Random Postings

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Ah. I see. Well, I stand by my comments that the advert is entirely ineffective. The show during which it was recorded, however, is one of my favourites (we use DVR so we don't watch any commercials any more).

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
The cool thing about the desert is that it just doesn't give a damn.
Does it soften its hard-exterior for the horse with no name?

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
...how can one sew without a pattern?

I still use them....and am amazed how much they charge for a piece of transparent paper.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
I had read somewhere that the companies making patterns thought about ending the practice until the current economic downturn where people reverted to sewing their own clothes....

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
I had read somewhere that the companies making patterns thought about ending the practice until the current economic downturn where people reverted to sewing their own clothes....
Downturn, shmownturn. Ask any woman (mothers, aunts, sisters, etc) who sews her own clothes (or, at least, a proportion of them) why she does it. Being able to have a garment in the fabric and color one wants, not what the chainstore or boutique offers is one reason; another, very important one, is being able to have clothes that FIT PROPERLY. Either you make it yourself, or get a tailor or seamstress to make it for you.

My own mother was one of these, with a disproportionate body, and an eye for style: narrow shoulders, small waist, long in the body, flared out below the hips. Off-the-rack clothes such as women's suits or "good" dresses were out of the question. So, for many years, she made her own, and always looked magnificent in whatever she made.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
If more women sewed their own clothes, there would be less criticisms by Staci London, host of What Not to Wear.

I do emphatize with women who go into the finest boutiques in NYC and can't find absolutely nothing to wear.

Where have you gone, Home Economics Class?  ???

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I would sew more often, if only I could get my sewing machine to stop doing it's "own thing", and do what I want it to do!

;)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Where have you gone, Home Economics Class?   ??? 
We learned sewing in Home Ec in the 90's.  It's not dead (at least it wasn't then).

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Ahhh!  So you have a room full of 9th grade boys!
:laugh: Whoever can convince ninth grade boys that it's cool to take a shower every day will become my personal hero.
It's been so long since I actually interacted with 9th graders on a daily basis--well, since I was in 9th Grade myself--that I'd kinda forgotten about this.  Now that I think about it, I never really noticed how we smelled back then.  I guess it's consistent with that adage "Pigs don't know that pigs stink." :laugh:

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
PeterTheAleut said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
LizaSymonenko said:
:laugh: Whoever can convince ninth grade boys that it's cool to take a shower every day will become my personal hero.
It's been so long since I actually interacted with 9th graders on a daily basis--well, since I was in 9th Grade myself--that I'd kinda forgotten about this.  Now that I think about it, I never really noticed how we smelled back then.  I guess it's consistent with that adage "Pigs don't know that pigs stink." :laugh:
My high school had uniforms, and it was hardly uncommon to see white collared or golf shirts ending up all shades of pale yellow and green.  :p

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
LizaSymonenko said:
My high school had uniforms, and it was hardly uncommon to see white collared or golf shirts ending up all shades of pale yellow and green.  :p
EWWWWWW