Random Postings

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
Hiwot said:
Asteriktos said:
Hiwot said:
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
Hiwot said:
ZealousZeal said:
I'm so sick I'm barely lucid. Anything I may have posted in the last 24 hours should be taken in that light.
sorry to hear that ZZ, I pray you feel better,Lord have mercy! +hug+
Thank you, Hiwot. :) I feel a bit better today. Definitely lucid... Which was lucky because I had to pull myself together and go to my new school to register for classes. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me today was also the day to get my picture taken for my student ID/Mugbook.  :-\  Guess who's the prettiest gal on campus? Not this guy.  ::)  :p
Oh, I doubt that.  I'm sure you were the prettiest little llama ever!   ;)

Hope you start feeling better soon!
seconding this  ;D 

now if only I had your kind of excuse when mine was taken... :-[
We need to see some pictures of you on the "What's everyone look like" thread to determine with exactitude your llamaness...  8)
mine was floating around as my avatar awhile back, the pain of it staring back at me became too much to bear, so it got tossed away into oblivion   ;D  perhaps someday soon when my masochistic mood strikes again I will put it back up lol
Oh, stop it!  You were a pleasure to look at!
 

Hiwot

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
1,934
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
44
Location
USA
vamrat said:
Hiwot said:
Asteriktos said:
Hiwot said:
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
Hiwot said:
ZealousZeal said:
I'm so sick I'm barely lucid. Anything I may have posted in the last 24 hours should be taken in that light.
sorry to hear that ZZ, I pray you feel better,Lord have mercy! +hug+
Thank you, Hiwot. :) I feel a bit better today. Definitely lucid... Which was lucky because I had to pull myself together and go to my new school to register for classes. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me today was also the day to get my picture taken for my student ID/Mugbook.  :-\  Guess who's the prettiest gal on campus? Not this guy.  ::)  :p
Oh, I doubt that.  I'm sure you were the prettiest little llama ever!   ;)

Hope you start feeling better soon!
seconding this  ;D 

now if only I had your kind of excuse when mine was taken... :-[
We need to see some pictures of you on the "What's everyone look like" thread to determine with exactitude your llamaness...  8)
mine was floating around as my avatar awhile back, the pain of it staring back at me became too much to bear, so it got tossed away into oblivion   ;D  perhaps someday soon when my masochistic mood strikes again I will put it back up lol
Oh, stop it!  You were a pleasure to look at!
And you are sweetness itself ! :angel:
 

Manalive

Elder
Joined
Jul 27, 2010
Messages
289
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
I ate some kind of beef jerky snack my friend brought across the sea from China. It was oily, spicy, and hard-- and now, I don't feel quite normal. I'm sure I'll be okay since 1.4 billion people eat it, but I'm having my doubts.  :-[
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
vamrat said:
Hiwot said:
Asteriktos said:
Hiwot said:
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
Hiwot said:
ZealousZeal said:
I'm so sick I'm barely lucid. Anything I may have posted in the last 24 hours should be taken in that light.
sorry to hear that ZZ, I pray you feel better,Lord have mercy! +hug+
Thank you, Hiwot. :) I feel a bit better today. Definitely lucid... Which was lucky because I had to pull myself together and go to my new school to register for classes. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me today was also the day to get my picture taken for my student ID/Mugbook.  :-\  Guess who's the prettiest gal on campus? Not this guy.  ::)  :p
Oh, I doubt that.  I'm sure you were the prettiest little llama ever!   ;)

Hope you start feeling better soon!
seconding this  ;D 

now if only I had your kind of excuse when mine was taken... :-[
We need to see some pictures of you on the "What's everyone look like" thread to determine with exactitude your llamaness...  8)
mine was floating around as my avatar awhile back, the pain of it staring back at me became too much to bear, so it got tossed away into oblivion   ;D  perhaps someday soon when my masochistic mood strikes again I will put it back up lol
Oh, stop it!  You were a pleasure to look at!
Aha! I agree. I was wondering if that was you when it was your avatar. You are lovely, Hiwot. No surprise there- we already knew you were lovely on the inside. :)

And thank you both. I feel like a whole new person today. :) Even cautiously optimistic about my ID. At least I wore my glasses yesterday- hopefully the glare on them will hide the glassy, red eyes.  :D
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Manalive said:
I ate some kind of beef jerky snack my friend brought across the sea from China. It was oily, spicy, and hard-- and now, I don't feel quite normal. I'm sure I'll be okay since 1.4 billion people eat it, but I'm having my doubts.  :-[
I like your logic! Hope you feel better!
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Just watched Ross Ashcroft's Four Horsemen. I didn't buy everything in it but it felt like a breath of fresh air in the sense that it was fairly critical towards present economics while being wholeheartedly in favour of Capitalism, without advocating Socialism or equating Capitalism with bad treatment of workers. I have hardly ever seen anything that reasonable in Finland.

