - Detroit Insititute of Arts.  I always enjoy myself there.

We have a nice Science Center just across the street from the DIA, as well as a historic museum.

There is the Henry Ford museum which is also very interesting.  That is in Dearborn, just outside Detroit.  They have the car in which JFK was shot, there are whole trains inside the museum, there's an aluminum house for the 1950's, antique everything, example of a drive in theater, and the Wiener Mobile.  It's fun.

Next to it is the Greenfield Village - an outdoor museum.  Buildings from various periods in American History.  Edisons workshop, carriage rides, Tin Lizzies, etc.  There are working farms, churning butter, making cookies, etc.  Sample slave quarters, manors, steam ship.

Further north we have Frankenmuth Village.  German.  It's a great place to go walking.  They have a River Walk, with great shops and the river meanders through the middle of the walkway, coming out from behind rocks, and then disappearing under the walk, only to bubble forth further down the way.  They have a great mirror maze, as well.
There are a number of German restaurants - serving typical German food, and have a great chicken battle - which one makes the best fried chicken.  THere's also Oktoberfest, of course.

Bronners is only a few miles from there - it's a 364 day Christmas Store.  Closed on Christmas. 

There's also Canterbury Village - much like Bronners - Christmas all the time.  I take my godchildren there between Dec. 27 and New Year's.  Everyone is done with Christmas, but we are still waiting to celebrate on the 7th of January.  The crowds are gone and it's all ours!  We have a blast!

There are Rouge River plant tours - see how cars are made.

There's Comerica Park - home of the Tigers.

Motown museum - I've never been.  It's just a little shack.  :)

As it's late summer - the orchards are fun, too.  We have plenty of orchards going North from Detroit.

If you wish to travel further, we have Sleeping Bear dunes, great Lighthouses, parks, etc.  The Souix Locks - between the two Great Lakes.

The upper penninsula - Mackinaw Island.  It's a lovely island.  All Victorian homes, and shops.  No cars allowed.  You get there by boat and you either walk, bike horse ride or grab a carriage to get around.  Very pretty place.

There are many other cool places!

Interested?

tuesdayschild

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
tuesdayschild said:
LizaSymonenko said:
What are the Top Ten sites you would take me to see?
Oh!  It all depends on your "taste".

We have a fine Art Museum - Detroit Insititute of Arts.  I always enjoy myself there.

We have a nice Science Center just across the street from the DIA, as well as a historic museum.

There is the Henry Ford museum which is also very interesting.  That is in Dearborn, just outside Detroit.  They have the car in which JFK was shot, there are whole trains inside the museum, there's an aluminum house for the 1950's, antique everything, example of a drive in theater, and the Wiener Mobile.  It's fun.

Next to it is the Greenfield Village - an outdoor museum.  Buildings from various periods in American History.  Edisons workshop, carriage rides, Tin Lizzies, etc.  There are working farms, churning butter, making cookies, etc.  Sample slave quarters, manors, steam ship.

Further north we have Frankenmuth Village.  German.  It's a great place to go walking.  They have a River Walk, with great shops and the river meanders through the middle of the walkway, coming out from behind rocks, and then disappearing under the walk, only to bubble forth further down the way.  They have a great mirror maze, as well.
There are a number of German restaurants - serving typical German food, and have a great chicken battle - which one makes the best fried chicken.  THere's also Oktoberfest, of course.

Bronners is only a few miles from there - it's a 364 day Christmas Store.  Closed on Christmas. 

There's also Canterbury Village - much like Bronners - Christmas all the time.  I take my godchildren there between Dec. 27 and New Year's.  Everyone is done with Christmas, but we are still waiting to celebrate on the 7th of January.  The crowds are gone and it's all ours!  We have a blast!

There are Rouge River plant tours - see how cars are made.

There's Comerica Park - home of the Tigers.

Motown museum - I've never been.  It's just a little shack.  :)

As it's late summer - the orchards are fun, too.  We have plenty of orchards going North from Detroit.

If you wish to travel further, we have Sleeping Bear dunes, great Lighthouses, parks, etc.  The Souix Locks - between the two Great Lakes.

The upper penninsula - Mackinaw Island.  It's a lovely island.  All Victorian homes, and shops.  No cars allowed.  You get there by boat and you either walk, bike horse ride or grab a carriage to get around.  Very pretty place.

There are many other cool places!

Interested?
Yes. Spare bedroom or sleeper sofa?

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Well....there should be in a few weeks.

I'm planning on redoing an extra bedroom, and making it into an office.

I am hoping to get an sleeper sofa in there.

My biggest hang up is what color to paint the walls!  I am gravitating towards some shade of green.

tuesdayschild

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
My biggest hang up is what color to paint the walls!  I am gravitating towards some shade of green.
LizaSymonenko said:
I was thinking robin's egg blue.
If you can't tell the difference, you might be better of just painting them white.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I've always loved that color! But, was afraid it wouldn't look too "cold" on the walls.

I want a cozy room.

...But, I love that color.

Therefore, I was going to settle for light green.

Hmmmm.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The nutrition facts on a half and half carton in our fridge are written in Comic Sans. I may have to start drinking my coffee black as a matter of principle.

Dyhn

Reaction score
I painted the front room of my last home burnt orange. It went well with the 7x5ft art on the wall at the time. In this house I have everything painted white and cream in the lounge room.
Horses for courses. I have always thought duck egg blue was splendid!

~ Dyhn

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
Achronos said:
Azurestone said:
Achronos said:
Azurestone said:
Achronos said:
Just sent my girlfriend off to buy my 3rd SNES since my Dad is holding my other one hostage.
Now that's a keeper!
How did this post end up in a wrong thread? LOL
;D
You seem like a big game nerd no?
Used to be. Now I'm more nostalgic, than anything. I don't have the time, anymore. I probably play a few hours a week, tops.

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
Azurestone said:
Achronos said:
Azurestone said:
Achronos said:
Azurestone said:
Achronos said:
Just sent my girlfriend off to buy my 3rd SNES since my Dad is holding my other one hostage.
Now that's a keeper!
How did this post end up in a wrong thread? LOL
;D
You seem like a big game nerd no?
Used to be. Now I'm more nostalgic, than anything. I don't have the time, anymore. I probably play a few hours a week, tops.
Typically, none. That week comes about once a month, at best.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."
Sir Isaac Newton