Random Postings

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I need to prove to the police that a pterodactyl ate my ostrich egg. Suggestions?

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I need to prove to the police that a pterodactyl ate my ostrich egg. Suggestions?
Tell them that you are a scientist, and you discovered a species of pterodactyl that actually isn't extinct, but just very rare. You kept one at your house for further study, but it got out of the cage it was in and ate your ostrich egg.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
christian7777 said:
Asteriktos said:
Tell them that you are a scientist, and you discovered a species of pterodactyl that actually isn't extinct, but just very rare. You kept one at your house for further study, but it got out of the cage it was in and ate your ostrich egg.
This sounded like a splendid idea, so I tried it. They didn't believe me. They even threatened to lock me up for wasting their time! What?

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
So I was doing fireworks right and I accidentally shot a bottle rocket over this overweight crazy man's house across the street and I adamantly apologized but he kept swearing and yelling at me so I have him an unfriendly gesture involving a finger and went inside.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesR said:
So I was doing fireworks right and I accidentally shot a bottle rocket over this overweight crazy man's house across the street and I adamantly apologized but he kept swearing and yelling at me so I have him an unfriendly gesture involving a finger and went inside.
Your baptism just became voided.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
That's very gangsta of you.  We would have thrown the beer bottles at him followed by black cats and roman candles.  Maybe even a mortar shell if he hadn't left with a celerity to our liking.

As it is, our neighbor is a cool Canadian fellow and just stayed inside watching TV.  The Africans (Sudanese, I think) up the road were having a blast.  Several of them in fact.

It was a good time...except for the burn fingers.

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
christian7777 said:
Asteriktos said:
This sounded like a splendid idea, so I tried it. They didn't believe me. They even threatened to lock me up for wasting their time! What?
Such madness in this world!

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
Later, I will post a pic of the book I just got in the mail, a 1773 edition of vol 2 of Montesquieu's "Persian Letters" printed in Scotland.

I love old books.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
ironchapman said:
Later, I will post a pic of the book I just got in the mail, a 1773 edition of vol 2 of Montesquieu's "Persian Letters" printed in Scotland.

I love old books.
Cool :)  The oldest book I ever owned was from like 1904. I'm such a noob.  :angel:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
^^ Where can I buy that outfit.
Irwin M. Fletcher (aka Fletch) was the original owner, I don't know who has it now though. Gummy maybe.

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
ironchapman said:

I love old books.
Cool :)  The oldest book I ever owned was from like 1904. I'm such a noob.  :angel:
The oldest book I've ever owned was from the 1940's or 1950's.  :)

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
I deliver a daily morning paper - did that today no problem - and a weekly paper on Thursday afternoons. Usually the bundles of that paper arrive at my home by noon. It's now almost 1:45 and no sign of them. I won't be delivering those until well into the evening. Not going out in the heat! The paper is a free one, so I'd better not get any complaints about late delivery!

Reaction score
genesisone said:
I deliver a daily morning paper - did that today no problem - and a weekly paper on Thursday afternoons. Usually the bundles of that paper arrive at my home by noon. It's now almost 1:45 and no sign of them. I won't be delivering those until well into the evening. Not going out in the heat! The paper is a free one, so I'd better not get any complaints about late delivery!
I concur.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
genesisone said:
Did they ever come?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Ugh... they're forecasting that we're gonna get up to 104 degrees this Saturday...

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Ugh... they're forecasting that we're gonna get up to 104 degrees this Saturday...
How unfortunate. Even where I live it'll be slightly cooler, where the high will be 100.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
So I've had an epiphany. After years of wondering what I want to do with my life, I have decided that I want to become a pharmacist when I grow up. I love experimentation and I am great at getting down to all of the details. I think that these are good qualities for developing, creating and prescribing pharmaceuticals and this particular career is only growing. I was originally thinking of perhaps being a lawyer, but I know that there is heavy competition in that field right now and that they are gradually beginning to make less and less. But the market for pharmacists is growing and not many people are aware of the career. On median, they make about $98,000 a year and if I go into college knowing that I want this career, I can be a registered pharmacist in only six years opposed to the standard eight that most people have to train in order to get their career.

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
What's the policy on posting a link to personal blog posts? I just posted several pics of an old book I received there and wanted to share it with you guys.

