• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Ansgar said:
Cyrillic said:
Arachne said:
Cyrillic said:
After three long years my classical music collection is finally nearing completion.
A particular series, I assume?
Nope, like the honeybee I collected the good material from everywhere and brought it together.
Anything by Chopin?
Chopin is kinda depressing, but yes, he's in there too.
Really? I have always found Chopin to be so relaxing.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I was ominously asked by a customs officer, last week, if I read books about the Gulag and Stalin "a bad person, you know."

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
[quote author=Conversation from yesterday]
Me: You're late for work.
Employee: You don't understand sir, God called me to save a baby turtle!
Me: What?
Employee: I was just driving down the road and all of a sudden this turtle came out of nowhere, it was defenseless so I put it in my car.
Me: What did you do then?
Employee: Well I was planning on letting it go over by a ditch, but when I opened my door, it was gone!  I think it escaped.
Me: From your car?
Employee: Yep.
Me: ::) Whatever man ::).
[/quote]

[quote author=Conversation from today]
Employee: [Strolls into parking lot in new car].
Me: I see you got a new car.
Employee: Yep, it's my mom's.
Me: Why?
Employee: Remember that baby turtle I told you about yesterday?
Me: Yeah.
Employee: Turns out it didn't escape.
[/quote]

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
What's the best medium to large sized dog for a lazy, inexperienced apartment-living owner like me? I was thinking a greyhound, but other recommendations would be nice too.

ambatzoglou

Reaction score
JamesR said:
What's the best medium to large sized dog for a lazy, inexperienced apartment-living owner like me? I was thinking a greyhound, but other recommendations would be nice too.
Basset hound. They're medium sized, just short legs. Greyhounds might be much too energetic for apartment living. Bassets puppies have (in my experience) 20 minutes of hard play in 'em a day, the rest is chilling out or sleeping.

ambatzoglou

Reaction score
Or rescue an already housebroken, lazy old mutt from the shelter. Our best dogs were rescues.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
ambatzoglou said:
JamesR said:
Basset hound. They're medium sized, just short legs. Greyhounds might be much too energetic for apartment living. Bassets puppies have (in my experience) 20 minutes of hard play in 'em a day, the rest is chilling out or sleeping.
Actually greyhounds are some of the laziest dogs around. They are literal couch potatoes. They do nothing but are very calm, loving dogs. Depending on the size, they might be a bit big for a cramped apartment, but they won't be hyperactive. It is necessary that they recieve regular walks, however.

Jason.Wike

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
JamesR said:
I really can't recommend any dog to live in an apartment. Every dog should have its own yard.

ambatzoglou

Reaction score
Antonis said:
ambatzoglou said:
JamesR said:
Actually greyhounds are some of the laziest dogs around. They are literal couch potatoes. They do nothing but are very calm, loving dogs. Depending on the size, they might be a bit big for a cramped apartment, but they won't be hyperactive. It is necessary that they recieve regular walks, however.
Oh wow, I had no idea. The only greyhounds I've ever been around were at a lake near where I grew up. I guess since their owners were playing with them and they were exercising I thought they were high energy all of the time. Thanks for the correction.

I'm pretty sure there are a metric ton of greyhounds that need to be adopted. Every vet office I have ever been in has had fliers for retired racing dogs. 

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Stuffed

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Bulldogs tend to be pretty lazy and low-maintenance.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
We do have one Chinese poster. Perhaps he could tell us. I've always wanted to eat a labrador retriever.

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Antonis said:
ambatzoglou said:
JamesR said:
Absolutely. Lurchers, whippets and the like are all the same too. If a greyhound is too big, a lurcher might be more suitable - they vary in size quite a lot depending on what the other half of the cross is but many are smaller than greyhounds. Ours is about half way between a greyhound and whippet in size and otherwise looks pretty much like a pure breed greyhound (but as they're crosses of course the looks vary also). They need regular but comparatively short walks (they want bursts of speed not great long rambles) and most of the rest of the time they sleep. They're great with kids, placid and very quiet (if ours barks more than once in a week she's being noisy).

James

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All stocked up on summer infusions. Tasty, tasty rehydration. ;D

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Happy birthday to me! I am 40 years in Earth-time, like a bottle of good whiskey. ;)

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Happy birthday to me! I am 40 years in Earth-time, like a bottle of good whiskey. ;)
Hope you'll treat yourself to a bottle of good whiskey on the occasion. Happy birthday and many more.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
augustin717 said:
biro said:
Hope you'll treat yourself to a bottle of good whiskey on the occasion. Happy birthday and many more.
Thank you!

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
biro said:
augustin717 said:
biro said:
Thank you!
Many more bottles ≠ many more years...

Happy birthday! And many years to you!  :)

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
ambatzoglou said:
Antonis said:
ambatzoglou said:
JamesR said:
Oh wow, I had no idea. The only greyhounds I've ever been around were at a lake near where I grew up. I guess since their owners were playing with them and they were exercising I thought they were high energy all of the time. Thanks for the correction.

I'm pretty sure there are a metric ton of greyhounds that need to be adopted. Every vet office I have ever been in has had fliers for retired racing dogs. 
Yea, when I take mine for walks I let him go in fields (generally not a good idea for a greyhound if the area isn't contained, but he is an exception) and he lets out all his energy running like crazy. That's probably what you saw, and in that case yes, they would most certainly look EXTREMELY hyperactive.  :D

And yes, there are plenty of greyhounds that need adopting. I know of several prison programs where prisoners train the dogs to acclimate them to domestic life and train them, that is where I got mine. They are wonderful pets.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
That person said:
JamesR said:
English? But don't they always need to visit the veterinarian because they have so many health problems?

ambatzoglou

Reaction score
JamesR said:
That person said:
JamesR said:
English? But don't they always need to visit the veterinarian because they have so many health problems?
If your area gets particularly hot and/or humid, I would not recommend a bulldog. They don't do well with the heat, it really aggravates their breathing problems. I'd love a bulldog, but our 110+ degree summers make me refrain.

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
biro said:
here's your cake

here's your whiskey (don't drink it on a fast day... Unless you're Russian :p)

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Here is a better whisky.

After all, it is your birthday.  Internet splurge!

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A good haircut can do wonders for one's mood. :)

/relief