• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
Been editing and revising the lecture Powerpoints for the professor I assist. Plan on incorporating videos and speech excerpts to help get students acquainted with primary sources and how the movers and shakers of American history saw things. Here's what I've got so far on a Youtube channel I set up especially for this task with some speech excerpts (and hopefully more soon!): http://www.youtube.com/user/jw00534/videos

I'll be adding more as I progress along in my editing.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Just made plans with a friend to visit the Australian outback to stargaze after college.

Akimori, get a room ready.  ;)

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Complain all you want. It’s like railing against the pounding surf. She only grows stronger and more powerful. Her ear-shattering tones louder and louder. We KNOW she can’t cook. She shrewdly tells us so. So...what is she selling us? Really? She’s selling us satisfaction, the smug reassurance that mediocrity is quite enough." - Anthony Bourdain on Rachel Ray

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would not so dishonour God as to lend my voice to perpetuate all the mad and foolish things which men have dared to say of Him. I believe that we may find in the Bible the highest and purest religion ..... most of all in the history of Him in whose name we all are called. His religion — not the Christian religion, but the religion of Christ — the poor man's gospel; the message of forgiveness, of reconciliation, of love; and, oh, how gladly would I spend my life, in season and out of season, in preaching this! But I must have no hell terrors, none of these fear doctrines; they were not in the early creeds, God knows whether they were ever in the early gospels, or ever passed His lips. He went down to hell, but it was to break the chains, not to bind them. ~ James Anthony Froude

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
"Complain all you want. It’s like railing against the pounding surf. She only grows stronger and more powerful. Her ear-shattering tones louder and louder. We KNOW she can’t cook. She shrewdly tells us so. So...what is she selling us? Really? She’s selling us satisfaction, the smug reassurance that mediocrity is quite enough." - Anthony Bourdain on Rachel Ray
I'm quite surprised that bourdain would condescend to do something as average-man-like as watch TV, let alone watch Rachel Ray  :p

On a different note, I miss poppy. A curse on whoever ran her off!!!

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:
I'm quite surprised that bourdain would condescend to do something as average-man-like as watch TV, let alone watch Rachel Ray  :p
He also hates Bobby Flay. And for that I love him even more.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
Achronos said:
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:
Ugh Bobby Flay irritates me. All he does is barbecue everything and he thinks he is a genius. If that was the case, my putting KC masterpiece on my krispy kreme would make me Einstein.

PP

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
primuspilus said:
Achronos said:
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:
Ugh Bobby Flay irritates me. All he does is barbecue everything and he thinks he is a genius. If that was the case, my putting KC masterpiece on my krispy kreme would make me Einstein.

PP
Why would you put that thought in my head?  Barbequed donuts sound about as bad as putting ketchup on eggs.

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
primuspilus said:
Achronos said:
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:

PP
Why would you put that thought in my head?  Barbequed donuts sound about as bad as putting ketchup on eggs.
Ketchup on eggs isn't THAT bad. Just probably not preferable... unless you're eating powdered eggs or some rationed/MRE equivalent.

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:

She's somewhere in France without internet connectivity!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:

She's somewhere in France without internet connectivity!
:( I would be her knight in shining armor if only I knew where she was!

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
For all the U.K. folks, and everybody else, happy St. Cuthbert's Day!  :angel:

http://www.goarch.org/chapel/saints_view?contentid=2366&type=saints

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I just want to share with you all my utter bewilderment due to Netodox talk about "Pascha". In Finnish language "paska" means "shit" so keeping straight face while listening to, say, English-language podcasts about Great Lent and upcoming Easter is rather hard task.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Alpo said:
I just want to share with you all my utter bewilderment due to Netodox talk about "Pascha". In Finnish language "paska" means "shit" so keeping straight face while listening to, say, English-language podcasts about Great Lent and upcoming Easter is rather hard task.
The word isn't a Netodox term...

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Awesome.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Alpo said:
He is referring likely to a thread you missed, where many here were bemoaning the use of "Easter" and under which conditions one should use it, if ever.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Asteriktos said:
Alpo said:
He is referring likely to a thread you missed, where many here were bemoaning the use of "Easter" and under which conditions one should use it, if ever.
Ahh... thanks for clueing me in :)

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Alpo said:
You're probably correct but then again my only real-life exposure to Orthodoxy is in Finland so everything outside of that qualifies to "Netodoxy". :p Also, I have sort of allergy to these devout loanwords from Eastern European Orthodox languages.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Asteriktos said:
Alpo said:
You're probably correct but then again my only real-life exposure to Orthodoxy is in Finland so everything outside of that qualifies to "Netodoxy". :p
So what's Finnish for Easter? Yes, I could google, but I am tired of the internet destroying personal exchange.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Alpo said:
Asteriktos said:
Alpo said:
You're probably correct but then again my only real-life exposure to Orthodoxy is in Finland so everything outside of that qualifies to "Netodoxy". :p
So what's Finnish for Easter? Yes, I could google, but I am tired of the internet destroying personal exchange.
Pääsiäinen.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
orthonorm said:
Alpo said:
Asteriktos said:
Alpo said:
Pääsiäinen.
I knew I would get at least a chuckle.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Alpo said:
orthonorm said:
Pääsiäinen.
Think that word repeated numerous and numerous times during paschal services.

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
You know, I hear the word "LARP" used here more often than I do on the various video game/anime forums I visit or when I'm with my friends who are interested in the same.

Just an odd observation that popped into my head.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
ironchapman said:
You know, I hear the word "LARP" used here more often than I do on the various video game/anime forums I visit or when I'm with my friends who are interested in the same.

You are welcome.

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
ironchapman said:

You are welcome.
Thank you, orthonorm. :p

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
orthonorm said:
Alpo said:
orthonorm said:
Pääsiäinen.
Think that word repeated numerous and numerous times during paschal services.
I only chuckle, cause I can't understand a word of it, although it looks like I should be able to.

No offense intended.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
ironchapman said:
orthonorm said:
ironchapman said:

You are welcome.
It's one of my many gifts to the forum. When you know you are LARPing you don't have to make it explicit as much. When people don't realize it, that's when it becomes crucial to point it out.

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
ironchapman said:
orthonorm said:
ironchapman said:

You are welcome.
It's one of my many gifts to the forum. When you know you are LARPing you don't have to make it explicit as much. When people don't realize it, that's when it becomes crucial to point it out.
This is a good point.