I wonder what comes next. Pink elephants? Fairies? A reasonable politician?
 
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
288
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Manalive said:
I ate some kind of beef jerky snack my friend brought across the sea from China. It was oily, spicy, and hard-- and now, I don't feel quite normal. I'm sure I'll be okay since 1.4 billion people eat it, but I'm having my doubts.  :-[
I try to avoid snacks from China. For some reason, I've just always been suspicious about the quality of the snacks from there; when I eat snacks from Asia, I eat the ones from South Korea or Japan.
 

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
16,379
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
54
Location
Australia
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct English sentence.

It is also possible to repeat the word "that" five times in succession in a grammatically correct English sentence.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ozgeorge said:
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct English sentence.

It is also possible to repeat the word "that" five times in succession in a grammatically correct English sentence.
Put down the generative grammar texts . . .
 

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
16,379
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
54
Location
Australia
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
orthonorm said:
ozgeorge said:
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct English sentence.

It is also possible to repeat the word "that" five times in succession in a grammatically correct English sentence.
Put down the generative grammar texts . . .
I'll do even better; here's the Reed-Kellogg diagram:
 

Attachments

Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
288
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ozgeorge said:
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct English sentence.

It is also possible to repeat the word "that" five times in succession in a grammatically correct English sentence.
I'm familiar with the Buffalo thing, but I wasn't aware that the word "that" five times in succession could be correct as well. :)
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
49
Location
Portland, Oregon
ozgeorge said:
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct English sentence.

It is also possible to repeat the word "that" five times in succession in a grammatically correct English sentence.
Okay, you have me buffaloed. ???
 

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
16,379
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
54
Location
Australia
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
PeterTheAleut said:
ozgeorge said:
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct English sentence.

It is also possible to repeat the word "that" five times in succession in a grammatically correct English sentence.
Okay, you have me buffaloed. ???
Buffalo buffalo             -       Bison from Buffalo NY
Buffalo buffalo buffalo   -       which are intimidated by other bison from Buffalo NY
buffalo Buffalo buffalo   -       themselves, in turn, intimidate other bison from Buffalo NY

One of the students wrote the word "that" and the teacher said that that "that" that that student wrote was grammatically incorrect.
 

ironchapman

High Elder
Joined
Oct 22, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
North Dakota
It never fails to amaze me how many old school backpacks I still use to transport things. I have at least 5, including a couple from middle school (for many years, I'd get a new one each year).

They come in handy to move DVDs, books, etc. from my parents' house to my apartment & back and also on vacations.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
ZealousZeal said:
I'm so sick I'm barely lucid. Anything I may have posted in the last 24 hours should be taken in that light.
I don't know how but somehow you made me sick.  I am semi-ok now, but I stayed home from work yesterday and even had to cancel a date.  I slept the vast majority of the last 30 hours or so, waking up at least once per hour.  I at one can of soup.  I still feel weak, but the fever broke last night at 2 am.
 

ironchapman

High Elder
Joined
Oct 22, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
North Dakota
Bought a copy of the Orthodox Study Bible yesterday while I was visiting with my priest. Nice looking Bible all around.

celticfan1888 said:
I will live in Wyoming someday, it is decided!
Wyoming is amazing. Beautiful state.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,222
Reaction score
90
Points
48
Age
41
Achronos does not get eaten by the eel at this time. I'm explaining to you because you look nervous.
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
I'm so sick I'm barely lucid. Anything I may have posted in the last 24 hours should be taken in that light.
I don't know how but somehow you made me sick.  I am semi-ok now, but I stayed home from work yesterday and even had to cancel a date.  I slept the vast majority of the last 30 hours or so, waking up at least once per hour.  I at one can of soup.  I still feel weak, but the fever broke last night at 2 am.
I'm sorry. That sounds exactly like my sickness itinerary. I probably coughed on this thread or something. Feel better!
 

celticfan1888

Archon
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Louisiana
Alpo said:
celticfan1888 said:
I will live in Wyoming someday, it is decided!
So your are not planning return to Norway?
Not long term, no. Just my yearly visits for family. Now that I am getting married, I have to think about my spouses needs, and she really would go through a tough time there. Wyoming is just far enough from where we are to make a new start, but close enough for her to see her family, and for her to still accustomed to her surroundings.

