Random Postings

DeathToTheWorld

Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
DeathToTheWorld said:
Make like the mantis. Praying Mantis
And eat bugs?  No, thank you. :p
The mantis is called 'praying' because it is in a praying posture, get it?

It goes with the picture I posted before it, it looks like a human hand reaching up. Its a Pulsar.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
"Wise man say... don't be a fool... king."

Anyone know where that quote is from? (I hope I'm remembering it right)  I'll give you a hint, it was in a game.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Why is it that when I order books I'm all excited, and then when they arrive, instead of reading them I sit here in front of a computer!?  ??? :mad: :D

Reaction score
Vzldrb said:
I'm willing to try anything. Doubling up the amount of coffee works wonders.
Festival season is a upon us -- I suggest you get thee to a Greek festival ASAP! lol

In the meantime,

Greek Frappe (Be sure to read the comments on the bottom)

Also, read History of the Greek Frappe

For decent "hot" instant coffee, have you tried the Starbucks version?

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Why is it that when I order books I'm all excited, and then when they arrive, instead of reading them I sit here in front of a computer!?  ??? :mad: :D
I do the same thing!  :laugh:

DeathToTheWorld

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Why is it that when I order books I'm all excited, and then when they arrive, instead of reading them I sit here in front of a computer!?  ??? :mad: :D

Because the demon of self-esteem has you by the neck  :laugh:

I know how that is, you feel like you need this book, get all worked up about it because you feel like you need it, you buy it, then you read a little bit of it, then you put it down and see ANOTHER book, you buy IT, and its just a viscious cycle of mindless materiality.

I have bought many great Orthodox books, but I probably will never read them all.

Only Christ has wisdom. It says in the Epistle that in Him dwell all the treasures of knowledge and Wisdom.

Colossians 2:3

3In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

If only I had known that before I started buying all these expensive books :-\

I spent $240 on the Evergetinos only to find another book that I 'thought I needed'.

Well, you know what the Proverb says,

''The rich man's wealth is his strong city, and as an high wall in his own conceit.''

Proverbs 18:11

DeathToTheWorld

Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
Asteriktos said:
Why is it that when I order books I'm all excited, and then when they arrive, instead of reading them I sit here in front of a computer!?  ??? :mad: :D
That's easy.  Books are static and finite, while the internet is dynamic and appears infinite.  ;)

Some books may appear to be material and are confined to time and space.

But I have to let you know that the Spiritual books, the ones about the soul and eternity are much much more than finite.

The Bible Is one of those books which you will never be able to fully understand, because its too deep for the simple human mind to grasp.

The Bible can only be grasped by prayer for enlightenment from God, and complete and total surrender to His will.

But can you believe how we even have computers and the Internet?

Just think that only 20 years ago the internet was made.

Just think how the Holy Fathers were writing on chips of wood back in the day   ;D

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
DeathToTheWorld said:

But I have to let you know that the Spiritual books, the ones about the soul and eternity are much much more than finite.

The Bible Is one of those books which you will never be able to fully understand, because its too deep for the simple human mind to grasp.

The Bible can only be grasped by prayer for enlightenment from God, and complete and total surrender to His will.
I'm an Atheist (well, I suppose I like the term Humanist more), so I doubt we would come to an agreement over spiritual texts.  Though I can understand how a topic and the inspiration it creates can be infinite, a book is still a finite number of pages.  The internet, well, it falls more into that paradoxical ''finite yet boundless'' category.

DeathToTheWorld said:
I'm a Computer Scientist, so yes, yes I can.  ;)

DeathToTheWorld

Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
DeathToTheWorld said:

I'm an Atheist (well, I suppose I like the term Humanist more), so I doubt we would come to an agreement over spiritual texts.  Though I can understand how a topic and the inspiration it creates can be infinite, a book is still a finite number of pages.  The internet, well, it falls more into that paradoxical ''finite yet boundless'' category.

DeathToTheWorld said:
I'm a Computer Scientist, so yes, yes I can.  ;)
Do you know that you have a soul?

And that God exists?

DeathToTheWorld

Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
DeathToTheWorld said:

And that God exists?
I find the notion of both to be extremely unlikely (though I suppose much hinges on your definition of 'God') and choose to live my life based upon humanist ideals.

I want you to watch this video, please do, it will explain everything you need to know about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsDk0M-AE1k&feature=related

Don't you feel like something is missing in your life?

Or that there is something greater out there than just men and creation?

Man could not have possibly created himself.

This whole existence you and i live in, it is temporal, people die, matter decays, people age and fade away, almost like they never where.

The whole Universe decays, it is not logical to believe that the whole transient Universe could be created from itself.

