Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with +SERB1389's cry of ACCIDENT for the Holy Synod, and I believe that we should decide together on the following issues (point-by-point, to make it easier):

1. Do we define subliminal drinking as the act of receiving alchohol into the system without cognitive recognition of the fact by the recipient, thus bypassing voluntary control of the drinking act, the sensations of taste, but instead resulting only in the after-effects of the drinking act, i.e. the effects of alchohol on the body?

2. Do we uphold the "drinking act" - the physical raising of the cup, acknowledgement of one's company, the occasional toast, and the physical bringing of the cup to mouth to imbibe, with the effects of tasting the beer and increasing camaraderie - as being integral to the drinking experience?

3. If we agree upon two, then do we anathematize all acts which bypass the "drinking act" as being against the very fiber of our standard of morality?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I actually agree with all three (of course, I wrote them).

So far, for each point:

1. agree: +GEORGE, +SERB1389;

2. agree: +GEORGE, +SERB1389;

3. agree (anathema): +GEORGE;

Let's see what others have to say on the matter!

+GEORGE
Metropolitan of Metaxa and All Brandy, Patriarch of All Fruit-Based Alchohols, Ecumenical Patriarch
Chief Secretariat

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Let's not act so hastily on matters of which we know so little. Let us, as a precautionary measure, ban subliminal drinking until such time as one can appear before the Synod, and present unto us this act of subliminal drinking, so that we may better understand it. And only then, once familiar with its workings, should we rule ultimately whether to accept subliminal drinkers into our fold, or to banish them to the pit of eternal sobriety, where the Great Distiller shall walk never more.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder though, maybe we should ask for a formal description of subliminal drinking from said practisioner before they demonstrate before us; I would hate for one of our company to be under some demonic or sobriac incantation before we knew what was going on!

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
I'm much more of a Cyril of Alexandria guy myself.  Take them out while they're not here...haha. 

No seriously though, I bow to the wisdom of the Ecumenical throne.  GiC is right, we should wait until someone can defend themeselves....you ecumenical sell-outs.  haha. 

And I'm all for the Anathema!  (just so you know +George)

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm, perhaps an example would be in order. But as long as alcohol is involved in the subliminal drinking process, I do not see how sobriety could come of it. Though perhaps as a percaution we should observe the demonstration while drinking, so that by that sacramental act we could be protected and preserved from the evils of sobriety, temprance, and prohibition; if indeed those are the intent of the practitioners of subliminal drinking.

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
I don't think any alcohol is involved in the process.  How can something that is substantial be considered "subliminal" it is clearly a contradiction in terms.  Therefore, one is led to believe that the subliminal drinking is something other than the true consumption of true alcohol, yet produces the same side-effects.  This is my understanding...

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The effects of Alcohol without Alcohol? Isn't that called insanity?

If indeed it is more than that, we await a description followed by a demonstration of this strange occurrence.

Meekle

Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.xanga.com
Here's what I understand it to be: The person, is fully aware of the the alcochol, and the consumption of it, it has all the same effects, but... they are only aware of it during the fact, but somehow are caused to forget that they did, and it becomes a mere dream, thus makinging them feel the need for more alchol, which how can that be a bad thing?  ;D

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know if I would agree with forgetting the experience immediately after it happens; and I need no help in craving more....

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
But I think there is something to be said for enjoying the experience of having the pint, of consciously partaking of it... I don't think I would like the experience of one minute full, next empty.  I would definitely need to see this demonstrated before deciding (although I am leaning towards rejection of the concept).

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
sdcheung said:
as in One minute you have a full Pint, and the other minute your Pint is empty?
Without the experience of drinking it? Hmmmm, sounds like hell.

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Meekle said:
I think you are all missing the fact that you do indeed experience it.  :p
I think the synod needs a demonstration, this does seem to be quite a break from the traditional methods for the consuming of alcohol. I fear I need to see and experience this subliminal drinking before releasing it on unsuspecting alcoholics everywhere. Until such time I present to the Synod for voting a moratorium on subliminal drinking.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Meekle said:
I think you are all missing the fact that you do indeed experience it.  :p
What are you experiencing?  The idea as posed before was that, one second the pint is full, next it is empty; this makes it sound as though one does not get to relish the taste of the beer, since one did not notice that they had drank it!