• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

J Michael

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
11,549
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
People's Soviet Socialist Republic of Marylan
Jonathan Gress said:
J Michael said:
orthonorm said:
J Michael said:
Ansgar said:
Alpo said:
Ansgar said:
Alpo said:
Ansgar said:
However, you should be warned, that the political world is gonna be extemely boring.
Correct. Every Nordic parliament consists of five or so different Social Democratic parties.
Plus, a few semi-communists.
And every political problem all kinds of problems are solved by growing public sector and govermental regulation.
I'm getting more and more convinced that we should just join together in a Nordic Union with icelandic as the Lingua Franca.
I love it!!  Icelandic as the French language--beautiful.
If you only knew what THE lingua franca was, you would appreciate the absurdity even more. I always get a kick when I hear American is the lingua franca.
Let me guess--it was either a) Frankish, b)Esperanto, or c) Urdu.
I'm not sure what orthonorm intended, but the term "lingua franca" was originally coined to refer to the mixed language (mostly Italian, but with other Mediterranean elements) used in Mediterranean trade during the Renaissance. "Franca" here means "Frankish" i.e. the generic Greek/Arabic term for "Westerner", since the main tradesmen were Italians. It doesn't mean "French" as we know it.
Who ever knows what the orthonorm intended?  And yes, in spite of my colossal ignorance I'm aware of the etymology of "lingua franca".  But, thanks anyway for the info!
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,505
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
Cyrillic said:
We are what we're supposed to be,
illusions of your fantasy.
They are who we thought they were!

You play, to win, the game!

Practice? What are we talking about? Practice? Practice?
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,505
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
Sometimes I go to the "Who's Online" section.
And sometimes I see people viewing threads I started 10 years ago.
And sometimes I remember what I said in those threads.
And sometimes I cringe when I remember.
And sometimes that sometimes is right now.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,505
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
If humans evolved from a primordial soup, then why is there still soup?
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Iconodule said:
I'm pretty sure Maroon 5 is the worst band ever.
And I probably unknowingly like one of their songs. I will have to google to see what their hits were.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
36
Location
Omaha
Iconodule said:
I'm pretty sure Maroon 5 is the worst band ever.
Worst might be an exaggeration, but I would bet that they are in the running.
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
Iconodule said:
I'm pretty sure Maroon 5 is the worst band ever.
They sold out pretty quick. I did like their flirtations with Talking Heads and Prince on their second album, then don't know what happened after that.

I liked that Sunday Morning song
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,505
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
Now that I sold my car I guess I need to get a bike to get to liturgy. That'll be fun in winter  ::)
 

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
1,038
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
415
Location
Mars
As of this morning, I have lost a grand total of twenty-eight pounds since January.

And I just finished the Couch to 5k program.

All you skinny people should have told me how good this feels.

Glory to God.
 

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
5,813
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Asteriktos said:
If humans evolved from a primordial soup, then why is there still soup?
This type of question is why they stopped saying we evolved from chimps and now say along side them.
 

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
5,813
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Asteriktos said:
Now that I sold my car I guess I need to get a bike to get to liturgy. That'll be fun in winter  ::)
Heated seat?
 

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
5,813
Reaction score
0
Points
0
pmpn8rGPT said:
As of this morning, I have lost a grand total of twenty-eight pounds since January.

And I just finished the Couch to 5k program.

All you skinny people should have told me how good this feels.

Glory to God.
Fantastic!  Keep up the good work.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,505
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
pmpn8rGPT said:
As of this morning, I have lost a grand total of twenty-eight pounds since January.

And I just finished the Couch to 5k program.

All you skinny people should have told me how good this feels.

Glory to God.
Haven't been skinny in 20 years, so I forgot how it feels, but good for you :)

pmpn8rGPT said:
See my above post ;).
Unfortunately I'm not sure that riding a bike to church once a week will help much.. but I'm willing to try!

Kerdy said:
This type of question is why they stopped saying we evolved from chimps and now say along side them.
Who told you that?  8)
 

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
1,038
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
415
Location
Mars
Asteriktos said:
Unfortunately I'm not sure that riding a bike to church once a week will help much.. but I'm willing to try!
Whenever you are sitting down and wasting away in front of a computer screen looking at Internet forums, just think "Hmmm, forums are useless, unlike bikes." ;D  ;D ;D
 

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
1,038
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
415
Location
Mars
Asteriktos said:
Kerdy said:
This type of question is why they stopped saying we evolved from chimps and now say along side them.
Who told you that?  8)
I remembered seeing something like that on Mental Floss, but I haven't cared enough to do research.