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
JamesR said:
So I've had an epiphany. After years of wondering what I want to do with my life, I have decided that I want to become a pharmacist when I grow up. I love experimentation and I am great at getting down to all of the details. I think that these are good qualities for developing, creating and prescribing pharmaceuticals and this particular career is only growing. I was originally thinking of perhaps being a lawyer, but I know that there is heavy competition in that field right now and that they are gradually beginning to make less and less. But the market for pharmacists is growing and not many people are aware of the career. On median, they make about $98,000 a year and if I go into college knowing that I want this career, I can be a registered pharmacist in only six years opposed to the standard eight that most people have to train in order to get their career.
That's awesome, James. Go do it! Sounds like a great choice.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
ironchapman said:
What's the policy on posting a link to personal blog posts? I just posted several pics of an old book I received there and wanted to share it with you guys.
As far as I know it's frowned upon if it's not related to a discussion... but you're discussing it.. hmm... I'd contact a mod and ask them before posting it...

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ironchapman said:
If you click on Profile --> Forum Profile Information --> Website URL

Then paste your blog URL there.

If you click on the globe to the left of this post, it takes you to my personal blog.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I saw a Big Bang Theory episode today where Sheldon mentions in passing that the LHC has yet to isolate the Higgs boson particle.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
WeldeMikael said:
Achronos said:
I want to know why men think its a biological impulse to commit adultery.
We've been all "encouraged" to do this via medias, no ?
Well I was watching Dr. Drew on CNN and this guy was talking via Skype about how men will commit an extramarital affair and the excuse isn't a psychological problem, but rather natural because its biological.

Almost made me want to throw up. Of course it came from a man, no less.

WeldeMikael

High Elder
Reaction score
Don't despair about men... even if sometimes is really disheartening !

But I've already heard this statement.. It's biological, so don't resist, it's normal...  ::)

Also due to the fact that from childhood you learn to let your desires gain the upper-hand on yourself. (but I know that's not new  :D )

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
genesisone said:
Did they ever come?
Yes, finally around 3:00. I didn't catch the driver for an explanation - it's not likely his fault, though. But it was way too hot to head out and deliver. I waited until about 7:30. By then, a lot of people had wandered back outside and it took over two hours to deliver (usually about 1 h 15 min). You have no idea how chatty the people are in my neighbourhood :D.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
WeldeMikael said:
Achronos said:
We've been all "encouraged" to do this via medias, no ?
Well I was watching Dr. Drew on CNN and this guy was talking via Skype about how men will commit an extramarital affair and the excuse isn't a psychological problem, but rather natural because its biological.

Almost made me want to throw up. Of course it came from a man, no less.
It is natural and it is biological.  But neither of those things make it morally right.  Women try to find the best genes and get the man to stick around afterwards so that her progeny have a great chance at survival.  Even today with the single mother epidemic, they just find a different man - Uncle Sam - to raise their womb turds.  Men are biologically hardwired to use the shotgun approach - put as many little ones out as possible and some will surely have to survive!  Women do not have this option because they have to carry the kid for 9 months then due to cranium/exit size ratio the child cannot be abandoned for many years afterwards, probably puberty at least.

The thing with society is, we have made female breeding imperatives work because in the end, if her's doesn't work you won't have much of a population.  A woman will still try to pick the best man possible, but there always was the cultural goal that she pick quick (whilst still in her prime breeding years) or better yet, have a rational adult pick one for her, and then stick with the man rather than trying to find better and better genes for the next round of spawn - this enforced loyalty is a cultural reward for men to give up their mating prerogative, that they would enjoy the benefits of their sacrifice.

Modern hookup culture has perverted this.  Women put off child birth longer and longer.  All the while, many of them are still hooking up with men who display all the sexy traits (who all the while are exercising their natural prerogative) and then when it's time to breed (typically after or really close to the expiration date) find some beta provider to take care of them for a while before dumping them for the cash prizes that no-fault divorce allows for, and then letting Uncle Sam become the provider while they try to find a man more to the tastes they had in their twenties.

Luckily for humanity, enough men and women have bought into religion, or at least in to the former cultural norm, and are willing to use the tried and true methods of our civilized ancestors.  Without these methods (i.e. marriage) you would have a general degradation and eventual collapse of civilization.  As it is, you can see signs of this degradation all around you.

Lord have mercy.  Censeo, liberalism delenda est.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
christian7777 said:
Today and tomorrow will be hot days.
Oh we are headed to 10 consecutive days of 100+F. Might end up getting 14 straight days of it.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Because it is. By our very nature we are not monogomous. Men were biologically designed to have several female partners. Hence why we can orgasm like every ten minutes whereas it takes nine months for one woman to have a child.