Random Postings

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
8,785
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
35
Location
Springfield, MO
mike said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
mike said:
I've had a test on programming today and my computer broke, so I wasn't able to finish it. Luckily I can take it again.
Are you sure the computer breaking wasn't part of the test?
I think no. Visual Studio simply refused to work.
It was a joke. 'Twould be an evil professor indeed who engineered a test that involved reprogramming a computer that refused to function.
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Peet's coffee is fantastic.  Just letting you all know. 
I will now be getting coffee.

Nescafe.
Man I havn't had that in forever.  I havn't had a greek coffee in forever.  Peet's is fantastic.  mmmm...peeet's
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Peet's coffee is fantastic.  Just letting you all know. 
I will now be getting coffee.

Nescafe.
Man I havn't had that in forever.  I havn't had a greek coffee in forever.  Peet's is fantastic.  mmmm...peeet's
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Peet's coffee is fantastic.  Just letting you all know. 
I will now be getting coffee.

Nescafe.
Man I havn't had that in forever.  I havn't had a greek coffee in forever.  Peet's is fantastic.  mmmm...peeet's
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
Did you mean traditional "garb"??  If you didn't, then I have no idea what you're asking...lol
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Peet's coffee is fantastic.  Just letting you all know. 
I will now be getting coffee.

Nescafe.
Man I havn't had that in forever.  I havn't had a greek coffee in forever.  Peet's is fantastic.  mmmm...peeet's
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
Did you mean traditional "garb"??  If you didn't, then I have no idea what you're asking...lol
yes sir.
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Peet's coffee is fantastic.  Just letting you all know. 
I will now be getting coffee.

Nescafe.
Man I havn't had that in forever.  I havn't had a greek coffee in forever.  Peet's is fantastic.  mmmm...peeet's
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
Did you mean traditional "garb"??  If you didn't, then I have no idea what you're asking...lol
yes sir.
I'm not sure I understand your question.  Laypeople should just wear whatever they are comfortable wearing and is decent for the culture they are surrounded by.  As christians we should always be watchful of not leading our neighbor to sin, whether that is by not having enough clothes or too many (or too funky).  On the other hand, we should always be mindful of our orthodoxy and our christian mindset, in everything we do. 

Very helpful huh...
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,111
Reaction score
34
Points
48
Age
41
I got an A in my math class. I probably haven't had an A in math since before Junior High  :D
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Peet's coffee is fantastic.  Just letting you all know. 
I will now be getting coffee.

Nescafe.
Man I havn't had that in forever.  I havn't had a greek coffee in forever.  Peet's is fantastic.  mmmm...peeet's
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
Did you mean traditional "garb"??  If you didn't, then I have no idea what you're asking...lol
yes sir.
I'm not sure I understand your question.  Laypeople should just wear whatever they are comfortable wearing and is decent for the culture they are surrounded by.  As christians we should always be watchful of not leading our neighbor to sin, whether that is by not having enough clothes or too many (or too funky).  On the other hand, we should always be mindful of our orthodoxy and our christian mindset, in everything we do. 

Very helpful huh...
Well, I heard somewhere about how pants are not "christian" and so on... So I thought some people wore.. Something else?

Aster: Glad to hear that! I have a F... haha!
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,111
Reaction score
34
Points
48
Age
41
Vzldrb said:
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
I'd agree with what serb said on this. It might also have to do with how you dress during the week. If you wear a suit to the office, why not to worship the Lord? But if you're a day laborer, you shouldn't feel ashamed if you just wear plain pants and a nice plain shirt.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,111
Reaction score
34
Points
48
Age
41
An F?  Seriously? :eek: :angel:  I think you need to hook up with a tutor my friend!
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Asteriktos said:
An F?  Seriously? :eek: :angel:  I think you need to hook up with a tutor my friend!
I was thinking of being avoidant and changing my major to something that does not require math, then getting an M. Div at St. Tikhons, which is nearby.

Just an idea.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,111
Reaction score
34
Points
48
Age
41
The only thing is, does your school require a math course to fulfill the liberal arts core, and would you be ok with that course? That could factor in as well. For example, at the school that I'm at now (and with my major) you are required to take a certain level algebra course or higher to graduate, though at some other schools I've looked at they only require a statistics course for the major I'd be in.  But in both cases, you have to take a math course of some type. Whatever happens, I hope you can go on to get a M.Div, that's a nice goal.
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Asteriktos said:
The only thing is, does your school require a math course to fulfill the liberal arts core, and would you be ok with that course? That could factor in as well. For example, at the school that I'm at now (and with my major) you are required to take a certain level algebra course or higher to graduate, though at some other schools I've looked at they only require a statistics course for the major I'd be in.  But in both cases, you have to take a math course of some type. Whatever happens, I hope you can go on to get a M.Div, that's a nice goal.
Yes yes my friend, alas even in theology one must encounter the mathematical sciences.  You never really escape it...trust me. 
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
serb1389 said:
Asteriktos said:
The only thing is, does your school require a math course to fulfill the liberal arts core, and would you be ok with that course? That could factor in as well. For example, at the school that I'm at now (and with my major) you are required to take a certain level algebra course or higher to graduate, though at some other schools I've looked at they only require a statistics course for the major I'd be in.  But in both cases, you have to take a math course of some type. Whatever happens, I hope you can go on to get a M.Div, that's a nice goal.
Yes yes my friend, alas even in theology one must encounter the mathematical sciences.  You never really escape it...trust me. 
Ugh.

