serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Fr. George said:
Wow.  At the current pace, we'll have 400k in the wee hours of the morning on the 27th.  Likely, this will change, as further posting today will continue to push the daily rate for January up, pushing the projection into mid-day on the 26th.

More to come.
please keep us updated. We all await with great anticipation

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
^ Oh, I shall.  This isn't the first time I've counted posts down to a milestone on here... ;)

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Well, imagine the worst headache you've had. Then make it so light makes it hurt worse. And sound makes it hurt worse. And movement makes it hurt worse. So... you're left to lay in bed motionless, in the dark, in silence, with the only thing you can do is think about how much your head hurts.  I'm glad that I haven't had one in a very long time! I once got one after a night of playing 007:Goldeneye with friends. I couldn't get the images of gunfire and exploding proximity mines out of my head. Not pleasant. :'( 8)
In medical terminology, when we hear someone say "worst headache of my life," the first thing that pops in our heads is subarachnoid hemorrhage.  But of course, not everyone's "worst headache" is that.  It's just the same as if someone comes into ER with chest pain, and we all start to be cautious about a heart attack.

I personally get mild migraines, throbbing and pulsating one sided headaches, especially when I am hypertensive, or if I grind my teeth when stressed.  Also, I don't get flairs, but when someone showed me a youtube video of a flair, I had a pretty bad headache.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
I've just invented Australian Steelcap Safteyboots.
Ha!  ;D

So riddle me this, creative one, why is it that I have 101 things to do around here, but am bored to tears?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
In medical terminology, when we hear someone say "worst headache of my life," the first thing that pops in our heads is subarachnoid hemorrhage.  But of course, not everyone's "worst headache" is that.  It's just the same as if someone comes into ER with chest pain, and we all start to be cautious about a heart attack.

I personally get mild migraines, throbbing and pulsating one sided headaches, especially when I am hypertensive, or if I grind my teeth when stressed.  Also, I don't get flairs, but when someone showed me a youtube video of a flair, I had a pretty bad headache.
Had to look up the "subarachnoid" part. You people and your medical jargon  :p

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
So the headache I had last night was bad but the funny thing is that it started to reduce in severity the moment I left my classroom. I forced myself to go to the gym and it cleared up completely while i was working out.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Really? Well that's good. :) But I must be a wuss then, because when I get a headache I don't want to do anything but sit still and wait for it to pass.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Really? Well that's good. :) But I must be a wuss then, because when I get a headache I don't want to do anything but sit still and wait for it to pass.
I had initially planned on going home and going to bed but I have become a bit of a gym junky (I go twice a day) and so i just kept up my routine. Its awesome how it just disappeared while working out. It leads me to believe that it may have just been a tension headache.

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Papist said:
Asteriktos said:
I had initially planned on going home and going to bed but I have become a bit of a gym junky (I go twice a day) and so i just kept up my routine. Its awesome how it just disappeared while working out. It leads me to believe that it may have just been a tension headache.
How do you get motivated, and set aside time for working out?  I'm having a tough time getting started.  I know I have to get dedicated but I just can't do it...

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
Asteriktos said:
How do you get motivated, and set aside time for working out?  I'm having a tough time getting started.  I know I have to get dedicated but I just can't do it...
This is a really good question but I have to admitt that there is no silver bullet. Here are some things that have helped me to keep going at the gym:
1. I Actually write a particular time into my dailer planner for working out each day.
2. Get a work out buddy to help keep you accountable. I workout with another teacher from School who is in amazing shape and she actually trains me to some degree.
3. Plan your work outs. This means determinig ahead of time what exercises you will do. I find that by planning my workouts I become invested in it because I have already put effort into it ahead of time.
4. Don't be down on yourself if on some days you don't have time for a full workout. Every little bit counts.
5. Don't make unreasonable goals. I don't plan on becoming He-Man in six months. Rather I have a general goal of staying healthy, gaining weight, and building muscle mass.
6. Talk to some one who knows what they are doing so that your workout actually brings results.
7. Learn to enjoy your work out. I have actually gotten the point where I find my work out reduces stress and makes me feel better so I rather enjoy it. It may take time to get to that mindset, but once  you do, its a BIG help.
8. Reward  yourself. I choose one day a week where I can eat whatever I want (within reason, I mean, don't become a glutton).
9. Believe that you deserve to work out. Its not a punishment. I tell myself everyday that I deserve to be in shape and keep healthy so I owe it to my self to do so.
10. Give yourself a day or two off every week. If you work out seven days a week, you will becom over-trained and you will not feel well nor workout well. You need at least one day each week for your muscles to rest both from cario and weight training. So on your days off from the gym, NO WORKING OUT.
11. I find that it also helps in developing Christian virtue. I know that keeping a steady work out plan creates discipline and this discipline can be applied to my spiritual life. So in a sense I offer my workout to God.

