• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
JorgenThorbjørnsen said:
orthonorm said:
celticfan1888 said:
That person said:
This is the most uncomfortably racist things have gotten around here in a while.
How is it racist? Have you any idea it is not an issue of race, but an issue of culture? I never said, nor will say, any race is inferior. Please forgive me, but where did you assume the idea was a "racist"? My fiancee is hispanic after all.
"Culture" is the word Europeans use to mask their xenophobia.
Culture is a word used when you don't want the ways of your people to die, actually.
Forgive him. He has uncontrollable, over-personality. And he thinks he knows everything. Not to mention he uses "ain't". :laugh:

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Do you have Finnish friends or something? That's the first word that Finns usually tend to teach to foreigners. :p

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Orthodox11 said:
celticfan1888 said:
Hmm, not sure I'm with you on Russia. I know a ton of Russians and I'm pretty sure they would win the European Xenophobia Cup. When you travel to a lot of the southern European countries with your German football team next year, it wouldn't be shocking to hear rival fans making monkey sounds or throwing bananas onto the pitch whenever one of your black team mates gets the ball. It has been in the news quite often. Serbia just last week, though Italy are the usual culprits (of course, the behaviour of football hooligans shouldn't be taken as normative, but it nonetheless betrays a greater tolerance for such attitudes). There's a big north/south, east/west, on the subject, which is why I think orthonorm's referring to "Europeans" as a unified group is off.
Serbia and Italia's FA have gotten in major trouble for the supporter's racism in the past, including Serbia against England.

When I was in St. Petersberg, I saw more than a few mix racial couples, but maybe it was the exception?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Koska en ollut aivan varma, oliko se vitsi eli google-kääntäjä. Olisi melko randomia törmätä amerikkalaisella keskustelupalstalla suomentaitoiseen hollantilaiseen.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
celticfan1888 said:
Alpo said:
Cyrillic said:
Koska en ollut aivan varma, oliko se vitsi eli google-kääntäjä. Olisi melko randomia törmätä amerikkalaisella keskustelupalstalla suomentaitoiseen hollantilaiseen.
Finnish is so strange.
Well we can always comfort ourselves that Danish sounds even stranger.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Alpo said:
celticfan1888 said:
Alpo said:
Cyrillic said:
Finnish is so strange.
Well we can always comfort ourselves that Danish sounds even stranger.
Danes just sound like they speak with a potato in their mouth. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
celticfan1888 said:
orthonorm said:
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
Why do White women always fall for minority men?
They don't. A lot of women that I know are disgusted with the idea, even those who pretend to be left-wing hippies.
See my comments about Europe above . . .
It's the same way in America, genius.
Not where I have lived. Sorry, you are lost here. (Read you comments above about non-Nowegians living Oslo.)

I've stayed for more than a year in more than a few places in this country as well as in Europe.

At one time, mixed couples might have been more tolerated in Europe.

Not any more.
I second this in defense of the homeland!  Here in Arizona, white people frequently have relationships with Asians, Hispanics, and black people.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Speaking of soccer and hooliganism.

In a Spanish class we were listening to this audio file about hooligans. There were multiple choice questions, one of which was what happened before the 1985 Euro Cup final. I lol'd at the option which said a bunch of people died because I thought that was absurd and there's no way that could be the right answer.

I feel bad.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
William said:
Speaking of soccer and hooliganism.

In a Spanish class we were listening to this audio file about hooligans. There were multiple choice questions, one of which was what happened before the 1985 Euro Cup final. I lol'd at the option which said a bunch of people died because I thought that was absurd and there's no way that could be the right answer.

I feel bad.
There even was a war about a lost soccer match.

Reaction score
JorgenThorbjørnsen said:
Thank you! Yes, we exist, although a wee minority. I do hope people here, i.e. Americans, realize that Nationalism ≠ Xenophobia
I do; in fact, I wish there was more nationalism in Europe. As xenophobic as this may sound, I believe that Europe should try to stay "as white as possible", being that Europe is, after all, where white people come from. I don't like the idea of Islamic culture taking over Europe, and I hope that nationalism increases throughout Europe soon, and that more people wake up and see the true dangers of Islam (including in America; there's too much tolerance for Islam here too) and the importance of maintaining their culture.