Alright then. I think I will switch to "fine arts", since all the math courses there are "electives"... I'll spend a semester as part time then, just to focus on math.

Thanks everyone for the advice :)
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Asteriktos said:
The only thing is, does your school require a math course to fulfill the liberal arts core, and would you be ok with that course? That could factor in as well. For example, at the school that I'm at now (and with my major) you are required to take a certain level algebra course or higher to graduate, though at some other schools I've looked at they only require a statistics course for the major I'd be in.  But in both cases, you have to take a math course of some type. Whatever happens, I hope you can go on to get a M.Div, that's a nice goal.
Yes yes my friend, alas even in theology one must encounter the mathematical sciences.  You never really escape it...trust me. 
Ugh.

Alright then. I think I will switch to "fine arts", since all the math courses there are "electives"... I'll spend a semester as part time then, just to focus on math.

Thanks everyone for the advice :)
It's not like you're going to major in math if you go to St. Tikhon's, i'm just saying that there's going to be at LEAST one class.  This is not indicative though of what the class might offer.  Our class at HC for example began with addition, subtraction, long division and multiplication tables. our midterm was on fractions and our final was on XY graphing.  No joke.  But then again that one class had to cover a lot of people, including elementary education majors who had to eventually teach little kids how to do basic math.  so yah...

Also, if you were going to St. Tikhon's planning to be a priest or clergymember in general you should probably know that math is just a part of parish life. you do budgets, fiscal planning, etc. all the time.  It's just part and parcel for what you do.  That's what I meant by it follows you everywhere you go. 

.....didn't want you to make life decisions based on flippant comments...lol. 
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Asteriktos said:
The only thing is, does your school require a math course to fulfill the liberal arts core, and would you be ok with that course? That could factor in as well. For example, at the school that I'm at now (and with my major) you are required to take a certain level algebra course or higher to graduate, though at some other schools I've looked at they only require a statistics course for the major I'd be in.  But in both cases, you have to take a math course of some type. Whatever happens, I hope you can go on to get a M.Div, that's a nice goal.
Yes yes my friend, alas even in theology one must encounter the mathematical sciences.  You never really escape it...trust me. 
Ugh.

Alright then. I think I will switch to "fine arts", since all the math courses there are "electives"... I'll spend a semester as part time then, just to focus on math.

Thanks everyone for the advice :)
It's not like you're going to major in math if you go to St. Tikhon's, i'm just saying that there's going to be at LEAST one class.  This is not indicative though of what the class might offer.  Our class at HC for example began with addition, subtraction, long division and multiplication tables. our midterm was on fractions and our final was on XY graphing.  No joke.  But then again that one class had to cover a lot of people, including elementary education majors who had to eventually teach little kids how to do basic math.  so yah...

Also, if you were going to St. Tikhon's planning to be a priest or clergymember in general you should probably know that math is just a part of parish life. you do budgets, fiscal planning, etc. all the time.  It's just part and parcel for what you do.  That's what I meant by it follows you everywhere you go. 

.....didn't want you to make life decisions based on flippant comments...lol. 
lol, yes.

I know that Math like that will be needed, but that's something I can cover in a simple class... I don't really need to know how to use trinomials in order to figure out a fiscal budget... lol.
 
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
3,397
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
41
Vzldrb said:
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
LOL, What kind of people do you think Orthodox Christians are??!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Listen, we're not some kind of fundy-Morman-cult that abstains from caffeine, alcohol, and makes women wear long underwear under their dresses and the men cut their hair short.  :D

While there are extremists out there (and if you spend enough time on Google, they are not hard to find), by spending time in the parish you will see that Orthodox Christians are pretty much just like your average American, except our form of worship is way cooler than any Protestant Mega-Church.  ;D

You will see that we drink coffee and alcohol, eat REALLY good food, and know how to have an awesome time. (And we certainly aren't afraid of dancing!)

While in some parishes it's traditional for the women to wear a skirt to church on Sunday, our women are allowed to wear pants, have jobs, and speak their mind. (i.e. you never want to cross a Presbytera/Matushka/Khouria!  :laugh: ) Our men are allowed to grow their hair long or keep it short, some have beards, some do not.

Orthodoxy is far more concerned with the state of your soul than the state of your dress.  ;)

I think as you spend more time at an Orthodox parish, you will see what I mean. :)
 
Top