Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
SolEX01 said:
serb1389 said:
Yah dude...talk about a commitment.  Have any of you ever seen people do Icons as tattoo's?
I'm sure they've been done.  I would become far more nauseous if I saw one.   :eek:  :eek:
there was a guy here in boston in the basketball league that had an icon of Jesus all the way from the top of his shoulder to his elbow.  it was in full color and completely byzantine.  It actually looked really cool...until that hand hit another guy in the sweet spot...not good times. 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
findingfaith said:
Alway's ride your bike against the flow of traffic
Can I be honest?  I never liked this one, I thought it was actually MORE dangerous than riding with the flow of traffic.  PLUS, arn't bikes supposed to follow the rules of the road, just like any other vehicle?

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Nebelpfade said:
Decided to install a new windows manager for my computer today.  I haven't bothered to install a programme that takes screenshots, but here is an example of more or less what it looks like:

Wow...looks pretty complicated...what kind of operation is that running?  Sorry i'm not really good with all the techy lingo, but I was gona ask if it was running "java" or something like that...lol.  i'm probably totally off huh...

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Nebelpfade said:
Decided to install a new windows manager for my computer today.  I haven't bothered to install a programme that takes screenshots, but here is an example of more or less what it looks like:
Is that Enlightenment?  I really liked that Window Manager for I used it to run 24 different X-Windows in 4 different desktops during a demonstration in 1999.

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
SolEX01 said:
Nebelpfade said:
Is that Enlightenment?  I really liked that Window Manager for I used it to run 24 different X-Windows in 4 different desktops during a demonstration in 1999.
care to explain that to the lowly proletariat?

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
serb1389 said:
Wow...looks pretty complicated...what kind of operation is that running?  Sorry i'm not really good with all the techy lingo, but I was gona ask if it was running "java" or something like that...lol.  i'm probably totally off huh...
The terminal on the left is running a text-based IRC client.  The top right terminal is running 'htop', think of it as Windows Task Manager but text based.  And the bottom right terminal, is just editing the .bashrc file (used to customise your interactive shells: create command alias, make text coloured, etc) in a text editor known as vim.  :)

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.iheu.org
SolEX01 said:
It is actually a fork from dwm called Awesome (or AwesomeWM or Awesome3).  I've always been a huge openbox fan, but wanted to try something different.  So far so good; ever since I started programming I've been a fan of tiling Window Managers, but never really explored them outside of Ion.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Nebelpfade said:
It is actually a fork from dwm called Awesome (or AwesomeWM or Awesome3).  I've always been a huge openbox fan, but wanted to try something different.  So far so good; ever since I started programming I've been a fan of tiling Window Managers, but never really explored them outside of Ion.
That screen shot reminded me of Enlightenment.  I used it mainly on Solaris to manage all these multiple X-Windows that popped up during software demonstrations in 1999.  Up to 2,048 virtual desktops are supported under Enlightenment which remains in active development.

Only 4 posts remain to 6,000.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Oh, I've never seen seamless X-Windows tiling ... if you open a new terminal, does it seamlessly tie in with other windows.

Do you get a menu bar when the mouse is over any of these terminals?

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
findingfaith said:
No! Bicycles are vehicles, and all vehicles are piloted in the same direction. No one wants a head-on collision with a bicycle.

Some rules for bicycle safety (including why never to ride a bicycle on the left side of the street): http://www.bicyclesafe.com/

findingfaith

Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
findingfaith said:
No! Bicycles are vehicles, and all vehicles are piloted in the same direction. No one wants a head-on collision with a bicycle.

Some rules for bicycle safety (including why never to ride a bicycle on the left side of the street): http://www.bicyclesafe.com/
It's been a loooong time since i rode a bike on the street  ;D That is actually what we were taught as kids  :eek: A little behind the times on that front i guess :-[ 
How about, always swim with a buddy? or... Wait 30 min after eating before swimming? 

2 posts to 6000

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.iheu.org
SolEX01 said:
Oh, I've never seen seamless X-Windows tiling ... if you open a new terminal, does it seamlessly tie in with other windows.

Do you get a menu bar when the mouse is over any of these terminals?
Completely depends on how you choose to set it up.

There are four layouts you can choose from, and can assign a different one to each tag (similar to a virtual desktop).
Tiled
With tiled layout, windows are managed in a master and a stacking area. The master area contains the windows which currently need most attention, whereas the stacking area contains all other windows. The master area can be splited in several rows and column, as you want.

Max
Each window is resized to take full screen space.

Magnifier
All windows are stacked behind the focused window. This one is centered in your screen and takes most of the available space.

Floating
In floating layout, windows can be resized and moved freely, just like a usual window manager. Dialog windows are always managed floating, regardless of the layout selected.
Currently I run most of my tags in tiled mode, with half my screen dedicated to my focus and my other windows stacked on the other side.  So when I open a new programme or terminal, it is titled into the stack.  But even in that view, you can manipulate it and stack however you please.  I also tend to have one tag in float mode too, that I just use to quickly open a programme that I will need for a short period of time.

You can set up how you want title bars to work, either displayed at the top, bottom, left or right, and if you want them always there or only when the terminal is in use.