Random Postings

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
We had 32 trick-or-treaters this evening. We've never been below forty before, and are usually in the low fifties. However, this is one of the coldest Halloween on record, it's just 2C right now,  so I can understand that parents don't want to be out with their kids too long.

But tomorrow morning I start my paper route! 32 customers (including myself); since they're rather scattered around a few blocks, it will take about an hour. Have to have them done by 7 a.m. I'm not sure what time they get delivered to me, but I'll be up by 4:30 - so I guess I'd better be off to bed! (approaching 8:30 p.m. local time right now).

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
genesisone said:
We had 32 trick-or-treaters this evening. We've never been below forty before, and are usually in the low fifties. However, this is one of the coldest Halloween on record, it's just 2C right now,  so I can understand that parents don't want to be out with their kids too long.

But tomorrow morning I start my paper route! 32 customers (including myself); since they're rather scattered around a few blocks, it will take about an hour. Have to have them done by 7 a.m. I'm not sure what time they get delivered to me, but I'll be up by 4:30 - so I guess I'd better be off to bed! (approaching 8:30 p.m. local time right now).
Have fun! :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Why does Microsoft change everything around all the time? Just when you get used to something... BAM! you get an update that changes things.

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We haven't had anywhere near 32 trick or treaters here in So. Cal and it's over 60 °.  Must be some other reason (perhaps because it's a work/school night)?

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
genesisone said:

Have fun! :)
Thanks, and I did have fun!

Don't know what time my papers got delivered to my house, but they were there when I looked out at 4:45 a.m. It took a few extra minutes to go over things to figure out just how I would handle some things, so doing that, and after my morning prayers, it was a few minutes before six that I left the house. It took a bit longer today than it will in the future because I had to be referring to my list of customers, checking my notes, and searching for mail boxes or other delivery locations, but I walked back into my own house about 6:45. Once I get the route learned, it shouldn't take much more than a half hour to do. Of course, by then walking will be more difficult in the snow.

They're predicting a winter with relatively mild temperatures, but lots of snow - only to be expected. If Lake Erie doesn't freeze over, there's always more snow. We get the effect of SW winds coming off Lake Erie, but not nearly what they get in Buffalo, NY, only a half hour away!

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
theistgal said:
I sell used books on Amazon, and have accepted returns a few times, no questions asked. Most if the used book sellers will accommodate you to keep their feedback rating high.

(Mine's still at 100% after 3 years! :) )
Funny, I was looking at Catholic books on amazon.com last week and your picture (the one you have here at oc.net) came up.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
So when I lived in my ghetto apartment complex, I had tons of trick or treaters. Now that I live in the nice one, well, I got zero trick or treaters.

synLeszka

High Elder
Reaction score
I have spent the last three days walking from cemetery to cemetery. The bazars with sellers of flowers and candles of cheap quality, the hoards of faithful, the hundred year old grave monuments which take your breath away. I had to stop myself from spitting on the grave of a former Communist party member, which somehow was the only one without a cross in the cemetery. The sad monotony of the hymns sung today, the traffic jams around cemeteries, et cetera creates an insular climate of its own. Somehow I know that this is one of the few times of the year, when this country functions normally.

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Papist, lol - so you've discovered my secret identity!  Let's see, what did Superman do when Lois Lane did that? :D

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
My old coffee table was getting sort of old and beat up, so I decided to get a new one. However, I didn't bother to get measurements of my current table so that I would know what size table to order (I was browsing online). I eventually settled on a table from Walmart, and had them ship it to the store closest to me. I picked it up today... and I'm regretting not thinking this out more. If I did the measurements/calculation correctly, my new table is 49% smaller than my old one. I usually have multiple remote controls, multiple stacks of books, and multiple bunches of papers strewn across the table. Not now. I'm really missing that extra space.

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
My old coffee table was getting sort of old and beat up, so I decided to get a new one. However, I didn't bother to get measurements of my current table so that I would know what size table to order (I was browsing online). I eventually settled on a table from Walmart, and had them ship it to the store closest to me. I picked it up today... and I'm regretting not thinking this out more. If I did the measurements/calculation correctly, my new table is 49% smaller than my old one. I usually have multiple remote controls, multiple stacks of books, and multiple bunches of papers strewn across the table. Not now. I'm really missing that extra space.
LOL, I love how you say it's "49% smaller" -- not just "about half the size."  ;)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I saw a large bird perched on the dock at the lake behind my house. It stood there with its wings out, for a long time. I don't have pictures, but it was beautiful.  :)

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Why do they sell deoderant. body spray, and shampoo in pairs, but not toothbruses or packs of pork chops?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
theistgal said:
Maybe you could add some vertical storage space - like desktop shelves, etc. ?
serb1389 said:
or even something on the side.  I have a great little 5 drawer plastic tower with tons of space both inside & on top for me to lay random papers & books!  (office max = your friend)
Yeah, I'll have to think about how to add some extra space somehow. :)

HandmaidenofGod said:
Asteriktos said:
LOL, I love how you say it's "49% smaller" -- not just "about half the size."  ;)
I was in college in Florida at the age of 20 when I realised how much of a nerd I was. The dorm monitor saw me walking back to my room and invited me to a get together. Shy and awkward, I gave an uber-geeky response, which sounded like some line out of a dissertation. It was at that moment that I realised who I truly was. People sometimes say "Oh, you wouldn't talk like that in real life". No. I really am that geeky in real life.  :p

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
theistgal said:
Maybe you could add some vertical storage space - like desktop shelves, etc. ?
serb1389 said:
or even something on the side.  I have a great little 5 drawer plastic tower with tons of space both inside & on top for me to lay random papers & books!  (office max = your friend)
Yeah, I'll have to think about how to add some extra space somehow. :)

HandmaidenofGod said:
Asteriktos said:
LOL, I love how you say it's "49% smaller" -- not just "about half the size."  ;)
I was in college in Florida at the age of 20 when I realised how much of a nerd I was. The dorm monitor saw me walking back to my room and invited me to a get together. Shy and awkward, I gave an uber-geeky response, which sounded like some line out of a dissertation. It was at that moment that I realised who I truly was. People sometimes say "Oh, you wouldn't talk like that in real life". No. I really am that geeky in real life.  :p
And I totally respect that! :)

Reaction score
I'm going to see "West Side Story" on Broadway this weekend! *does Snoopy Happy dance*