Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,862
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Panagiotis said:
*screams
*waves arms maniacally
*runs into wall

Kyrie ELeison,
Panagiotis
Would this be considered some form of self-flagellation?  If so, does that mean you're following a medieval catholic spiritual/monastic practice?

Zoe - Amen.
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Zoe,

Have you SEEN some of the doctoral programs out there? 

You could get a doctorate for nose-picking. 

In fact a couple of guys got a doctrate for figuring out the mathematic possibility of how many times you can tie a tie (full length, not bow tie). 

Yah...you can tie a tie 85 different times according to Mathematics...and get a doctorate. 

At least it was math... ;)
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,862
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Oh, I need a link to that story!  I used to have to wear ties every day (and I enjoy the fact that I don't anymore!)...
 

Zoe

Elder
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Campbell, Ohio
Yes, you've switched to the long black evening gown look ;P

I'm taking a travel course next semester with this guy and we're going to Greece at the end of May.  How am I going to be on a plane with him for 9 hours?  He's great when he doesn't talk about Church history.  Ironically, he teaches in the Religion & Philosophy dept.  Wow.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,862
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Eh - the trip to Greece is long; sedatives and eye-shades (you know, for sleeping)...

There are some excellent places to visit in Athens... and I'm sure serbski will let you know the best places to find shlivo there, too!
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
cleveland said:
Would this be considered some form of self-flagellation?  If so, does that mean you're following a medieval catholic spiritual/monastic practice?

Zoe - Amen.
I have always found it interesting how the Latins equate masochism with spirituality.
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
serb1389 said:
Zoe,

Have you SEEN some of the doctoral programs out there? 

You could get a doctorate for nose-picking. 

In fact a couple of guys got a doctrate for figuring out the mathematic possibility of how many times you can tie a tie (full length, not bow tie). 

Yah...you can tie a tie 85 different times according to Mathematics...and get a doctorate. 

At least it was math... ;)
One guy I heard of got a Ph.D. in physics for a dissertation on getting Heinz Ketchup out of the bottle.
 

Ebor

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
6,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
64
Location
Maryland
"Shake and shake the Ketchup bottle.
    First comes none, and then a lot'le."

(I don't know who came up with that.  I just heard it a good while ago."

Ebor
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,862
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
greekischristian said:
One guy I heard of got a Ph.D. in physics for a dissertation on getting Heinz Ketchup out of the bottle.
I know you... you envy him, don't you?  The only thing wrong, from your perspective, is that his dissertation dealt with practical application of physics.... But otherwise, the ability to pontificate (you love to) on food (mmmmmmmm) using physics or theoretical math... a dynamic combination, no?
 

Zoe

Elder
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Campbell, Ohio
I'll be in Greece for only two weeks, from the end of May to two weeks in June or so.  Not sure of the exact dates, yet ;P

But, we are going to Samos and Turkey.  Not sure what part of Turkey.  Maybe Constantinople!
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
cleveland said:
I know you... you envy him, don't you?  The only thing wrong, from your perspective, is that his dissertation dealt with practical application of physics.... But otherwise, the ability to pontificate (you love to) on food (mmmmmmmm) using physics or theoretical math... a dynamic combination, no?
To combine food and physics is a great and noble endeavour, though he should have dealt with theoretical food, not real food. It is unfortunate that even in the light of such great research, he has debased the field of food-physics by approaching it in a (forgive my vulgarity) pragmatic manner.
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
cleveland said:
Ooooo.... "Pragmatic" - it makes you cringe every time, huh?
Shouldn't such profanity be censored??? It's bad enough that I uttered it once, I mean we might have young children looking at this board. And you're a Moderator at that, shame.
 

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 5, 2002
Messages
7,253
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
57
Hey, GiC!

Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.
Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.
Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.
Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.
Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.
Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.
Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.
Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.
Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.Pragmatic.
                                                         :)

(I also deliberately left the emoticon off center to maximize the annoyance effect...)
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
chris said:
(I also deliberately left the emoticon off center to maximize the annoyance effect...)
Nothing like cutting off your nose to spite your face...I know very well that I'm not the only one bothered by the evils of asymmetry.
 

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 5, 2002
Messages
7,253
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
57
greekischristian said:
Nothing like cutting off your nose to spite your face...I know very well that I'm not the only one bothered by the evils of asymmetry.
Yes, but I can tolerate the pain of asymmetry and cutting off my own nose in the knowledge that it annoys another person even more...

Perhaps I should send you a screen shot of my latest Civ palace...Muhahaha! ;)
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,862
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
I still can't believe Fr. Chris posted something asymmetrical!

"Peas and Carrots living together... Mass hysteria!" (Modified from Ghostbusters)
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,862
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Your overbursting enthusiasm at hours considered too profane for decent humans (8am on a Saturday, a time only designed for kids and cartoons) is disturbing.
 

aurelia

High Elder
Joined
Jan 21, 2005
Messages
588
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
MI, USA
Civ palace? as in Civilization? do tell! I'm thinking of getting that game next time I have nothing better to do with the movney its gonna cost me (too bad game stop doesnt do used pc games)
 

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 5, 2002
Messages
7,253
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
57
aurelia said:
Civ palace? as in Civilization? do tell! I'm thinking of getting that game next time I have nothing better to do with the movney its gonna cost me (too bad game stop doesnt do used pc games)
Ahh yes...Civilization, what my wife knows as the closest thing to a mistress I have....