To be resumed tomorrow in the evolution thread.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,505
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
Fwiw, so far as I understand it... through the mid-20th century people had this simplistic view of human evolution, in which there was one line of evolution that began with a primitive ape and eventually led to humans. What got them thinking in another direction is that they started to find bones from very different animals (some closer to human, some much further away) in the same strata and dated to the same time period. Once they realized that these animals coexisted they started to think that things were more like a tree or bush, than a single evolutionary path, not just for animals in general but even for the more recent human predecessors. As further evidence came in this tree/bush idea was proven to be correct. It didn't have anything to do with creationists asking things like "if we evolved from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys?"  Though such questions were what I was poking fun at in my soup statement of course.
 

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
1,038
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
415
Location
Mars
Asteriktos said:
Fwiw, so far as I understand it... through the mid-20th century people had this simplistic view of human evolution, in which there was one line of evolution that began with a primitive ape and eventually led to humans. What got them thinking in another direction is that they started to find bones from very different animals (some closer to human, some much further away) in the same strata and dated to the same time period. Once they realized that these animals coexisted they started to think that things were more like a tree or bush, than a single evolutionary path, not just for animals in general but even for the more recent human predecessors. As further evidence came in this tree/bush idea was proven to be correct. It didn't have anything to do with creationists asking things like "if we evolved from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys?"  Though such questions were what I was poking fun at in my soup statement of course.
Eh, the theory of evolution doesn't make much sense.  And the idea of evolution without a Creator makes absolutely no sense.

I'll pick Kent Hovind over Richard Dawkins.
 

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
5,813
Reaction score
0
Points
0
My back hurts.

That's what happens when you start doing stuff you could do 20 years ago.
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,289
Reaction score
174
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
pmpn8rGPT said:
All you skinny people should have told me how good this feels.
It feels good even to us not-so-skinny people. ;)
 

augustin717

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
6,850
Reaction score
0
Points
0
saw on my FB feed this morning that DOMA was declared unconstitutional. i anticipate-with glee, the apocalyptic reactions
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,795
Reaction score
2
Points
36
Location
Chicago
augustin717 said:
saw on my FB feed this morning that DOMA was declared unconstitutional. i anticipate-with glee, the apocalyptic reactions
seeing the collapse of one country wasn't enough for you?
 

augustin717

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
6,850
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ialmisry said:
augustin717 said:
saw on my FB feed this morning that DOMA was declared unconstitutional. i anticipate-with glee, the apocalyptic reactions
seeing the collapse of one country wasn't enough for you?
empires don't collapse for that no matter what moralists say . it's probably strengthening the empire, actually. and maybe, will -in a perverse way- provide rhetorical justifications for further meddling in far away places that haven't repelled their own doma's so to speak.  i say that from the left side. You underestimate and romanticize the  current system  if you think it can't adapt to things such as gay marriage. judging by how many corporations come out in support of it-those i see running their float at the Chicago GPP- probably someone has made some math and reached different conclusions. and one more thing, you'd be surprised how common it is among the boystown people to say "i'm fiscally conservative."
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
augustin717 said:
ialmisry said:
augustin717 said:
saw on my FB feed this morning that DOMA was declared unconstitutional. i anticipate-with glee, the apocalyptic reactions
seeing the collapse of one country wasn't enough for you?
empires don't collapse for that no matter what moralists say . it's probably strengthening the empire, actually. and maybe, will -in a perverse way- provide rhetorical justifications for further meddling in far away places that haven't repelled their own doma's so to speak.  i say that from the left side. You underestimate and romanticize the  current system   if you think it can't adapt to things such as gay marriage. judging by how many corporations come out in support of it-those i see running their float at the Chicago GPP- probably someone has made some math and reached different conclusions. and one more thing, you'd be surprised how common it is among the boystown people to say "i'm fiscally conservative."
The Left should've have never gotten into identity politics.

Welcome to the Unbridled Market of the Obscene.

You can now have your hedonism and 401k too!

EDIT: more senseless rambling here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52129.msg944327.html#msg944327
 

Ansgar

Archon
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
3,060
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
27
I really wish I lived in Norway. The Monastery of St. Tryphon is celebrating the Feast of Saints Peter and Paul and they're being visited by georgian singers, a skilled byzantine chanter, and Athanasios Rakovalis, who is going to talk about Elder Paisios.
 

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
5,813
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've enjoyed Korea, but it's time to leave and my transportion keeps getting changed.  Time to twiddle fingers for another day.
 

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
5,813
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ansgar said:
I really wish I lived in Norway. The Monastery of St. Tryphon is celebrating the Feast of Saints Peter and Paul and they're being visited by georgian singers, a skilled byzantine chanter, and Athanasios Rakovalis, who is going to talk about Elder Paisios.
I enjoyed my time in Norway.
 
Top