• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Knock knock.

Who's there?

To.

To who?

To whom.

;D

Grammatik macht frei!

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
That person said:
I really loathe jeans.
Expand? Or is it their their lack of expansion that causes your discontent?
That's part of it. I also find denim to be pretty irritating. I had to get some for work today, which will make the experience worse.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That person said:
orthonorm said:
That person said:
I really loathe jeans.
That's part of it. I also find denim to be pretty irritating. I had to get some for work today, which will make the experience worse.
So what do you wear that's not jeans?

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Achronos said:
That person said:
orthonorm said:
That person said:
I really loathe jeans.
So what do you wear that's not jeans?
Shorts for the most part. Slacks if it's super-cold or I need to be fancy.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
That person said:
I really loathe jeans.
I was watching a docuwhatever the other day, on PBS I think, and they were saying that jeans were a major part in ending the cold war. You aren't a commie are you?  :mad:

(kidding. I also usually wear shorts. I expect orthonorm to laugh at both of us for that.)

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
I really loathe jeans.
I was watching a docuwhatever the other day, on PBS I think, and they were saying that jeans were a major part in ending the cold war. You aren't a commie are you?  :mad:
Oh my that sounds great, what was it called?

"Sir he's wearing Levi's, abort nuclear launch!"

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
I really loathe jeans.

(kidding. I also usually wear shorts. I expect orthonorm to laugh at both of us for that.)
Hopefully you don't wear your shorts the same length as all the older men at my uncle's church...

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
I really loathe jeans.

Hopefully you don't wear your shorts the same length as all the older men at my uncle's church...
You mean almost boy shorts?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Achronos said:

Civilization: The West and the Rest (NY Times Article)

JamesRottnek said:
I'm afraid to ask...  :police:  But my are just standard, ordinary, boring, knee length.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:

JamesRottnek said:
I'm afraid to ask...  :police:  But my are just standard, ordinary, boring, knee length.
Good, because grown men do not belong in boy's clothing; in fact, police should look into such people...

Personally, I prefer cargo pants

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:

JamesRottnek said:
Good, because grown men do not belong in boy's clothing; in fact, police should look into such people...

You have a lot of stuff to carry?

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Aindriú said:
JamesRottnek said:
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:

JamesRottnek said:

You have a lot of stuff to carry?
Just cigarettes, a lighter, a phone, a wallet, and occasionally an Ipod, but the pants are quite comfortable.

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
Not under moderation anymore. I'll make sure to insult people in the most polite way from now on.
You irritate me every now and again, but I have never found you to be impolite.  You're wrong most of the time, but as my mother used to say, "Remember, people are entitled to the wrong opinion."  :)

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Woah! Someone on Pawn Stars brought in an old Russian Church Slavonic translation of St. John Chrysostom's homilies. I want it sooo badly...

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
JamesR said:
Woah! Someone on Pawn Stars brought in an old Russian Church Slavonic translation of St. John Chrysostom's homilies. I want it sooo badly...
If you go to Google Books and look up his name, you can find his sermon collections as pdf files. :)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ionnis said:
augustin717 said:
Not under moderation anymore. I'll make sure to insult people in the most polite way from now on.
You irritate me every now and again, but I have never found you to be impolite.  You're wrong most of the time, but as my mother used to say, "Remember, people are entitled to the wrong opinion."  :)
It's hard to always be polite and right like myself in this medium.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Let us remember that being well-read on a subject doesn't necessarily mean that they are knowledgable about it.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Right now there about threads of interest I wish I could post in an expansive manner in but time is just now there.

Oh well.

Back to the one liners.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
This probably as good a place to put it.

When you get a directive from a mod within a thread, do you necessarily get a PM about responding?

I often give folks I see with such stuff a heads up if I know they might not see it within the thread.