So there it is. These are all things that help me but, again there is no silver bullet.

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Papist said:
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
Asteriktos said:
How do you get motivated, and set aside time for working out?  I'm having a tough time getting started.  I know I have to get dedicated but I just can't do it...
7. Learn to enjoy your work out. I have actually gotten the point where I find my work out reduces stress and makes me feel better so I rather enjoy it. It may take time to get to that mindset, but once  you do, its a BIG help.
8. Reward  yourself. I choose one day a week where I can eat whatever I want (within reason, I mean, don't become a glutton).
These are the killers for me.  I've never learned to enjoy my workout.  Especially if it's just lifting weights and running.  if it's a sport that I could play regularly, I think that would make a huge difference for me.

Diet is the other killer.  I have NO idea where to start.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
Asteriktos said:
These are the killers for me.  I've never learned to enjoy my workout.  Especially if it's just lifting weights and running.  if it's a sport that I could play regularly, I think that would make a huge difference for me.

Well you might want to start with a sport you enjoy rather than going to the gym. There often city leauges and beginner leagues for many different sports. My sister has not played sports in years, but she is starting at an indoor soccer league this evening.

As for you diet, what are you trying to do? Lose weight? Gain weight?

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Papist said:
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
Asteriktos said:

Well you might want to start with a sport you enjoy rather than going to the gym. There often city leauges and beginner leagues for many different sports. My sister has not played sports in years, but she is starting at an indoor soccer league this evening.

You have OBVIOUSLY never gone to seminary...lol.  I'm trying to LOSE LOSE LOSE some weight.  I'm not terribly overweight, maybe 20 lbs over my "normal" area.  But i'd like to lose about 40 lbs.  I know exercise is key, plus i'd like to make it up the stairs without dying.  lol. 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I wasn't home part of the night, so I DVR'd the Penguins/Capitals game, so I could watch it in it's entirety. Then, like an idiot, I went to my internet home page, which has news headlines from two Pittsburgh papers... and of course I happen to glance over it and see the final score (and worse still, the Pens lost). What's the point of watching the game now? :mad:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
This girl is 5 years old and plays Bach on the piano. My daughter is almost 5 and plays with play doh.  :-[

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
Asteriktos said:

You have OBVIOUSLY never gone to seminary...lol.  I'm trying to LOSE LOSE LOSE some weight.  I'm not terribly overweight, maybe 20 lbs over my "normal" area.  But i'd like to lose about 40 lbs.  I know exercise is key, plus i'd like to make it up the stairs without dying.  lol. 
I suggest eating about 1500 calories a day, unless you are a really big guy by nature, then I would suggest about 1800 to 2000 calories. Breakfast foods can include low fat milk, cottage cheese made from skim milk, fruit, whole weat toast, one full egg and one egg white. So some combination of foods like this woulld be good. Breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day. Lunches can include sandwiches with whole weat bread and low fat meat, fruit, salads (with low fat dressing), hamburgers made with 96% lean beef, vegetables, etc. etc. etc. Dinner should be your smallest meal and should consiste of low fat foods. The cool thing about low fat foods is that if you season them properly they are just as good as regurlar foods. Eat lots and lots of vegetables and eat the biggest portion of your carbs in the morning and reduce it throughout the day so that you are eating very few carbs at dinner. Oh, and any meat you buy, be sure to cut away the fat before cooking. One last thing, eat a few very healhty snacks throughout the day to keep your metabolism going.
Try not to think of your  new diet as a punishment or drudgery but think of it as just enjoying different foods that make you feel better.
Can you eat these kinds of foods at the seminary?

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
serb1389 said:
Papist said:
Asteriktos said:

I just noticed that you are form the diocese of San Francisco. My best friend is a Friar out in that area. He did his noviatate year in San Francisco and now is living in Oakland and going to a Dominican Seminary.