Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,837
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
ozgeorge said:
(sqrt(1/2(x+sqrt(x^2+y^2))) + i(sqrt(1/2(-x+sqrt(x^2+y^2)))))^2
=-(sqrt(1/2(x+sqrt(x^2+y^2))) + i(sqrt(1/2(-x+sqrt(x^2+y^2)))))^2
= x+iy
Afire, I tell you.  Truly afire.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,837
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
minasoliman said:
SolEX01 said:
minasoliman said:
SolEX01 said:
At the stroke of Midnight on New Year's Day, I write 1/1/<new year> as many times as necessary so I won't write the wrong date.  Has worked fine for the last couple of years.  ;)
You know what would be cool, is that the New Year's after next, we can write: 1/1/11.  That would be fun to write many times.
1|1|11 - aren't we glad we use slashes rather than vertical bars.  ;)
haha...and some prefer dashes
Vertical bars should be the standard.

1/1/11 = .0909090909090909090909
1-1-11 = -11
1|1|11 = The date almost 13 months from now.
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Fr. George said:
minasoliman said:
SolEX01 said:
minasoliman said:
SolEX01 said:
At the stroke of Midnight on New Year's Day, I write 1/1/<new year> as many times as necessary so I won't write the wrong date.  Has worked fine for the last couple of years.   ;)
You know what would be cool, is that the New Year's after next, we can write: 1/1/11.  That would be fun to write many times.
1|1|11 - aren't we glad we use slashes rather than vertical bars.   ;)
haha...and some prefer dashes
Vertical bars should be the standard.

1/1/11 = .0909090909090909090909
1-1-11 = -11
1|1|11 = The date almost 13 months from now.
I think it might be more customary to solve 1/1/11 as 11. ;)
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
HandmaidenofGod said:
GiC said:
PeterTheAleut said:
SolEX01 said:
Oooh, Post #5,005, a palindrome.   ;)
I guess it's too late now, unless I want to delete on of my posts, but the number of the post I submitted immediately before this was not only a palindrome, but also a unique repetition of one digit.  Without the comma separator, it could even pass as a binary number.

11,111

;D
And a great indicator of poor time management skills, of which many of us are guilty. ;)
I need to borrow your math brain tomorrow morning for my exam. Mind sharing? :p
I'll try to upload it to bit torrent for you. ;D Then again, as of late you might want to give Ozgeorge's brain a try. ;)
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,837
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
GiC said:
I think it might be more customary to solve 1/1/11 as 11. ;)
If you assume that it is one operation, instead of a series.  Remember, left to right for the same operation.
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Fr. George said:
GiC said:
I think it might be more customary to solve 1/1/11 as 11. ;)
If you assume that it is one operation, instead of a series.  Remember, left to right for the same operation.
Except with division you generally go from bottom to top and what you have is simply the text form of:

 1  
----
 1  
----
11

And hence why I prefer post-fix over in-fix notation, with:

1 1 11 / / = 11

there would be no question, or as you're interpreting the infix notation:
                 __
1 1 / 11 / = .09

Prefix works good to, it's great for Abstract algebra, but a bit difficult for practical use:

/(1,/(1,11)) = 11

or
                    __
/(/(1,1),11) = .09
 

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
20,198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NJ
I used to have an awesome math brain, and then it atrophied  :'(
 

Papist

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
13,771
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
minasoliman said:
I used to have an awesome math brain, and then it atrophied  :'(
I fear that by teaching only high school math I will eventually lose all of my higher math skills that I developed in college.
:(
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,837
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Papist said:
minasoliman said:
I used to have an awesome math brain, and then it atrophied  :'(
I fear that by teaching only high school math I will eventually lose all of my higher math skills that I developed in college.
:(
Use it or lose it!
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
SolEX01 said:
There's nothing like Reverse Polish Notation.  How foolish for HP to discontinue their calculators.

Now RPN is available as an iPhone app.  Progress....
Ummm...you can still get HP RNP Calculators

The Graphing Model (HP 50g):

http://www.amazon.com/50g-Graphing-Calculator-F2229AA-ABA/dp/B000GTPRPS

The Scientific Model (HP 33s)

http://www.amazon.com/HP-33S-Scientific-Calculator-F2216A/dp/B0000DK6G9/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1259954032&sr=1-11

Unfortunately they got rid of their classical buttons, guess it didn't make the calculators look modern enough, I'm really not fond of the 33s' buttons and miss my old HP48gx with expansion card slots, which broke. But the 50g is an overall better calculator, minus the buttons.

I have an HP48gx programme for my Windows Mobile phone, no equivalent iPhone version?

On another note, I get my new Droid today!!!
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,837
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Alveus Lacuna said:
I am playing on here instead of writing my term paper.
Well, you could ask questions that can help you with the term paper (sources, ideas, etc.).
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,747
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
GiC said:
SolEX01 said:
There's nothing like Reverse Polish Notation.  How foolish for HP to discontinue their calculators.

Now RPN is available as an iPhone app.  Progress....
Ummm...you can still get HP RNP Calculators....
Yeah, I have seen the HP 50g at local stores with SD card capability.  I haven't seen the HP 33s around.

A friend in college also had the HP 48GX.  I liked that calculator even though it cost $300 in the early 1990s.

GiC said:
I have an HP48gx programme for my Windows Mobile phone, no equivalent iPhone version?
Here?

GiC said:
On another note, I get my new Droid today!!!
Congratulations.  :)
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,837
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
SolEX01 said:
Is it too early to start the countdown to 7,000 posts for this thread?  8)
Never!  We've had single days where this thread has gotten over 100 posts...
 
Top