• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Ethics is for those who have no morality, and morals are for those who have no need of ethics.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cognomen said:
Aindriú said:
Cognomen said:
JamesRottnek said:
and since man is a little lower than the Angels...
Is this true? In what sense lower?

Never miss the opportunity to ruin a random posting.
Hebrews 2:7
Cheers

Muslims beat us then, as they're above the angels.
It's actually a good question and one that I find that doesn't get treated well and makes little sense within the scope of what I think most would agree is traditional Christian thought.

And I was just reading today about Angels within Islam and there seems to be some tension about where humans stand in relation to them.

Once Islamic theology starts incorporating neo-Platonic thought and becoming systematic, in some sense Angels are "above" humans or a better word, more "real".

Odd that you bring this up as I was just reading about it today.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Since we are on the topic, can someone cite the 9 levels of angelic heirachy from the Bible?
The answer to that question, plus everything else you ever wanted to know about angels (excepting questions that involve pins)...

"And in fact, when we examine the books of Holy Scripture, we find the names of the nine ranks which have been listed; more than nine are not mentioned. We read the name of the cherubim in the 3rd chapter of Genesis, in Psalms 80 and 99, in ch. 10 of Ezekiel; of the seraphim in Isaiah ch. 6; of powers in the Epistle to the Ephesians ch. 1, and to the Romans ch. 8; of thrones, authorities, principalities, and dominions in the Epistle to the Colossians ch. 1, to the Ephesians ch. 1 and 3; of archangels in the First Epistle to the Thessalonians ch. 4 and the Epistle of Jude v. 9; of angels in the First Epistle of Peter ch. 3, and the Epistle of St. Paul to the Romans ch. 8, and in; various other places. On this evidence of Holy Scripture the number of angelic ranks recognized in the teaching of the Orthodox Church is normally limited to nine."

-- Source

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I believe the color you chose cannot be used, as only Jesus write in red...  :police:

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I believe the color you chose cannot be used, as only Jesus write in red...  :police:
Correct. Peter is banned for 40 days for usurping authority.

This is the colour he was looking for.

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
Asteriktos said:
I believe the color you chose cannot be used, as only Jesus write in red...  :police:

Wrong thread. Besides, my eyes are bleeding from that color.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Aindriú said:
vamrat said:
Asteriktos said:

Yeah, I've tried changing it several times but I just suck too bad.  (Incidentally, there is exactly 0.0 chance of me ever impersonating a Mod.)

(As a further side note, if a Mod were to go in there and change it to the proper Mod colour, I would be tickled pink!  ;))

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
Aindriú said:
vamrat said:
Asteriktos said:

Yeah, I've tried changing it several times but I just suck too bad.  (Incidentally, there is exactly 0.0 chance of me ever impersonating a Mod.)

(As a further side note, if a Mod were to go in there and change it to the proper Mod colour, I would be tickled pink!  ;))
You're just being silly now.

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
vamrat said:
Aindriú said:
vamrat said:
Asteriktos said:

(As a further side note, if a Mod were to go in there and change it to the proper Mod colour, I would be tickled pink!   ;))
You're just being silly now.
Says the guy with a cat in a hat picture.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Am I Hyperdox Herman for thinking that much of Vladimir Soloviev's theology is borderline heresy? I started reading a bit of his work and he seemed like an extremely theological liberal who disregarded Holy Tradition for mysticism and took a western view of the Trinity. He seems good whenever he discusses philosophical topics in relation to Orthodoxy, but as a general theologian he stinks; Bukharev is by far the superior theologian, although not much of a philosopher.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
xariskai said:
Burning question: has anyone read this entire thread?
Dude, it seriously starts out with the bottles of beer on the wall song.  They start at 60 and between Fr. George, GiC, and Ozgeorge they finish it.  Wow.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Am I Hyperdox Herman for thinking that much of Vladimir Soloviev's theology is borderline heresy?
He apparently had a significant influence on Nikolai Berdyaev, so he can't be all that bad :)

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I don't know. Soloviev's theological views are very liberal for my taste. He even criticized the Orthodox Church for turning the Filioque into such a big deal when we were perfectly aware of it for years and did nothing about it! Rome is the one that actually got upset at us for now using it and tried to force it on us! We never adopted it but we tolerated Rome's use of it. Why turn us into the bad guys? That guys a whackjob theologian/historian. But such an amazing philosopher....

dcommini

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
lifeofanorthodoxsoldier.blogspot.com
Since this is the random postings thread I figured I would show you guys what I did with my free time yesterday...