My play of this game has managed to convert my two sons as well, aged 16 and 14. Basically my home computer is constantly playing Civ, either one of the saved games each one of us maintains, or in the rare time all three of us have free time, we play the multiplayer version.

One of my big disappointments is that my home computer just cannot seem to manage with Civ 4. On a priest's salary it's not likely that I'll be able to upgrade the video card to be able to play this version, but we're having enough fun with Civ 3 and its expansions anyway.

In fact, maybe we should set up a thread for people to play Civ 3 conquests by the internet, where we can forward the file to the next player. If we resolve to all play one turn a day, it'll keep us busy for, oh, about a year and a half...
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,862
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
I've taken CIV off the computer so I can actually get work done...

That will change next semester, when I'm taking 4 classes for 7.5 credits, and 90% of my week will be free!
 

Panagiotis

Elder
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
406
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
47
Location
Fond Du Lac, WI
Website
twocentphilosophist.blogspot.com
WHat Civilization do you play, as in nation or peoples?
And what version(s) do/did you like best?

Civ II by far was my favourite. Ialso enjoyed Alpha Centauri when it came out. I still play it.
And as for nation, I play the Japanese.

Blessings,
Panagiotis
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,862
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Civ III is favorite... Haven't decided who is my favorite to play as (although GiC almost won me over to Egypt... not quite, though)
 

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 5, 2002
Messages
7,253
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
57
Panagiotis...

I also, by far, prefer the Japanese. However, I am toying with the idea that perhaps I should start out more aggressively and pick a culture that has an earlier arriving special unit, such as the Carthaginians or Babylonians...

I don't know why GiC likes to play Egypt...I think he just likes being in touch which his feminine side having others call him Cleopatra...
 

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
3,794
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Archdiocese of Boston
Panagiotis said:
WHat Civilization do you play, as in nation or peoples?
And what version(s) do/did you like best?

Civ II by far was my favourite. Ialso enjoyed Alpha Centauri when it came out. I still play it.
And as for nation, I play the Japanese.

Blessings,
Panagiotis
I play CivII (I went to college before CivIII came out, so I was too poor to buy it and too busy to play it).

I always picked the Greeks and then changed their name to the Byzantines. I'd change the name of the ruler to Constantine or Justinian or Alexios I Komnenos or Basil II, someone like that.

I'd change the name of one of my chief enemy to the Turks ;)
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
cleveland said:
I've taken CIV off the computer so I can actually get work done...

That will change next semester, when I'm taking 4 classes for 7.5 credits, and 90% of my week will be free!
So that means you're gona get all of your other responsabilities done too right!?!?! 

Civ. III was the best.  I've never tried Civ. IV, but I think that the whole series is just amazing! 

 

aurelia

High Elder
Joined
Jan 21, 2005
Messages
588
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
MI, USA
chris said:
Ahh yes...Civilization, what my wife knows as the closest thing to a mistress I have....
Wait until I get you into the Sims2...muahahahahahahaha.

what card do you have? I got an nvidia 6600 last year and I could really use a better one, but it works, and I have all the TS2 packs.  How would that be with Civ (4, 3, whatever)? I have a feeling I would like to play Rome, isn't that an option?Better be.  I'm thinking that would be a good thread to have, if I get the game i will join in!
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,862
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
aurelia said:
Wait until I get you into the Sims2...muahahahahahahaha.

what card do you have? I got an nvidia 6600 last year and I could really use a better one, but it works, and I have all the TS2 packs.  How would that be with Civ (4, 3, whatever)? I have a feeling I would like to play Rome, isn't that an option?Better be.  I'm thinking that would be a good thread to have, if I get the game i will join in!
Yes, you can play as Rome.  I'm not sure about how the vid card will work with the newest (Civ 4)... I would think that just about any video card (above $50) purchased in the last year would suffice, but then again I've been wrong before.  I've been out of the computer-parts loop for too long...
 
Joined
Apr 11, 2006
Messages
341
Reaction score
0
Points
0
what is the major difference(s) between Age of Empires and the Civ games?

We've had the AE bug running through the family network until AE3 when our vid card defied us.  my 10 will also defy us and sneak onto a saved game...it's that addictive to males apparently.

I myself am far to intelligent to play it *that* often.  ;)

rebecca
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,862
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
AoE is real-time, so the action is constantly happening.  Civ is turn-based, so while you're moving no one else is.

AoE is more on the micro-level (a town or two, moving individual soldiers) versus Civ on the macro level (you can build 50 cities... and while it looks like you're directing 5 or 10 workers/soldiers, they probably represent a group).

Highly addictive to males.  More so to seminarian males (considered as if it were radioactive).
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,862
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Eh.... the Banning game was good - but not as good as how the "Random Postings" thread got its big boost - bottles of beer on the wall
 

aurelia

High Elder
Joined
Jan 21, 2005
Messages
588
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
MI, USA
Sims 1...the good old days.  I had a site (Deliciae Romae)and everything...and I think I have all the stuff backed up, so if I ever get internet at home again and you want custom ancient roman items, etc, let me know.
 

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 5, 2002
Messages
7,253
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
57
aurelia said:
Sims 1...the good old days.  I had a site (Deliciae Romae)and everything...and I think I have all the stuff backed up, so if I ever get internet at home again and you want custom ancient roman items, etc, let me know.
That is just sooooooo cool.

Earlier you let me know of the potenital addiction I will have with Sims2...I'm very interested in it, but I fear it as well, since I know it may take hold of me, and never release me.
 
Top