Random Postings

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
"Earth is bad for life. And evidence of that is: look at the fossil record. 99% of all species that ever lived are now extinct. That is not the signature of a planet that is in love with life." - Neil deGrasse Nyson

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
When in deadly peril,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout!

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
LOL, after a crazy weekend and only checking in on my phone occasionally, I am intimidated by the sheer number of unread posts. Loser.  :laugh:

AveChriste11

High Elder
Reaction score
Hahahaha,

Remember that you are all children of the Ori, but you were raised by evil!  Who can resist the power of the Ori? 8)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
"Earth is bad for life. And evidence of that is: look at the fossil record. 99% of all species that ever lived are now extinct. That is not the signature of a planet that is in love with life." - Neil deGrasse Nyson
Thanks for this; I needed a good laugh.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Achronos said:
Almost done with a graveyard shift, can't wait to crash.
Just make sure you crash after you get home and not before.
Hahahaha.

The irony of that is someone at my work who gets off at the same time ended up in a car accident by sleeping behind the wheel. She didn't have any major damage but still it sounded pretty bad.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought when athiests co-opt Sagan's "Extraordinary claims requires extraordinary evidence" in reference to God or the Resurrection as an asurd argument.

AveChriste11

High Elder
Reaction score
College started back this week.  First day of school today, I hope this year goes really well.. and then I'll be able to transfer to the University of Memphis for next Fall..

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
deum-quaerens.blogspot.com
AveChriste11 said:
College started back this week.  First day of school today, I hope this year goes really well.. and then I'll be able to transfer to the University of Memphis for next Fall..
College... I envy you.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Azurestone said:
AveChriste11 said:
College... I envy you.
Word. Enjoy it!

AveChriste11

High Elder
Reaction score
Me too Liza,

I literally did nothing in High School -- I just showed up.  Didn't know what was going on 90% of the time, but now in college you can choose what time you want to go to class, you don't have to wake up at 5:30 AM every day to catch the bus. 

You can also actually choose what subjects you want to learn about, not merely the stuff they choose to indoctrinate you with.  8)

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
AveChriste11 said:
Me too Liza,

I literally did nothing in High School -- I just showed up.  Didn't know what was going on 90% of the time, but now in college you can choose what time you want to go to class, you don't have to wake up at 5:30 AM every day to catch the bus. 

You can also actually choose what subjects you want to learn about, not merely the stuff they choose to indoctrinate you with.  8)
Yeah, in College you can go to class at 11:00 instead of 8:00!  But then you find out there is no parking at 11:00 so next semester you set your classes for 8:00...

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
deum-quaerens.blogspot.com
vamrat said:
AveChriste11 said:
Me too Liza,

Yeah, in College you can go to class at 11:00 instead of 8:00!  But then you find out there is no parking at 11:00 so next semester you set your classes for 8:00...
Screw that. I walked.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I had WAY more 8:00 classes than I bargained for. I went to a small college, and when you got to the upper levels, there were only one or two class times available, and no seniors wanted the 8 AM slot.

A downside about college: 6 - 9 PM classes. Ugh. I hated walking back to my dorm after Chem lab in the dark.

But college was so fabulous. So much changed in my life while I was there.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
I always thought when athiests co-opt Sagan's "Extraordinary claims requires extraordinary evidence" in reference to God or the Resurrection as an asurd argument.
True, most religious folks (especially those who realise the flimsy nature of the evidence) would prefer: extraordinary claims require extraordinary faith  :police:

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I think that extraordinary claims require at least ordinary levels of evidence...  if even that can't be produced, there's a definite problem, I think.
;)

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Azurestone said:
vamrat said:
AveChriste11 said:
Me too Liza,

Screw that. I walked.
5 miles was a bit too far for me in the morning.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
vamrat said:
Azurestone said:
vamrat said:
AveChriste11 said:
Me too Liza,

Screw that. I walked.
5 miles was a bit too far for me in the morning.
I lived at home, and communted to the university in downtown.  Therefore, I had to use public transportation (bus)....which meant I often had to catch it before 6 to get to my class on time. 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ebor said:
I think that extraordinary claims require at least ordinary levels of evidence...  if even that can't be produced, there's a definite problem, I think.
;)

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." [Hebrews 11:1]

Selam

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Ebor said:
;)

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." [Hebrews 11:1]

Selam
How does that address Ebor's point?

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
AveChriste11 said:
Me too Liza,

Are you kidding? Secular Universities are nothing but indoctrination camps.

AveChriste11

High Elder
Reaction score
Papist said:
AveChriste11 said:
Me too Liza,

I know what you mean Papist, but then again that also entirely depends on the teacher and the class.  Some of the social sciences or humanities, for instance Philosophy.. encourage you to think critically.  There are no correct answers in some of these classes,  and you're not just spitting back to the teacher a bunch of random information...

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
I think this will be post 1000.  I can think of no better place to put it. 

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Is calligraphy in the Middle East purely an islamic phenomenon or do the Christians practice it ?

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
AveChriste11 said:
Papist said:
AveChriste11 said:
Me too Liza,

I know what you mean Papist, but then again that also entirely depends on the teacher and the class.  Some of the social sciences or humanities, for instance Philosophy.. encourage you to think critically.  There are no correct answers in some of these classes,  and you're not just spitting back to the teacher a bunch of random information...
I suppose. I went to the University of New Mexico, which is bascily the Burkely of the southwest. It was not fun.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I was in the supermarket glancing over the magazine stand and I saw Biblical Archaeology Review. Seriously?  :D  How many people shopping at a grocery store are also picking up that kind of magazine?  Anyway, I bought a copy, hopefully it's good. The front says things like "Secrets from the Dead Sea Scroll Caves" and "New Discoveries of Ancient Churches"...  8)  ;D

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I'm practically in tears right now. Hate this durn assignment. And the client wants it tomorrow morning. $%&#($*#@#.  :'(

Nice avatar, I mean icon, I mean avatar, Achronos.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
My friend was just telling me about a fabulous breakfast dish she made involving bacon, sausage, cheese, eggs, bread.  :mad: It's FRIDAY and that is torturing me.

Plus I have been up virtually all night and just now stopped working. Thank God for Pepsi and black tea.

I think I'll go make Ramen now.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
My friend was just telling me about a fabulous breakfast dish she made involving bacon, sausage, cheese, eggs, bread.  :mad: It's FRIDAY and that is torturing me.

Plus I have been up virtually all night and just now stopped working. Thank God for Pepsi and black tea.

I think I'll go make Ramen now.
How quick can you get to New Zealand? It's Saturday there  ;D

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Asteriktos said:
I was in the supermarket glancing over the magazine stand and I saw Biblical Archaeology Review. Seriously?  :D  How many people shopping at a grocery store are also picking up that kind of magazine?  Anyway, I bought a copy, hopefully it's good. The front says things like "Secrets from the Dead Sea Scroll Caves" and "New Discoveries of Ancient Churches"...  8)  ;D
So...was it any good?