Random Postings

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Asteriktos said:
I was in the supermarket glancing over the magazine stand and I saw Biblical Archaeology Review. Seriously?  :D  How many people shopping at a grocery store are also picking up that kind of magazine?  Anyway, I bought a copy, hopefully it's good. The front says things like "Secrets from the Dead Sea Scroll Caves" and "New Discoveries of Ancient Churches"...  8)  ;D
So...was it any good?
Haven't read it yet, will probably get to it this weekend some time. I did glance through it and my initial impression was that the advertisements had a fairy low-church Protestant vibe to them, but I may be mistaken (and/or that may not mean anything)...

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I was in the supermarket glancing over the magazine stand and I saw Biblical Archaeology Review. Seriously?  :D  How many people shopping at a grocery store are also picking up that kind of magazine?  Anyway, I bought a copy, hopefully it's good. The front says things like "Secrets from the Dead Sea Scroll Caves" and "New Discoveries of Ancient Churches"...  8)  ;D
We had a subscription to that for a while.  The archeology articles were pretty good, as I recall.  Some of the ads were peculiar and there was one that caused a ker-fuffle in the letters section. As I recall, it was for a repro of the statue of Nefertiti's head.  Someone wrote in that she was a "beautiful black queen" iirc and it went from there.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos, your daughter is SO CUTE. AAGH your avatar is making me think about babies and toddlers again. SO CUTE.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Ebor said:
Asteriktos said:
We had a subscription to that for a while.  The archeology articles were pretty good, as I recall.  Some of the ads were peculiar and there was one that caused a ker-fuffle in the letters section. As I recall, it was for a repro of the statue of Nefertiti's head.  Someone wrote in that she was a "beautiful black queen" iirc and it went from there.
Huh. :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Asteriktos, your daughter is SO CUTE. AAGH your avatar is making me think about babies and toddlers again. SO CUTE.
She was 2 years and 3 months old in that pic (I only know because I include the dates I took the pics in the names of the files). I was going through old pics a few days ago and came upon a lot of potential future avatars of her and her sister doing silly things. :)

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Netflix is too good. Why would anyone leave the house if they have it?  ???  :)

This weekend was both good and a headache (family visited, which is usually either good/bad or bad/bad. Glad it was the former). They insisted on buying us more furniture, and after saying "No thanks" 3921 times, we caved and spent a lot of the weekend assembling furniture.

My mother and sister came with Mr. Ismi and I to DL this Sunday.  :eek: I think my sister (an atheist) was going to off herself during the memorial service. She turned to me and said, "THERE'S MORE?!" My mother liked it and crossed herself every time everyone else did, but I remembered quickly to give her the book with the DL in English so that she could see the Creed and realize that it was different. I didn't want an "AND THE SON" moment happening. Haha.

They wanted to get the antidoron but were too scared so they just left the church really quickly, prompting the people around us to say, "Aren't they coming to coffee hour?!"

I didn't know if it was okay for me to ask Father for a few pieces for them. Probably was but I didn't.

Kind of looking forward to going back to a normal work week, but this week isn't going to be exactly normal either...

How was everyone's weekend?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
High of 97F -> 62F in 48 hours.

That is how you answer such questions in the MW.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
IsmiLiora, sounds like you had... an interesting weekend! Love the "There's more?" thing, lol. It's always cool to observe non-Orthodox family members in Orthodox contexts...

My weekend... I forced my priest, on his birthday, to drive out to pick me up at 7am and take me to church. I got no homework done. I got no reading done. And I ate too much junk stuff. It was great!  ;D

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
IsmiLiora, sounds like you had... an interesting weekend! Love the "There's more?" thing, lol. It's always cool to observe non-Orthodox family members in Orthodox contexts...
I love how "let us complete our prayer to the Lord" is nowhere near the end of the liturgy -- messes with the minds of visitors every time.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Biro -- it just started raining here, too! As long as it's not a hurricane, it's nice to just sit on the couch with a good book sometimes. Very cozy.

Orthonorm -- your answer was very anti-climactic, but I like the 62F, so if we could have that here in the South, I would greatly appreciate it.

Asteriktos -- Sounds like every weekend I had in college! (And yes, my pastor had to drive me to church a few times too, so I'm talking about all of it.) I still got a degree and did quite well, so as long as you bounce back, some procrastination can be fun. Hope you are working right now, though! ;) Writing papers at 5 AM on Monday was the worst part of it.

Akimori Makoto - YES, she heard that part because Father said that in English, and she thought it was over. I told her that his homilies were only 2 hours long and she almost passed out. She believed me for a second. ;D

AveChriste11

High Elder
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Biro -- it just started raining here, too! As long as it's not a hurricane, it's nice to just sit on the couch with a good book sometimes. Very cozy.

Orthonorm -- your answer was very anti-climactic, but I like the 62F, so if we could have that here in the South, I would greatly appreciate it.

