• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
J Michael said:
Arachne said:
I love the TV. How would we watch DVDs or all the stuff we grab off YouTube without one? ;D
On a computer?
Not the best of arrangements for family viewing. Why do computer monitors cost more than a TV the same size? It's the TV that has the extra hardware built in! ???
Monitors have a much higher resolution capability than TVs do.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
That person said:
So Wednesdays are gonna suck.
Ya really  :police:  That seems like an interesting mix of classes... are you majoring in Russian Orthodox CSI?  8)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
The area where I live has been invaded by giant cranes. The birds, not the construction equipment.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
Ya really  :police:  That seems like an interesting mix of classes... are you majoring in Russian Orthodox CSI?  8)
I'm open to anything at this point.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
CrystalMind said:
That person said:
My schedule this fall:

*Winces* My sympathies.

Do we have a student support thread?
Feel free to start one. You may even get some useful tips into the bargain. ;)

CrystalMind

Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
CrystalMind said:
We can create one for that 13 hour Chemistry lecture you have 3 times a week.   ;D  :eek:  ;D

MWF 9:40 pm - 10:40 am
:eek: Gah! I assure you, that's supposed to be an am. 9:40 am - 10:40 am. *shakes head* I can't believe I missed that...

EDIT: Yeah, 3 x 13 hours of PChem every week? I wouldn't last long.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
CrystalMind said:
SolEX01 said:
CrystalMind said:
We can create one for that 13 hour Chemistry lecture you have 3 times a week.   ;D  :eek:  ;D

MWF 9:40 pm - 10:40 am
:eek: Gah! I assure you, that's supposed to be an am. 9:40 am - 10:40 am. *shakes head* I can't believe I missed that...

EDIT: Yeah, 3 x 13 hours of PChem every week? I wouldn't last long.
Hopefully your Chemistry professor is more entertaining than the one I had.  He spoke with a monotone.

CrystalMind

Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Hopefully your Chemistry professor is more entertaining than the one I had.  He spoke with a monotone.
My condolences about your professor's teaching style. Thankfully, I know this professor; I don't anticipate problems with the lecture.  :)

*Hits the Randomizer*

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Went to mass today. Tridentine no less. The demographics though are I don't know how to put it. But mostly young people with presumably no memory of those times when this mass was the only thing in town, women and little girls all covered up in mantillas and long shapeless skirts. I'd say that at least half of the women press t there fit that. Also families with lots of children. Other than that certainly the aesthetics are way better if only because they are way less personal and more mechanic which is good, but the people I dunno, I don't think they are other than a subculture in every way.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Catholic or Orthodox? Did the Tridentine mass feel anyhow similar to the Byzantine liturgy?

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Did the Tridentine mass feel anyhow similar to the Byzantine liturgy?
other than that sense of impersonality or whatever you wanna call it not really.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Catholic or Orthodox? Did the Tridentine mass feel anyhow similar to the Byzantine liturgy?
Orin a second thought, it might feel somehow like a Russian liturgy, since both are choreographed to an extent I don't find, say , the Romanian liturgy.
I was present once at the no mass but in latin at Santa Maria maggiore. That felt much closer to the orthodox liturgy.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
There was an old lady in the men's room at Walmart today. Not an employee or someone cleaning or fixing something... just a shopper who was using the toilet  ???

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
There was an old lady in the men's room at Walmart today. Not an employee or someone cleaning or fixing something... just a shopper who was using the toilet  ???
When you gotta go...

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
One time I went to a restroom and noticed a distinct lack of urinals.  I quickly left.  And by 'left' I mean left the store and went to another one on the other side of town.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Arachne said:
Cyrillic said:
Kerdy said:
augustin717 said:
Kerdy said:
I changed my avatar.
Can't you put a beard on that guy?
I'm going out on a limb here to say, "no."
I'm going to say yes.

That's a niqab, not a beard. :p
So those two minutes in MS paint were a waste of time?
Time spent in MS paint are never a waste--success or failure, they are the best preparation for life that we have available to us. Paint on!

Didyma

Elder
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Rosetta Stone is the only way to learn a foreign language. Someone who didn't do well with high school Spanish, but learnt amazing stuff using Rosetta Stone, like how to ask where the bathroom is, told me so  :angel:
I dislike Rosetta Stone (at least the Japanese one).  It's great for memory and pronunciation, but it just has too little information for the gigantic price it has.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Enjoying this bittersweet crisp summer day with coffee, a book and a smoke.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
I canned 17 quarts of dill pickles today. Actually some of the jars were litres, some Imperial quarts, some US quarts. I've been doing this for quite a number of years.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
genesisone said:
I canned 17 quarts of dill pickles today. Actually some of the jars were litres, some Imperial quarts, some US quarts. I've been doing this for quite a number of years.
I would chop them up into those little circles. I like those best on my sandwiches.  :)

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
I have just finished my first Statement of Interest for grad school.

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
This past weekend I met Dr. Cornel West on a plane ride from NYC to Chicago.  He is a very kind, sincere man. 

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Ionnis said:
This past weekend I met Dr. Cornel West on a plane ride from NYC to Chicago.  He is a very kind, sincere man. 
that's something

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
J Michael said:
genesisone said:
Yummy!!  "Kosher" dill, with lots of gawlik?
Some garlic. Not a lot - just enough for some flavour. And no extra heat added. My two oldest grandchildren, now 12 and 11, will eat only my pickles (and I think, their mother's, since she learned from me  :)). They know the difference between "store bought" and the real thing!