greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
GiC said:
SolEX01 said:
< snip >

If anyone needs this expanded analysis for anything else, send a PM.   :)
Why did you make use of the commutativity property of the identity element in addition? Such an action made your computation unnecessarily specific to a sub-field of algebra and negated the usefulness of the procedure for vectors, matrices, and integration with analysis. ;)
OK, can you solve the same problem with tensors, manifolds, elliptical functions, Legendre Polynomials and directional derivatives and make it easy for laypeople to understand?   ;)
Should be doable with number theory and ring theory...you may be able to use group theory instead of ring theory, leading to a more generalized solution, but I'm not 100% certain, I'd have to look at the problem closer.

We could get rid of algebra altogether and use graph theory, of course, but the real question is whether we could dispense with number theory, the Queen of Mathematics? Perhaps an approach using set theory would work.

What do you think 'laypeople' would find easier? Algebra was never very intuitive for me, maybe the use of number theory and graph theory, minimizing with an epsilon-delta argument from analysis?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We should start a Mathematics thread.  With the intense and frequent contributions of a few people, it would be 1,000+ post material in less that 6 months.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
GiC said:
What do you think 'laypeople' would find easier? Algebra was never very intuitive for me, maybe the use of number theory and graph theory, minimizing with an epsilon-delta argument from analysis?
The problem has now become a time dynamic random epsilon-delta argument.  :)

I never had problems with Math until I ran into a Graduate level Partial Differential Equations class which ate me alive.  After that, I stuck with 400 Level Linear Algebra classes since I found orthogonal bases a lot easier to process than Poisson's Equation.

Reaction score
I'm so happy! A Ukrainian woman at Church has graciously offered to tutor me to help me pass my Algebra final!

She has her degree in mathematics from the University of Kiev, and is an amazing tutor!

I might just pass this thing yet! :)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Did you all know that there's a week long Klingon camp in Minnesota every summer?  fantastic I tell you. 
You should be drawn to it... The Klingons have almost as developed a knife tradition as the Serbs! ;)

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Fr. George said:
serb1389 said:
Did you all know that there's a week long Klingon camp in Minnesota every summer?  fantastic I tell you. 
You should be drawn to it... The Klingons have almost as developed a knife tradition as the Serbs! ;)
Yah they also do hand to hand combat as a means of romance with their mates...

....well....maybe its not so different after all... ;) ;)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Fr. George said:
serb1389 said:
Yah they also do hand to hand combat as a means of romance with their mates...

....well....maybe its not so different after all... ;) ;)
LOL.  Kindred spirits.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
"Cleave" is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and separate.
I know.  Pretty cool, huh? :)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
"Cleave" is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and separate.
I haven't thought of it in the disjointed way before (only "cleave is the only word I know that can mean opposite things").

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
ozgeorge said:
I haven't thought of it in the disjointed way before (only "cleave is the only word I know that can mean opposite things").
On the other end of the spectrum, you have two opposite phrases that mean the same thing: "fat chance" and "slim chance".

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Fr. George said:
ozgeorge said:
On the other end of the spectrum, you have two opposite phrases that mean the same thing: "fat chance" and "slim chance".
Maybe they can get together and create a "physically fit chance."

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
"And I took the butcher knife, and put it up to her neck. I said 'If you want to live to see tomorrow, you better start fryin them eggs a little bit better than what you are fryin them. I'm tired of eatin sloppy, slimy eggs.'"

Anyone know what movie this quote is from? It's used as a sample in a song I listen to (Hail to Fire by Mastodon), and I was just curious as to it's origin.

Nevermind. I forgot the first rule of the modern age. Always check wiki first!

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
"And I took the butcher knife, and put it up to her neck. I said 'If you want to live to see tomorrow, you better start fryin them eggs a little bit better than what you are fryin them. I'm tired of eatin sloppy, slimy eggs.'"

Anyone know what movie this quote is from? It's used as a sample in a song I listen to (Hail to Fire by Mastodon), and I was just curious as to it's origin.

Nevermind. I forgot the first rule of the modern age. Always check wiki first!
^ LOL - I just googled and found it, too! I've never heard of the film, though.