Just wondering.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I don't recall ever being PMd when, for example, I was asked to provide a source that I had left out of a post. I have been PMd, I think, each time I was formally moderated in some way (ie. to tell me that it had already been decided that I would be warned/moderated). I've also once or twice been PMd by mods in a sort of semi-semi-official way to ask me why I was being such a jerk and to warn me that I was going to be moderated if I kept it up.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
I have been warned once and a PM was sent explaining it.  I was sent a PM another time and was asked to explain my usage of a term.  I did but expected to receive a green meat ball as my explanation was honest and my usage was probably less than acceptable.  I did not get the green meat ball.  Another time I had a word changed but no further action taken and a PM was sent explaining it. 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
primuspilus said:
I just get the warning slapped on. I dont get requests for anything :(

PP
To be more clear perhaps, I referring to when there is a request within a thread to respond within a time frame and a lack of response triggering discipline.

I am not complaining, just wondering.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
When did our society decide that good-for-about-two-weeks-memes should replace good-for-generations-or-centuries-idioms?  Google must have an exact answer somewhere deep in it's innards. I wonder if it isn't an infallible sign that the end is near. I mad. I'm coming at you bro. I ain't even mirin. Weight woot?

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Went outside this morning to enjoy the day's first cigarette and got scared by a strange cat walking atop my fence. Do you think it was a sign from the Great Platypus? I don't want to be a victim of prelest, but it's really feeling like a sign.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
Went outside this morning to enjoy the day's first cigarette and got scared by a strange cat walking atop my fence. Do you think it was a sign from the Great Platypus? I don't want to be a victim of prelest, but it's really feeling like a sign.
Yes, it's a sign - that you shouldn't be enjoying the day's first cigarette - or the second - or the third - or....  :angel:

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
The Great Platypus rarely if ever uses cats for signs.  The only non-marsupials he uses are salamanders, and they are for delivering messages, due to their greater speech faculties.  I fear this cat may be an avatar of the moon crab. 

Ominous indeed.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
It was a sign to switch to American Spirits, the Eco-Friendly Cigarette.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
ZealousZeal said:
Forget the ecology.

They are not treated with accelerants and thus don't go up in smoke while you ain't smoking them.

If you are south enough to get Kentucky's Best (to ZZ, who I believe is in Ohio) they are similar and cheaper, if of lower grade and less tobacco.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
JamesRottnek said:
ZealousZeal said:
Forget the ecology.

They are not treated with accelerants and thus don't go up in smoke while you ain't smoking them.

If you are south enough to get Kentucky's Best (to ZZ, who I believe is in Ohio) they are similar and cheaper, if of lower grade and less tobacco.
I'm near Dayton, so pretty south. I've never heard of Kentucky's Best, but that doesn't mean anything other than I've always just mindlessly bought Marlboro Menthols. They're a lot cheaper here than in NY, that's for sure. Does Kentucky's Best have menthol?

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
The Great Platypus rarely if ever uses cats for signs.  The only non-marsupials he uses are salamanders, and they are for delivering messages, due to their greater speech faculties.  I fear this cat may be an avatar of the moon crab. 

Ominous indeed.
The plot thickens!

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
JamesRottnek said:
ZealousZeal said:
Forget the ecology.

I was debating whether or not to use "Eco-Friendly" or "Natural."  It was a close call.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
orthonorm said:
JamesRottnek said:
ZealousZeal said:
Forget the ecology.

I'm near Dayton, so pretty south. I've never heard of Kentucky's Best, but that doesn't mean anything other than I've always just mindlessly bought Marlboro Menthols. They're a lot cheaper here than in NY, that's for sure. Does Kentucky's Best have menthol?
American Spirits have menthol; just buy the dark green pack if you want full bodied menthol, and the other green pack if you want mellow menthol (mellow being the Sante Fe Natural Tobacco Company's term for lites).

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I have successfully worked out a schedule of classes for next semester that allows me to have a four-day weekend every week, Wednesdays off, and no class before noon.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
I have successfully worked out a schedule of classes for next semester that allows me to have a four-day weekend every week, Wednesdays off, and no class before noon.
Well done, good sir (and I know where you're coming from, and mean it!)

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
JamesRottnek said:
Well done, good sir (and I know where you're coming from, and mean it!)
This is one of the few, exceptionally important, benefits of attending a massive university: Classes are available at virtually all times of day.  Aside from my Tuesday's-at-noon class, all classes are in the later half of the afternoon and evening; my favorite time of day.