Random Postings

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Asteriktos said:
Congrats! Why the embarrassed/frowny face?
Thanks.  :)  I had made it into the top 10 posters until a certain Unitarian blew past me.  ;) :-\  ;)  Now I'll probably be stuck on being number 11 for a long time....

Asteriktos said:
So you post 8.696 times per day. So what? That doesn't mean that you won't have a real life... some day.  :p ;)
I recall when my average was 12 posts a day.  I try to make my posts more relevant.  :angel:

Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Asteriktos said:
Another Twilight movie is coming out. Was that really necessary?
No.  I wonder how many new Mormons have entered the faith due to the Twilight series?   ???
Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't seen the movie or read the books. Why would a movie about Vampires inspire interest in LDS?

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Also on the subject of Christmas... I now have 95% of my Christmas buying and wrapping done. I actually did most of the Christmas shopping during the summer time, but apparently I still have to get one more present for my youngest daughter. I had thought that I had an equal amount of presents for both daughters for Christmas, but when I went to wrap the presents I realised that once I give presents to my youngest daughter for her Birthday (Dec. 8th), she'll have one less than her sister for Christmas. So now I have to go out and figure out yet another present to get... :)
I would be really happy not dealing with any of the Christmas decorations or presents or anything this year and just going to Church on the feast. It's been such a bad year, and things at home are so rotten, I'm really not prepared to have a "Holly, Jolly, Christmas."  :-\

Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
When do you all put up Christmas decorations in the US? I remember being in California in October a few times and buying things for our tree in the Christmas shop at Knot's Berry Farm. Never actually visited the park, just ate pie at the cafe. I think the last time we were there, they were closing down that store. A shame.
When I was a kid my family would wait to put up our tree and decorations until Dec 15'ish so that the tree would last until Jan 7. (Our parish is Old Calendar.)

Many Americans start immediately after Thanksgiving (the 4th Thursday in Nov.) Some start earlier.  ::)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Some start earlier.   ::)
So I guess those people who leave up their christmas lights all year round aren't in your good graces?  ;D

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Asteriktos said:
Thanks.   I had made it into the top 10 posters until a certain Unitarian blew past me.  Now I'll probably be stuck on being number 11 for a long time....
Sorry! Maybe one of the top 10 posters will get banned, hehe... it's happened at least twice before. :)

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
So I guess those people who leave up their christmas lights all year round aren't in your good graces?  ;D
I guess it just seems like every year the push for Christmas starts earlier and earlier. My 90 y/o grandmother always laments that they start Christmas too early, and that we aren't to celebrate BEFORE the feast, but until after, and it should be a 12 day celebration. (She's always said that company's should shut down for the week after Christmas.)

When I was a kid I didn't understand this. As I get older, I now see what she means. This is how it is in the Church, but the outside world goofs it all up. I mean, it's only Nov 18 and some music stations are already playing Christmas music, and stores have had Christmas items out for a month.

It seems we start celebrating Christmas the first week of November, and then December 26 everything comes down. It's rather ridiculous if you ask me.

If this is what we do in November, how are we supposed to celebrate once the feast actually comes?

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
SolEX01 said:
Asteriktos said:
Thanks.   I had made it into the top 10 posters until a certain Unitarian blew past me.  Now I'll probably be stuck on being number 11 for a long time....
Sorry! Maybe one of the top 10 posters will get banned, hehe... it's happened at least twice before. :)
LOL, what happens, the board collectively says "We've had enough of you already!"?! j/k  ;D  :laugh:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
HandmaidenofGod said:
Asteriktos said:
SolEX01 said:
Asteriktos said:
LOL, what happens, the board collectively says "We've had enough of you already!"?! j/k  ;D  :laugh:
I think so, lol :)  I was thinking of TomS (3187 posts) and Matthew777 (3498 posts), both of whom, if memory serves, were in the Top 10 posters when they were banned.  Even now, 2 years after either of them has posted, they would both still be in the Top 25 posters (though for some odd reason Matthew777 doesn't show up in the member list and you have to search for his name using the search function). Interestingly, TomS made a return as SmoT, and lasted longer than I thought he would, and Matthew777 also returned under a new name, though I don't recall off the top of my head what it was. (I should also note that Matthew777 isn't banned anymore, as his profile says his status is warned).