And for those of you who think I sound like a white nationalist, I'm not even white; I'm mixed (though I am half-white). I just don't want to see European cultures be destroyed, just as much as I don't want to see the cultures of Africa, Asia, and other parts of the world destroyed. Multiculturalism may fit here in America, but it doesn't mean that it belongs everywhere else in the world. All races living together in the world doesn't mean destroying distinctive cultures.

Orthodox11

Archon
Reaction score
christian7777 said:
As xenophobic as this may sound, I believe that Europe should try to stay "as white as possible", being that Europe is, after all, where white people come from.
This is the problem, the conflation of culture and race. The preservation of European cultures does not necessitate the preservation of 'whiteness'. It is perfectly possible for someone to be ethnically Ethiopian but culturally Swedish.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Orthodox11 said:
It is perfectly possible for someone to be ethnically Ethiopian but culturally Swedish.
I would say it is impossible to be either.

In the day to day get along way of speaking these sorta constructions might work: race, ethnicity, nationality, etc., but they have nearly no bearing once put under any serious scrutiny.

In the end, all this politics of identity is begging the question with those who have the most power doing the majority of the begging.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
European politics is almost impossible to understand for Americans but this is not the thread or the subforum to discuss it.

Orthodox11

Archon
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
I would say it is impossible to be either.
If you are talking in absolute terms, of course. Racial purity is a fiction, and cultures are both diverse and constantly evolving. However, there is still something about the shared experience, language(s), general attitudes, common habits, etc. of a people that allows one to speak of Swedish culture, Greek culture, etc. So a person can be born of Ethiopian parents and still follow the general customs, habits, etc. of most Swedish people - which is what I mean by culturally Swedish - rather than those of most Ethiopians.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
orthonorm said:
celticfan1888 said:
orthonorm said:
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
Why do White women always fall for minority men?
They don't. A lot of women that I know are disgusted with the idea, even those who pretend to be left-wing hippies.
See my comments about Europe above . . .
It's the same way in America, genius.
Not where I have lived. Sorry, you are lost here. (Read you comments above about non-Nowegians living Oslo.)

I've stayed for more than a year in more than a few places in this country as well as in Europe.

At one time, mixed couples might have been more tolerated in Europe.

Not any more.
I second this in defense of the homeland!  Here in Arizona, white people frequently have relationships with Asians, Hispanics, and black people.
They do that in nearly every part of Western Europe. Genius.

P.S. If you call Asians "Asians", what is wrong with calling black people "Africans"?

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Nationalism is evil. Culture is evil. It causes people to separate themselves and create a barrier between each other and not just accept that they are all humans. I admit, I don't like Europe's tolerance for Islamic culture, but for different reasons. Europe shouldn't reject it because they want to 'preserve their European culture' but because it is violent and dangerous. Besides, Europe screwed up the culture of Africa and Meso/South America so I could care less what happens to their culture.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Nationalism is evil. Culture is evil. It causes people to separate themselves and create a barrier between each other and not just accept that they are all humans. I admit, I don't like Europe's tolerance for Islamic culture, but for different reasons. Europe shouldn't reject it because they want to 'preserve their European culture' but because it is violent and dangerous. Besides, Europe screwed up the culture of Africa and Meso/South America so I could care less what happens to their culture.
I wish people knew what Nationalism was.

