• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
LBK said:
Cyrillic said:
augustin717 said:
another dreary day at work. i wish i could just go to sleep.
What's stopping you?
The thought of being fired.
When I was a teenager I grew my hair long so that I could fall asleep in class without being detected. I'm not sure how much it worked and how much of it was just my teachers not caring, but you should give it a shot at work!  ;D

Fr.Aidan

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.sarisburium.blogspot.com
#1 best thing to do when your supervisor catches you asleep over your computer keyboard on the job at work: slowly lift yourself up, say, "Amen," then look at your supervisor and ask what he/she might need.

Oh, and Asteriktos has just figured out why monks and priests went to long hair a few hundred years ago!  :D

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
A friend of mine had an uncle who was a Pentecostal minister. People thought he regularly went into spiritual trances. Turns out he was just an undiagnosed narcoleptic.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
My dad has said I can smoke one of his cigars now that I'm 18, I haven't really gotten around to it though (and maybe I shouldn't).

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
William said:
My dad has said I can smoke one of his cigars now that I'm 18, I haven't really gotten around to it though (and maybe I shouldn't).
I think I was 23 when I had my first cigar. As for cigarettes probably 10. Remember smoking for a few summers/falls between 10-14 with some slightly older friends .

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
William said:
If you do, go slow. Just take two or three slow puffs, and then put it out. If you're not used to smoking cigars you will probably get sick if you try to smoke the whole thing your first time. Even if you don't inhale, cigars are powerful man. Ease into it.

Selam

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
William said:
If you do, go slow. Just take two or three slow puffs, and then put it out. If you're not used to smoking cigars you will probably get sick if you try to smoke the whole thing your first time. Even if you don't inhale, cigars are powerful man. Ease into it.

Selam
Absolutely!  I have smoked some pretty strong cigars in my time, but once I had an evil stogie.  I was about half way through when it really started to get to me.  I felt horrible and I was a regular smoker of fine cigars at the time.  I stopped smoking the demonic weed.  I think it was designed to kill people with a weak disposition.  :D

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Today I had English oral exams. Mean British people asked me all sorts of weird questions.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Today I had English oral exams. Mean British people asked me all sorts of weird questions.
Those evil britons  :D

It reminds me of one year, when those who had german exams where being examined by some germans who visited the school, instead of their teachers. They where asked questions like "What does humanity mean to you"?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Ansgar said:
It reminds me of one year, when those who had german exams where being examined by some germans who visited the school, instead of their teachers. They where asked questions like "What does humanity mean to you"?
I feel their pain.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
one of my favourite parts about Great Lent, are the black vestments.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ansgar said:
Hey, they were probably genuinely trying to find an answer.

//:=)

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Ansgar said:

If they want answers to philosophical questions from danish teenagers, asking them in german isn't a the brighest idea.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
TheMathematician said:
one of my favourite parts about Great Lent, are the black vestments.
I was surprised the first time I saw that. Guess I like bright colors... but I understand why they have to wear the black.  :)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Enjoying a double measure of Bailey's right now, my last hard drink until Easter, but entirely suitable to the day. Slainte!

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Enjoying a double measure of Bailey's right now, my last hard drink until Easter, but entirely suitable to the day. Slainte!
Isn't liquor lenten?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Ansgar said:

An idea of Germans trying to find humanity sounds really, really scary.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Cyrillic said:
Arachne said:
Isn't liquor lenten?
Hmmm... interesting. I am not sure. Maybe one of the priests or deacons here will know.  :)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Arachne said:
Isn't liquor lenten?
Irish Cream certainly isn't. ;) And hard liquor on a less-than-fully fat-insulated stomach is asking for trouble.

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Spent the day with the wife and it was not a weekend.  So far, the new position is working out pretty well.  I hope it stays this way.

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
So, is the new color pink or purple?  It is difficult to tell, perhaps a rose-ish color.  I even had my kids look and they didn't agree.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Kerdy said:
So, is the new color pink or purple?  It is difficult to tell, perhaps a rose-ish color.  I even had my kids look and they didn't agree.
I'd say purple, though a) the graduated effect can confuse things, and b) a lot can depend on monitor settings. Either way, it's cool. :)

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Kerdy said:
Hard to tell; I got a bulging migraine, and thus, my perception of color is slightly off.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Now, I have waited for years for the Simpsons to do something about the Orthodox Church, and when they finally do, it only lasts about 5 seconds!

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ansgar said:
Now, I have waited for years for the Simpsons to do something about the Orthodox Church, and when they finally do, it only lasts about 5 seconds!
In the post 1998? Simpsons, that is a long, long time. They have to keep down with the even hackier Family Guy and other garbage.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Ansgar said:
What episode was that? And what was done about Orthodoxy?

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
That person said:
Ansgar said:
What episode was that? And what was done about Orthodoxy?
Dark Knight Court.
http://wtso.net/movie/544-2416_Dark_Knight_Court.html

There's an Easter scene in the beginning, where you can see a bishop holding a sign, saying "This is our Palm Sunday".