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
HandmaidenofGod said:
Asteriktos said:
I guess it just seems like every year the push for Christmas starts earlier and earlier. My 90 y/o grandmother always laments that they start Christmas too early, and that we aren't to celebrate BEFORE the feast, but until after, and it should be a 12 day celebration. (She's always said that company's should shut down for the week after Christmas.)

When I was a kid I didn't understand this. As I get older, I now see what she means. This is how it is in the Church, but the outside world goofs it all up. I mean, it's only Nov 18 and some music stations are already playing Christmas music, and stores have had Christmas items out for a month.

It seems we start celebrating Christmas the first week of November, and then December 26 everything comes down. It's rather ridiculous if you ask me.

If this is what we do in November, how are we supposed to celebrate once the feast actually comes?
I can understand what you're saying. I guess for my part, I've never had a regular schedule or order for Christmas, so it's never bothered me when things would start early. In my own case, I usually don't have a lot of money, so I have to start saving for Christmas in the late Spring or early Summer if I'm going to get presents for my family and extended family. I don't have a credit card because I figured student loans and whatnot was enough debt to worry about, so I can't just charge up a bunch of stuff come December and pay for it later. This year was a bit different, though, as I came into a bit of money this summer, so I just went ahead and did all my Christmas shopping in peace then and there, rather than waiting till the hectic holiday season. After all, my daughters won't care that I bought them a doll house and whatever else in July rather than waiting till December.

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I can understand what you're saying. I guess for my part, I've never had a regular schedule or order for Christmas, so it's never bothered me when things would start early. In my own case, I usually don't have a lot of money, so I have to start saving for Christmas in the late Spring or early Summer if I'm going to get presents for my family and extended family. I don't have a credit card because I figured student loans and whatnot was enough debt to worry about, so I can't just charge up a bunch of stuff come December and pay for it later. This year was a bit different, though, as I came into a bit of money this summer, so I just went ahead and did all my Christmas shopping in peace then and there, rather than waiting till the hectic holiday season. After all, my daughters won't care that I bought them a doll house and whatever else in July rather than waiting till December.
This is definitely smart thinking and makes economic sense. I had a neighbor growing up who was a single mom on a limited budget. She would start putting stuff on K-Mart lay-away in June so that in September it would be paid off, and she would have her shopping done.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
SolEX01 said:
Asteriktos said:
Hey, I've been in the Top 10 Posters a few times and they haven't banned *me* yet.  Of course, what with computer troubles and a couple of people going into power-posting mode, I've been passed again.  tsk-tsk. 

;)

Ebor

P.S.  If you're the "Token Non-Orthodox Poster", what am I?  chopped liver?    ;) :D

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
HandmaidenofGod said:
SolEX01 said:
Asteriktos said:
Another Twilight movie is coming out. Was that really necessary?
No.  I wonder how many new Mormons have entered the faith due to the Twilight series?   ???
Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't seen the movie or read the books. Why would a movie about Vampires inspire interest in LDS?
Because the author, Stephanie Meyer, is a Mormon who apparently "saw" the Twilight Series in a vision.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Ebor said:
Asteriktos said:
SolEX01 said:
Asteriktos said:
Hey, I've been in the Top 10 Posters a few times and they haven't banned *me* yet.  Of course, what with computer troubles and a couple of people going into power-posting mode, I've been passed again.  tsk-tsk. 
Ebor, when it comes to rankings, I'm the permanent #11 and you're the permanent #12.  :D

To think my first post on this board dealt with C.S. Lewis, which I have yet to read.  :-X