Too many liberals like Orthonorm on this thread.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Orthodox11 said:
christian7777 said:
As xenophobic as this may sound, I believe that Europe should try to stay "as white as possible", being that Europe is, after all, where white people come from.
The preservation of European cultures does not necessitate the preservation of 'whiteness'. It is perfectly possible for someone to be ethnically Ethiopian but culturally Swedish.
THIS

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
celticfan1888 said:
JamesR said:

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
celticfan1888 said:
...what is wrong with calling black people "Africans"?
There is actually a controversy about this. While technically all Black people can trace their ancestory back to Africa (as can all humanity actually), there are some who believe that referring to all Blacks as 'Africans' may be incorrect, the reason being because what about the Black people who live in places like Jamaica and the Caribbean Islands? I would say that the Black people living in those areas have developed their own distinctive Black subculture with significant differences from Africa. So perhaps calling them 'African' might not be the best term. Idk.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
celticfan1888 said:
JamesR said:

I didn't bring up race at all. I perfectly know what Nationalism is. It is a sense of pride that people (of whatever race) inhabiting a particular area or region take in their culture and history. I think that it is a bad philosophy because it leads to people thinking they are better than others and separating themselves from other humans, ultimately leading to war and hatred.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JorgenThorbjørnsen said:
Cyrillic said:
JorgenThorbjørnsen said:
orthonorm said:
celticfan1888 said:
That person said:
This is the most uncomfortably racist things have gotten around here in a while.
How is it racist? Have you any idea it is not an issue of race, but an issue of culture? I never said, nor will say, any race is inferior. Please forgive me, but where did you assume the idea was a "racist"? My fiancee is hispanic after all.
"Culture" is the word Europeans use to mask their xenophobia.
Culture is a word used when you don't want the ways of your people to die, actually.
According to the multiculturalists that's xenophobia, but we have a politics board for topics like that.
American's haven't the slightest concept of what this topic was about. America doesn't have a true culture, it is a mixture of all cultures, which is great and they should embrace. But they don't know what it is really like to watch you history erode beneath their feet.

No one is saying any culture is better or worse. We just want to preserve ours, as they would theirs, and we all should.
Perhaps it's a bit personal, but how's the Ecumenical Patriarchate part of the Swedish culture you want to preserve?

Orthodox11

Archon
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
Perhaps it's a bit personal, but how's the Ecumenical Patriarchate part of the Swedish culture you want to preserve?
Verangian guard?

Reaction score
Sometimes I think it'd be interesting if Old English hardly changed and as a result modern English speakers spoke a language like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y13cES7MMd8

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
celticfan1888 said:
Kerdy said:
celticfan1888 said:
Kerdy said:
celticfan1888 said:
I always knew it was bad...but I never knew the exact numbers: About 30% of Oslo are of non-Norwegian background. Could be 50% by 2030. I think that is absurd.
I've been to Narvik.  Beautiful place!  Walked into a bank and asked the teller if she spoke English.  With a straight face she said, " I do.  Do you speak English?" 
You were going skiing I suppose? :laugh:
There was a lot of snow.  To date, it was probably my favorite place I've been outside the USA.
I asked because it is supposedly the best place in the country for Alpine Skiing. I've wanted to go there, but that's further north than I've ever been! lol
I was there on business.  There was a lot of snow and very cold.  It snowed almost every day.  I am cure the skiing was great, but I didn’t get a chance to do any.  I can tell you it was difficult to just walk around and drive.  I did visit the WW2 museum there where they had a Nazi submarine hanging from the rafters.  That was pretty neat!  You should go see it if you can and tell me what it is like now.  If I can figure out how to scan some pictures and put them on here, I will post them for you, but they are about 20 years old.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
JamesR said:
celticfan1888 said:
...what is wrong with calling black people "Africans"?
There is actually a controversy about this. While technically all Black people can trace their ancestory back to Africa (as can all humanity actually), there are some who believe that referring to all Blacks as 'Africans' may be incorrect, the reason being because what about the Black people who live in places like Jamaica and the Caribbean Islands? I would say that the Black people living in those areas have developed their own distinctive Black subculture with significant differences from Africa. So perhaps calling them 'African' might not be the best term. Idk.
MY POINT IS BELLOW TO KERDY.

P.S. I am agreeing with you.