There is and must be an entity, beyond all others, a source of all of this life, if not, then our existence could never be explained.

And if there were just rows of men being born and then dying as if they never were, then life has no meaning.

There would be no point in doing anything good, or evil.

There is a God, and He is 3, The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, these 3 are 1.

He is a Triune God.

All of this has been revealed by the Holy Scriptures, it is the Word of God

St John the Evangelist speaks

John 4:24

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

According to one of our Saints, St Dionysius the Areopagite, God is even above spirit, and based on His very nature, God is Omnipresent, He is dispersed everywhere and man can be with God at any time.

Vzldrb

Elder
Reaction score
DeathToTheWorld said:
Nebelpfade said:
DeathToTheWorld said:

And that God exists?
I find the notion of both to be extremely unlikely (though I suppose much hinges on your definition of 'God') and choose to live my life based upon humanist ideals.

I want you to watch this video, please do, it will explain everything you need to know about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsDk0M-AE1k&feature=related

Don't you feel like something is missing in your life?

Or that there is something greater out there than just men and creation?

Man could not have possibly created himself.

This whole existence you and i live in, it is temporal, people die, matter decays, people age and fade away, almost like they never where.

The whole Universe decays, it is not logical to believe that the whole transient Universe could be created from itself.

There is and must be an entity, beyond all others, a source of all of this life, if not, then our existence could never be explained.

And if there were just rows of men being born and then dying as if they never were, then life has no meaning.

There would be no point in doing anything good, or evil.

There is a God, and He is 3, The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, these 3 are 1.

He is a Triune God.

All of this has been revealed by the Holy Scriptures, it is the Word of God

St John the Evangelist speaks

John 4:24

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

According to one of our Saints, St Dionysius the Areopagite, God is even above spirit, and based on His very nature, God is Omnipresent, He is dispersed everywhere and man can be with God at any time.
Please don't tell me you think this is going to change his/her mind.

Vzldrb

Elder
Reaction score
HandmaidenofGod said:
Vzldrb said:
Festival season is a upon us -- I suggest you get thee to a Greek festival ASAP! lol

In the meantime,

Starbucks?
No thanks, I'm using the Nescafe Instant stuff. I wish our coffee machine worked, I'd brew coffee all day! (Assuming we even had actual non-instant coffee)

DeathToTheWorld

Reaction score
Vzldrb said:
HandmaidenofGod said:
Vzldrb said:

In the meantime,

Starbucks?
No thanks, I'm using the Nescafe Instant stuff. I wish our coffee machine worked, I'd brew coffee all day! (Assuming we even had actual non-instant coffee)

I ordered some coffee from the Holy Cross Hermitage in WV and let me tell you, it is some of the best coffee I have ever had.

20% off Pashca sale :)

I got the 'Abbots Choice' whole bean dark roast.

http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=COFF&keywords=all&template=PDGCommTemplates/TopBotNav/Storebuilder_Type4.html

Vzldrb

Elder
Reaction score
DeathToTheWorld said:
Vzldrb said:
HandmaidenofGod said:
Vzldrb said:

In the meantime,

Starbucks?

I ordered some coffee from the Holy Cross Hermitage in WV and let me tell you, it is some of the best coffee I have ever had.

20% off Pashca sale :)

I got the 'Abbots Choice' whole bean dark roast.

http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=COFF&keywords=all&template=PDGCommTemplates/TopBotNav/Storebuilder_Type4.html
We may actually end up friends if that coffee is any good. School ends soon and i'm selling my books, so i'll have a cash surplus.

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Vzldrb said:
HandmaidenofGod said:
Vzldrb said:

In the meantime,

Starbucks?
You don't need a coffee machine. All you need is a French press, and maybe a grinder. If you grind your own, just use 1 tablespoon per 8 oz. in the bottom of the French press, add boiling water (we use a electric pressure kettle, which is fast, but you could do it on the stove too), and let it sit 4-5 minutes before pressing. If you buy pre-ground coffee, make sure it is coarsely ground. The fine grind can clog French presses.

Vzldrb

Elder
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Vzldrb said:
HandmaidenofGod said:
Vzldrb said:

In the meantime,

Starbucks?
You don't need a coffee machine. All you need is a French press, and maybe a grinder. If you grind your own, just use 1 tablespoon per 8 oz. in the bottom of the French press, add boiling water (we use a electric pressure kettle, which is fast, but you could do it on the stove too), and let it sit 4-5 minutes before pressing. If you buy pre-ground coffee, make sure it is coarsely ground. The fine grind can clog French presses.

How long did it take for you(everyone reading) to be accepted as a Catechumen?