Random Postings

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
mike said:
SolEX01 said:
A high fiber diet may help.
And activated carbon or absinthe wormwood tea - awfully bitter but always works.
Anyone who's spent time in the military (e.g., our own Veniamin) will tell you that an MRE is also a good remedy for diarrhea. ;D
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,747
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
mike said:
SolEX01 said:
A high fiber diet may help.
And activated carbon or absinthe wormwood tea - awfully bitter but always works.
A shot of Ouzo, along with cheddar cheese and coffee grounds, always worked for me when I was younger.

Absinthe has recently been legalized in the USA.

Activated Carbon is for the ER smiley's.  ;)
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,747
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
serb1389 said:
SolEX01 said:
Absinthe has recently been legalized in the USA.
Are you serious?  How do you know?  happen to have an article or something??
Absinthe is legal, as long as thujone levels are less than 10 ppm.

Why is absinthe now being sold in the United States?

As of October 2007, the TTB a bureau under the Department of the Treasury has updated policy regarding the use of the term "absinthe" on labels of distilled spirits products and in related advertising material. They have approved the use of the term "absinthe" on the label of a distilled spirits product and in related advertisements only if the product is "thujone-free" pursuant to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) regulations.

Based on the updated policy, absinthe is considered "thujone-free" if it contains 10 ppm or less thujone.
 

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
5,090
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
serb1389 said:
SolEX01 said:
Absinthe has recently been legalized in the USA.
Are you serious?  How do you know?  happen to have an article or something??
Code:
I have a litre of Absinthe sitting on my computer desk as we speak, Kubler.  Thing is, this is real absinthe.  Sure it doesn't have the thujone content like that junk from the Czech.  But it is absinthe.  They proved thujone doesn't do anything to you... sage is legal to buy in the USA and it's crazy packed with thujone, heck it's in almost everyone's kitchen.  So they checked out old vintage real absinthe and it's low content thujone.  10ppm or what not it's about the flavour not the thujone. Considering Kubler is 53 percent alcohol (diluted four parts water to one part absinthe when drank though)  you probably can't drink too much of it period.  So the thujone content thin seems to be a bunch of baloney.  It's about flavour and correctness of the recipe not the thujone content. 
 

PoorFoolNicholas

OC.Net Guru
Site Supporter
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
1,664
Reaction score
0
Points
0
username! said:
serb1389 said:
SolEX01 said:
Absinthe has recently been legalized in the USA.
Are you serious?  How do you know?  happen to have an article or something??
Code:
I have a litre of Absinthe sitting on my computer desk as we speak, Kubler.  Thing is, this is real absinthe.  Sure it doesn't have the thujone content like that junk from the Czech.  But it is absinthe.  They proved thujone doesn't do anything to you... sage is legal to buy in the USA and it's crazy packed with thujone, heck it's in almost everyone's kitchen.  So they checked out old vintage real absinthe and it's low content thujone.  10ppm or what not it's about the flavour not the thujone. Considering Kubler is 53 percent alcohol (diluted four parts water to one part absinthe when drank though)  you probably can't drink too much of it period.  So the thujone content thin seems to be a bunch of baloney.  It's about flavour and correctness of the recipe not the thujone content.   
I have a quick question. Does Absinthe cause hallucinations? If so, is the now LEGAL absinthe in America cause hallucinations? And, where on earth would I get Absinthe, if it is hallucination free? I haven't seen it in any stores near me.
 

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
5,090
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
PoorFoolNicholas said:
username! said:
serb1389 said:
SolEX01 said:
Absinthe has recently been legalized in the USA.
Are you serious?  How do you know?  happen to have an article or something??
Code:
I have a litre of Absinthe sitting on my computer desk as we speak, Kubler.  Thing is, this is real absinthe.  Sure it doesn't have the thujone content like that junk from the Czech.  But it is absinthe.  They proved thujone doesn't do anything to you... sage is legal to buy in the USA and it's crazy packed with thujone, heck it's in almost everyone's kitchen.  So they checked out old vintage real absinthe and it's low content thujone.  10ppm or what not it's about the flavour not the thujone. Considering Kubler is 53 percent alcohol (diluted four parts water to one part absinthe when drank though)  you probably can't drink too much of it period.  So the thujone content thin seems to be a bunch of baloney.  It's about flavour and correctness of the recipe not the thujone content.   
I have a quick question. Does Absinthe cause hallucinations? If so, is the now LEGAL absinthe in America cause hallucinations? And, where on earth would I get Absinthe, if it is hallucination free? I haven't seen it in any stores near me.
Absinthe has always been hallucination free.  Sage is like 50% thujone, the chemical claimed to cause hallucinations in Absinthe.  In the USA it's like 10ppm per litre thujone.  Sage is sold everywhere.  There was a smear campaign against absinthe that spread out of France and for some reason governments believed the hype.  Read up on it.  They tested vintage Absinthes from early 1900.  They were super low in thujone.  Plus remember IF and that is IF thujone could have ever caused hallucinations you would die of alcohol poisoning before ever getting any effects of thujone because most absinthe is very high in alcohol content, like 50% and up.  It's basically neutral grain spirits with a series of bags, like giant tea bags, of high quality herbs left in the neutral grain spirits to flavour it.  Bags are removed some people add green colour to it, some don't (like Kubler).  It's bottled and sold. 
The myth that absinthe can or did make people hallucinate is one of the largest urban myths of the 20th century. 
 

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
8,785
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
35
Location
Springfield, MO
Ukiemeister said:
We need to start a Mead Revolution people....
I've been looking for a good mead. The International Wine Centre in town carries several varieties, but so far, most of them seem  to be trying to imitate champagne, and they do it badly. It doesn't taste horrible, but it's not that good, either. Any recommendations?
 

EofK

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
3,976
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Springfield, MO
Ukiemeister said:
We need to start a Mead Revolution people....
I shall take up my wooden mead mug and follow you, good sir!  So far the one I've liked best has been Chaucer's Mead out of California.  The one Mr. Y mentioned is a Missouri mead but, again, is mediocre.  Better than cheap champagne, but still not anything to write home about.
 
Top