Random Postings

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
1,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
One more week to break out the Guinness....I mean....Celebrate the Feast of Feasts!....wif Guinness....
 

rwprof

Elder
Joined
Mar 7, 2009
Messages
294
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
64
Location
Central Pennsylvania
serb1389 said:
One more week and I can be honest about how I feel about soy anything. 
Some things were not meant for human consumption. Soy -- excepting only soy sauce -- is one. Not even during Great Lent.


 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,830
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Ian Lazarus said:
One more week to break out the Guinness....I mean....Celebrate the Feast of Feasts!....wif Guinness....
And a large lamb, dancing about a spit, cooking over coals.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,830
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
serb1389 said:
One more week and I can be honest about how I feel about soy anything.  
Just don't be so honest that we have to censor you.
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
SolEX01 said:
Nothing beats the Order of the Elephant, a honor granted to Danish nobility.
Talk about elephants:  Someone came back from the recent Green Expo in my home city with a business card made up of about 70% elephant dung.  Now how's that for green. :p
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,830
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
PeterTheAleut said:
SolEX01 said:
Nothing beats the Order of the Elephant, a honor granted to Danish nobility.
Talk about elephants:  Someone came back from the recent Green Expo in my home city with a business card made up of about 70% elephant dung.  Now how's that for green. :p
I'm interested in their business... But not that interested!
 

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
1,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
And a large lamb, dancing about a spit, cooking over coals.
It'll be Southern Pan Fried Chicken for me, with Buttery Mashed Potatoes, Brown Beef Gravy, and Sweet Potatoe Cheese Cake.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,830
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Ian Lazarus said:
And a large lamb, dancing about a spit, cooking over coals.
It'll be Southern Pan Fried Chicken for me, with Buttery Mashed Potatoes, Brown Beef Gravy, and Sweet Potatoe Cheese Cake.
Mmmmm.  Doesn't make me want to trade, but still sounds delicious.
 

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
16,379
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
54
Location
Australia
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
A Greek Nursery Rhyme from my childhood:

Vaia! Vaia! Ton Vaion,
Tromai psari kai kolyon!
Kai tin ali Kyriaki,
Tromai to pahi arni!


Palms! Palms! On (the Sunday) of Palms,
We eat fish and salted fish!
And the following Sunday,
We eat the fatted lamb!


Mmmmmmm......fatted lamb......
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
29
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
Here goes mine:
Werba b’je, ne zab’je. / ne ja b'ju, verba b'je
Ne wsikajsia, ne wsirajsia,
Bud’ bihuszczy jak woda, / Rosti chutko jak Werba,
Bud’ zdorowy jak werba. / Bud' bohaty jak Zemla
Za tyżdeń Welikdeń!

Willow* is whipping, but it won't kill you / That's not me who's whipping - the willow is
Do not self-pee, do not self-poo
Be as fast as running water / Grow as fast as willow is
Be as healthy as willow is / Be as rich as soil is
In one week - Easter!
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,830
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
ozgeorge said:
A Greek Nursery Rhyme from my childhood:

Vaia! Vaia! Ton Vaion,
Tromai psari kai kolyon!
Kai tin ali Kyriaki,
Tromai to pahi arni!


Palms! Palms! On (the Sunday) of Palms,
We eat fish and salted fish!
And the following Sunday,
We eat the fatted lamb!


Mmmmmmm......fatted lamb......
How adorable (the poem); how delicious (the subject). Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
 

Ebor

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
6,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
64
Location
Maryland
rwprof said:
serb1389 said:
One more week and I can be honest about how I feel about soy anything. 
Some things were not meant for human consumption. Soy -- excepting only soy sauce -- is one. Not even during Great Lent.
I'd disagree with you there. Fresh edamame i.e. green soy beans with corn make a very nice variation on succotash, or as we call it in our house "soccotashu"

and Miso paste is an excellent ingredient for cooking.  ;)
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
The cool thing about celebrating Easter a week late this year:  getting all the goods for my Pascha basket at clearance prices.
 

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
1,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Just stalked up.  Got two solid one-pound choclate rabbits for 1.75.  Steal!  And a whole box of Reeces PB Eggs for $5.00.  It all goes in the fride till Saturday night.


 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
29
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
I love Paschal Liturgies because it's the only one opportunity to shout in a Church as loud as you can and you don't offend anyone :)
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
Can anyone here ever get any sleep between the Holy Saturday Liturgy and the midnight Pascha services?  I'm either too amped up in anticipation of the grand event or I'm already caught up on my sleep and can only sneak in a short nap. :p
 

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
3,535
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
32
Location
Alberta, Canada
PeterTheAleut said:
Can anyone here ever get any sleep between the Holy Saturday Liturgy and the midnight Pascha services?  I'm either too amped up in anticipation of the grand event or I'm already caught up on my sleep and can only sneak in a short nap. :p
Already caught up on sleep?? I wish....I'm like a few months behind....
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
Ukiemeister said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Can anyone here ever get any sleep between the Holy Saturday Liturgy and the midnight Pascha services?  I'm either too amped up in anticipation of the grand event or I'm already caught up on my sleep and can only sneak in a short nap. :p
Already caught up on sleep?? I wish....I'm like a few months behind....
Well, if I can't get any sleep before the midnight services, I certainly have no problem getting to sleep after I get home from the banquet at 5:00 in the morning! ;D
 
Top