Asteriktos -- Sounds like every weekend I had in college! (And yes, my pastor had to drive me to church a few times too, so I'm talking about all of it.) I still got a degree and did quite well, so as long as you bounce back, some procrastination can be fun. Hope you are working right now, though! ;) Writing papers at 5 AM on Monday was the worst part of it.

Akimori Makoto - YES, she heard that part because Father said that in English, and she thought it was over. I told her that his homilies were only 2 hours long and she almost passed out. She believed me for a second. ;D
What part of the South are you in? Here in Memphis we had a high of 74, and it's currently 64 right now as I'm typing this post.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Eh, I'm kind of straddling the border between north and south. Definitely a few hours south of the Mason Dixon, but it's culturally a mix because a lot of Northern transplants live here.

Yes, I am being deliberately vague. :)

It was in the mid 80s, but the humidity is the WORST! I have been sweating profusely this entire weekend. Putting a desk together + sweating + no central air = lovely Ismi. But after the rain, the weather is now back to the mid 70s. Whew.

How is the humidity over there?

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Three pennies in the well won't cause the fish to swim upstream.

Selam
But a stick of dynamite might!

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Eh, I'm kind of straddling the border between north and south. Definitely a few hours south of the Mason Dixon, but it's culturally a mix because a lot of Northern transplants live here.

Yes, I am being deliberately vague. :)

It was in the mid 80s, but the humidity is the WORST! I have been sweating profusely this entire weekend. Putting a desk together + sweating + no central air = lovely Ismi. But after the rain, the weather is now back to the mid 70s. Whew.

How is the humidity over there?
Lots of Northern transplants, eh.  So you're in Atlanta?  Wait...straddling the Mason-Dixon line...

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
If you're going to guess, please guess in PM, my dear. :-*

AveChriste11

High Elder
Reaction score
Humidity is not bad at all down here.  It rained a lot yesterday so that cooled everything off, and today was very windy.  It's actually beginning to feel like Fall (or Autumn) and we're loving it!  8)

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
If you're going to guess, please guess in PM, my dear. :-*
I was making joke about Atlanta, not really guessing.  I was there in 1992ish and remember all the New York license plates.  I have a pretty good guess where you area at.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Yay, it's rainy and cold! Much better.

Just hope it's not going to rain tomorrow when I help my friend move (everyone is moving nowadays). I think I'm too excited about going to Ikea...

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I have a headache.

Here, on this esteemed forum, I make a fool of myself defending Ukraine and quibbling over the use of "the" before it.  I am a Ukrainian patriot.

On Facebook, I speak up against the KP, and am sticking up for world Orthodoxy versus strictly Ukrainian.  I am a Ukrainian traitor.

I don't know what I am, other than in tears.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
LizaSymonenko said:
I have a headache.

Here, on this esteemed forum, I make a fool of myself defending Ukraine and quibbling over the use of "the" before it.  I am a Ukrainian patriot.

On Facebook, I speak up against the KP, and am sticking up for world Orthodoxy versus strictly Ukrainian.  I am a Ukrainian traitor.

You are a wonderful servant of Christ and His Church, and a lover of your heritage. So, don't worry about the negativity that others cast upon you. Your light shines brightly in this world!

Selam

Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
I have a headache.

Here, on this esteemed forum, I make a fool of myself defending Ukraine and quibbling over the use of "the" before it.  I am a Ukrainian patriot.

On Facebook, I speak up against the KP, and am sticking up for world Orthodoxy versus strictly Ukrainian.  I am a Ukrainian traitor.

Don't worry, Liza, this self-loathing Greek supremacist understands.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I like snow. I was glad when my father used to tell me to go outside and shovel at 4:00 in the morning.  ;D

Reaction score
biro said:
I like snow. I was glad when my father used to tell me to go outside and shovel at 4:00 in the morning.  ;D
It doesn't snow here. Just sun, sun, sun and a corresponding amount of surfers. Truly hell on earth.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
IsmiLiora said:
Wow, you like rainy and cold, too? I thought I was the only one.

Do you want to borrow my black nailpolish and My Chemical Romance collection?
LOL. I actually normally like hot weather, but it's been so muggy here for the past three months that I can't stand it anymore!

Don't like snow, though. I will come visit you and bask in the sun and frolic with the surfers in a few months.  Sound good?

Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
akimori makoto said:
IsmiLiora said:
Wow, you like rainy and cold, too? I thought I was the only one.

Do you want to borrow my black nailpolish and My Chemical Romance collection?
LOL. I actually normally like hot weather, but it's been so muggy here for the past three months that I can't stand it anymore!

Don't like snow, though. I will come visit you and bask in the sun and frolic with the surfers in a few months.  Sound good?
It is already starting to warm up here.

If by "frolic with the surfers", you mean "assassinate the surfers", then yes, by all means.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
If we're talking about shoveling sidewalks here, that usually runs about $5. ;)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Azurestone said:
biro said:
genesisone said:
biro said:
Can I adopt you?
Thanks, but I think my Mom would say no.   ;)
Now don't get hasty. He didn't say his price, yet. :D
I went for a half a carton of generic menthols. Mom pulled the wool over their eyes.