I made an AFR app for my desktop (which is really an HTML file with an icon). It loads directly to AFR music.
Secondly, I made an AFR launcher for my dock, which was harder and easier than it should have been. I first tried using the same HTML file, but it did not want to work - I'm guessing because it didn't know how to open the file. Then I tried using java code to launch the browser and go to the website - it only worked via the terminal and command prompt. So then I tried python code, which worked great and I knew the applets for my dock were written in python - but it wouldn't let me install the new code as an applet, so I just tried my luck in making it a launcher instead and it worked... I should have started with python first...

Attachments

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I like the juxtaposition of Ancient Faith Radio and Menologion 3.0 with Torrenting.com_Mardi.Gras.Spring.Break.DVD...

Hmm... I wonder what that is...  ;D

But otherwise, good job!  8)

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I like the juxtaposition of Ancient Faith Radio and Menologion 3.0 with Torrenting.com_Mardi.Gras.Spring.Break.DVD...

Hmm... I wonder what that is...  ;D
BUSTED

dcommini

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
lifeofanorthodoxsoldier.blogspot.com
Asteriktos said:

Hmm... I wonder what that is...  ;D

But otherwise, good job!  8)
It's actually a very stupid movie that I deleted (you'll watch just about anything off your buddies hard-drive when you run out of your own movies), but I put other things in that folder and never changed the name (like where I put different things that I download or save to my desktop and I can't think of a good folder to put them in... so off they go to Torrenting.com_Mardi.Gras.Spring.Break.DVD).

Edit:: I just took a look to see what I didn't need any more... that's where I stuck Formula 51... I've been looking for that movie for months!

Edit2:: I think I'm going to start working on one for Google Voice and Google Talk...

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Life was not a valuable gift, but death was. Life was a fever-dream made up of joys embittered by sorrows, pleasure poisoned by pain; a dream that was a nightmare-confusion of spasmodic and fleeting delights, ecstasies, exultations, happinesses, interspersed with long-drawn miseries, griefs, perils, horrors, disappointments, defeats,humiliations, and despairs--the heaviest curse devisable by divine ingenuity; but death was sweet, death was gentle, death was kind; death healed the bruised spirit and the broken heart, and gave them rest and forgetfulness; death was man's best friend; when man could endure life no longer, death came and set him free.
- Mark Twain Letters from the Earth

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Does the AFR iPhone app work for you guys anymore? It has not worked for me for a few months.
How can you listen to that Protestant trash?

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just want to thank the adminstrative and moderation staff for not having this place in any way shape or form like christianforums.com

I just went back for the first time in years and was pretty close to vomitting.

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Tried to watch a Nat Geo show on the Gospel of Judas... I couldn't stomach it.

Bart Ehrman was tag teaming other tard-herders about some conspiracy for power by the part of the Fathers and Bishops to squish Gnotsticsm. Complete with some hippie talking about Gnostic superior spirituality, and Bart Ehrman mocking Irenaeus.

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
Aindriú said:

Bart Ehrman was tag teaming other tard-herders about some conspiracy for power by the part of the Fathers and Bishops to squish Gnotsticsm. Complete with some hippie talking about Gnostic superior spirituality, and Bart Ehrman mocking Irenaeus.
Bart Ehrman is enough reason not to watch it.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Aindriú said:

Tard-herders.  Good one.  Very descriptive of the sort.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Aindriú said:

It just amazes me that stuff like this can be broadcasted for such dishonesty.

I don't have alot of faith in the viewers who watch these programs and think what they see is true.

Reaction score
Aindriú said:

Such madness in this world.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Guys I feel really weird in regards to time and everything. Earlier today at around 6:00pm I had probably one of the worst migraines I've had in my life, so I lied down in bed and fell asleep for three hours until 9:00pm when my parents woke me up for dinner. Being the kind woman that she is, she even served me a plate and gave it to me in bed. Well, after eating I fell asleep again and I barely woke up at 1:15AM in the morning. Everyone else in the family is sleeping but I feel fully awake and better like I had already gotten a full nights sleep. What should I do? My schedule seems all off.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Guys I feel really weird in regards to time and everything. Earlier today at around 6:00pm I had probably one of the worst migraines I've had in my life, so I lied down in bed and fell asleep for three hours until 9:00pm when my parents woke me up for dinner. Being the kind woman that she is, she even served me a plate and gave it to me in bed. Well, after eating I fell asleep again and I barely woke up at 1:15AM in the morning. Everyone else in the family is sleeping but I feel fully awake and better like I had already gotten a full nights sleep. What should I do? My schedule seems all off.
I hope you feel better.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Went to the doctor today. I lost ten pounds  ;D