Plus, Wyoming is beautiful, and I can have the horse farm I've always wanted there, and have my mountains. There's a university in Laramie, WY I can teach at after Grad School. Plus, there are tons of Scandinavians there, so I can still get my food!  :D

Granted, this is all if football doesn't pan-out first (I'm actually in France right now on trial with PSG), which could take me all over the world, but either way after I retire I will be Wyoming-bound!
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
ZealousZeal said:
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
I'm so sick I'm barely lucid. Anything I may have posted in the last 24 hours should be taken in that light.
I don't know how but somehow you made me sick.  I am semi-ok now, but I stayed home from work yesterday and even had to cancel a date.  I slept the vast majority of the last 30 hours or so, waking up at least once per hour.  I at one can of soup.  I still feel weak, but the fever broke last night at 2 am.
I'm sorry. That sounds exactly like my sickness itinerary. I probably coughed on this thread or something. Feel better!
Thank you!  I started feeling better yesterday.  It was a quick run thing.  The worst part was, since I slept so much the day before, last night I could only sleep two hours last night!
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
I'm so sick I'm barely lucid. Anything I may have posted in the last 24 hours should be taken in that light.
I don't know how but somehow you made me sick.  I am semi-ok now, but I stayed home from work yesterday and even had to cancel a date.  I slept the vast majority of the last 30 hours or so, waking up at least once per hour.  I at one can of soup.  I still feel weak, but the fever broke last night at 2 am.
Welcome to pretty much all of my last autumn.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
orthonorm said:
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
I'm so sick I'm barely lucid. Anything I may have posted in the last 24 hours should be taken in that light.
I don't know how but somehow you made me sick.  I am semi-ok now, but I stayed home from work yesterday and even had to cancel a date.  I slept the vast majority of the last 30 hours or so, waking up at least once per hour.  I at one can of soup.  I still feel weak, but the fever broke last night at 2 am.
Welcome to pretty much all of my last autumn.
Honestly, you really have my sympathy.  One day of that was more than I'd wish on anyone.  If you ever have a crappy time like that again I live to far to give you any comfort, like 7up or chicken soup, but I would be more than willing to refrain from saying 'postmodern' in that time. 


Not that I typically say 'postmodern', but I'd be more than careful not to slip out and say it, as out of character as it may otherwise be.
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
0
Points
0
celticfan1888 said:
Plus, there are tons of Scandinavians there, so I can still get my food!  :D
Ha! What Scandinavian food you're missing in US?

I see that you've yet to acquire Orthodox phronema. There isn't gender equality in Holy Russia. :police:
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
I'm so sick I'm barely lucid. Anything I may have posted in the last 24 hours should be taken in that light.
I don't know how but somehow you made me sick.  I am semi-ok now, but I stayed home from work yesterday and even had to cancel a date.  I slept the vast majority of the last 30 hours or so, waking up at least once per hour.  I at one can of soup.  I still feel weak, but the fever broke last night at 2 am.
I'm sorry. That sounds exactly like my sickness itinerary. I probably coughed on this thread or something. Feel better!
Thank you!  I started feeling better yesterday.  It was a quick run thing.  The worst part was, since I slept so much the day before, last night I could only sleep two hours last night!
Tell me about it! The sickness passed quickly but my sleep schedule was wrecked for days- which is really saying something, because it was not great to begin with. Insomnia is my middle name.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
First time for this error message from oc.net:

You have exceeded the limit of 20 personal messages per hour.
Surely I have received this many or more in an hour before.

Weird.
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
orthonorm said:
First time for this error message from oc.net:

You have exceeded the limit of 20 personal messages per hour.
Surely I have received this many or more in an hour before.

Weird.
I received your 20 PMs, sucks that I have to wait for your responses on the other 1238 other PMs I sent you.
 

celticfan1888

Archon
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Louisiana
Alpo said:
celticfan1888 said:
Plus, there are tons of Scandinavians there, so I can still get my food!  :D
Ha! What Scandinavian food you're missing in US?

I see that you've yet to acquire Orthodox phronema. There isn't gender equality in Holy Russia. :police:
Exactly, meatcakes, krumkake, sodd,grovbrød and butter, the meatballs, cod and potatoes, wienerbrød, etc.  You can't find much of the cuisine here in Louisiana (there is only one Swedish restaurant here, which serves some Norwegian dishes). But there are so many Scandinavian and German descendants there, they have SEVERAL restaurants in the relatively small population that have our types of food.

