Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Another Twilight movie is coming out. Was that really necessary? 
Another Saw movie came out.  Was it really necessary?
Point: logic doesn't influence cinema's decision making.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Another Saw movie came out.  Was it really necessary?
Well... yes  ;D
I suppose the only objective criterion would be box office receipts (which I presume were good enough to make a profit).

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Well, I can't speak to that... I suppose Twilight probably makes enough money to pay for itself. I guess I don't mind the Saw movies because I actually like bad movies, especially when "bad" means corny or over-the-top horror or comedy. But some movies are so bad that I can't take them. Take a movie like Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966). That's the worst movie I've ever watched, and I couldn't even watch the whole episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 which featured it. I sort of put the Twilight stuff in the same, essentially unwatchable class, based on what I saw of the first movie and what I know of the books (which my wife was a fan of for some reason).

Reaction score
Website
nyssashobbithole.com
Nebelpfade said:
Up here the instant Hallowe'en is over, the Christmas season starts.  All the Hallowe'en candy, costumes and commercials vanish, and Christmas things are everywhere.
The other day I went to Target hoping to find some Thanksgiving decorations.  You know, pilgrims, cornocopias, window decals.  The sort of thing my mom used to put up every year.  But all I saw was Christmas stuff!  :p

It's just like how you don't see Thanksgiving movies anymore, just Christmas movies, even though I'm sure there were plenty of Pilgrim movies made in the Olden days....

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
When do you all put up Christmas decorations in the US? I remember being in California in October a few times and buying things for our tree in the Christmas shop at Knot's Berry Farm. Never actually visited the park, just ate pie at the cafe. I think the last time we were there, they were closing down that store. A shame.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
I've started putting up my Christmas lights today. They are all solar powered so I can light up every tree in the front garden with no fear of reproof.
I just realised this is the fifth Christmas this thread is going to see.
Is it traditional to put up lights that early here in Oz?

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
Are you Australian?

As far as Christmas decorations go, imagine trying to explain to your spouse who is totally unfamiliar with Orthodoxy that Christmas is actually to be celebrated from Christmas until Theophany; before that is fasting and repentance.  And then add on the Julian Calendar issue, which technically means no Christmas decorating or celebrating until January 7th.

Not that I insist on any of those things, but if I ever wanted to celebrate that way it would drive her nuts.  Last year was my first "Orthodox Christmas" on the Julian Calendar, and I have to admit that by the time we had the Nativity liturgy I was just totally worn out on Christmas in general.  I was just ready for the whole thing to be over, and then there it was again!

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Riddikulus said:
Are you Australian?
Not yet. I've only been here a couple of years.  ;D

As far as Christmas decorations go, imagine trying to explain to your spouse who is totally unfamiliar with Orthodoxy that Christmas is actually to be celebrated from Christmas until Theophany; before that is fasting and repentance.  And then add on the Julian Calendar issue, which technically means no Christmas decorating or celebrating until January 7th.

Not that I insist on any of those things, but if I ever wanted to celebrate that way it would drive her nuts.  Last year was my first "Orthodox Christmas" on the Julian Calendar, and I have to admit that by the time we had the Nativity liturgy I was just totally worn out on Christmas in general.  I was just ready for the whole thing to be over, and then there it was again!
:laugh:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
For the past 4 or 5 years we put up Christmas stuff sometime between mid-October and early-November. I think that's extremely abnormal, though, and most people probably wait until December to put up their stuff. We also used to keep stuff up till mid-January, but that was more because it was such a hassel to take everything down.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
For the past 4 or 5 years we put up Christmas stuff sometime between mid-October and early-November. I think that's extremely abnormal, though, and most people probably wait until December to put up their stuff. We also used to keep stuff up till mid-January, but that was more because it was such a hassel to take everything down.
:laugh: How true. There's always such excitement and anticipation in pulling all the stuff out of storage and arranging it around the house. Somehow, by the time the 12 days are over, and it's time to put it all away, the whole thing is suddenly very trying!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I hate Christmas creep.  I wish the attention on the day would be relegated to the Post-Thanksgiving period - instead, we've already had at least one NE Ohio radio station do their Christmas music flip already, with another one or two doing their flips this week.  Yikes.  Forget the stores: the Christmas merchandise gets there between June and September to be out on the shelves in October/November.

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
^ I remember a Dave Barry column once that said something like this:

Ah, the time of year when we go to the stores and we start seeing reindeer and fake snow, candy canes and mall Santas, and you know what that means--it means it's almost Halloween.

Yep, 'bout right. ;D

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Also on the subject of Christmas... I now have 95% of my Christmas buying and wrapping done. I actually did most of the Christmas shopping during the summer time, but apparently I still have to get one more present for my youngest daughter. I had thought that I had an equal amount of presents for both daughters for Christmas, but when I went to wrap the presents I realised that once I give presents to my youngest daughter for her Birthday (Dec. 8th), she'll have one less than her sister for Christmas. So now I have to go out and figure out yet another present to get... :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Congrats! Why the embarrassed/frowny face? So you post 8.696 times per day. So what? That doesn't mean that you won't have a real life... some day.  :p ;)