I have the Orthodox pride, but I'm not arrogant about it.  ;)
 

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Joined
Sep 19, 2010
Messages
8,838
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
JamesR said:
Because it is. By our very nature we are not monogomous. Men were biologically designed to have several female partners. Hence why we can orgasm like every ten minutes whereas it takes nine months for one woman to have a child.
[Trigger Warning: This post contains Theory of Biological Evolution]

James,

Let us first examine the closest living genetic relative of the Homo sapiens, the Chimpanzee, because I told us to.

Chimpanzee males are much larger and stronger than Chimpanzee females. Chimpanzee males develop crests as a sign of dominance. Chimpanzee females express visible signs of ovulation. The Chimpanzee males fight over ovulating females and the stronger one gets the female. This results in many "polygamous" situations.

Now, let us examine the homo sapiens:

Homo sapiens males are not, comparatively, much larger or stronger than Homo sapiens females. They do not develop crests as a sign of dominance. The females do not express visible signs of ovulation; human males, therefore cannot fight over ovulating females.

Why did homo sapiens evolve this way, and what does it say about their 'natural' sexual practices?

[Trigger warning: Investigation in progress among biological anthropologists]

Recent discoveries have overturned the idea that hominids evolved to walk on two legs in order to walk and see across distances over savannah land. One of the oldest bipedal hominids walked on two legs in the forest. Because you can carry more food that way. Who is carrying food? The males. Why? To feed the female and her children.

Chimpanzee males ensure that they have the largest possibility of being the father of as many children as possible by mating with as many ovulating females as possible. But a hominid male invests a lot of time an energy in feeding his children in order to insure their survival. What stops a stronger male from simply impregnating his female and making the providing male a cuckold while he's not around?

Because hominid women don't show visible signs of ovulation, other males do not know when the female is fertile. So they don't know if mating with her will produce offspring from that mating or not. But this still leaves a problem: What makes the providing male more likely to impregnate the female on random chance than another male who mates with her?

Hormonal Pair Bonding, that's what.

Studies in homo sapiens have shown that pair-bonded partners have linked hormone cycles. Male testosterone peaks when female fertility peaks. This ensures that the pair-bonded, providing male has the greatest chance of impregnating his female and providing for his own children.

So, in short, the so-called "default" mating behavior of the hominid is serial monogamy with occasional straying. Interesting; that's just what you see today.
 

montalo

Archon
Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Messages
2,011
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
27
celticfan1888 said:
Alpo said:
celticfan1888 said:
I will live in Wyoming someday, it is decided!
So your are not planning return to Norway?
Not long term, no. Just my yearly visits for family. Now that I am getting married, I have to think about my spouses needs, and she really would go through a tough time there. Wyoming is just far enough from where we are to make a new start, but close enough for her to see her family, and for her to still accustomed to her surroundings.

Plus, Wyoming is beautiful, and I can have the horse farm I've always wanted there, and have my mountains. There's a university in Laramie, WY I can teach at after Grad School. Plus, there are tons of Scandinavians there, so I can still get my food!  :D

Granted, this is all if football doesn't pan-out first (I'm actually in France right now on trial with PSG), which could take me all over the world, but either way after I retire I will be Wyoming-bound!
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PSG.


Im a Marseille supporter, what else could you expect :p
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
It's you I love and not another
And I know our love will last forever
You I love and not another
And I know we'll always be together
Some have one love, two and three love
Four and five and six love
But I believe in one love
I believe in one love

Some don't feel secure unless they have a woman on each arm
They have to play the field, prove they have charm
They say don't lay your eggs in 1 basket
If the basket should fall all the eggs'll be broken

But I believe in one love
I believe in one love
Oh girl I believe in one love
I believe in one love

Oh girl it's not the everyday you find the woman of your dreams
Who will always be there no matter how bad things seem
Ever so faithful ever so sure
No man could ever ask for more

I believe in 1 love
I believe in one love, oh girl
I believe in one love
I believe, girl, oh yeah
In one love, in one love
In one love, in one love

I do, I do, I do
In one love
I do
In one love
I believe in one love, in one love.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CGMQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elyrics.net%2Fread%2Fm%2Fmassive-attack-lyrics%2Fone-love-lyrics.html&ei=UfAdULKwC8eGyQGvwIDIBw&usg=AFQjCNGkUMJVjXieyUqN8r5vs5Z9eGg9xw
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
a rich man once told me, hey life's a funny thing / a poor man once told me that he can't afford to speak
 
Top