• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
It seems that I should trust my instincts when it comes to English language. Never had much use for spoken English in real life so I'm not really sure what's colloquialism and what's basically just incorrect grammar.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
It seems that I should trust my instincts when it comes to English language. Never had much use for spoken English in real life so I'm not really sure what's colloquialism and what's basically just incorrect grammar.
You sound like your a native English speaker then.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After resisting for a long time, I finally got myself an ebay profile, in order to place a bid. We'll see how that goes.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Alpo said:
You sound like your a native English speaker then.
LOL

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
(Old-timer speak)

This thread began as a count-down to 100,000 posts; in fact, the high posting volume in this thread helped us get "over the hump" faster than what we were on pace for. 

We're now within striking distance of 1,000,000 posts.  Less than 300 posts to go (less than a day's work).

That's all.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
What do we get when we hit the one million mark?  Please say it's a plenary indulgence, pretty please with hot fudge and a fresh cherry on top. 
Can I even do that?  You're the one "laying claim to the Phanar!"  Or is your claim more of a property lien than an ecclesiastical dispute?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Fr. George said:
Can I even do that?  You're the one "laying claim to the Phanar!"  Or is your claim more of a property lien than an ecclesiastical dispute?
I'm pretty sure there's a canon preventing me from exercising ministry in your canonical territory without your permission.  But if you allow me, EVERYONE GETS A PLENARY INDULGENCE! 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Fr. George said:
I'm pretty sure there's a canon preventing me from exercising ministry in your canonical territory without your permission.  But if you allow me, EVERYONE GETS A PLENARY INDULGENCE! 
I'm glad you're willing to grant us less time in a place we don't even believe exists!  Greater men offer so much less!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Fr. George said:
I'm glad you're willing to grant us less time in a place we don't even believe exists!  Greater men offer so much less!
Speaking of things we don't even believe exist...greater men than I? 
I prostrate before you and beg your forgiveness.

(Yes, almost wrote "I prostate before you," which would be a major problem.)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Fr. George said:
(Yes, almost wrote "I prostate before you," which would be a major problem.)
You have no idea how many times I've almost made that mistake.  What the heck!  :p
I've got 3-4 replies that jumped off the tongue when I read this, but none are forum appropriate.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
we now have less than 100 posts left until 1 million

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
All of my internet friends have now converted to Eastern Orthodoxy, and I alone have escaped to tell you.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:

Memories of middle school flood me.
That actually happened to me once, but her dad was surprisingly a nice guy. He was this lazy old retired German guy married to a Filipina and the girl was their only child. He liked tobacco.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
My friend, who is in his late twenties, just realized his dad dips tobacco.  He thought the ubiquitous can in his dad's back pocket was shoe polish he always carried around.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
My friend, who is in his late twenties, just realized his dad dips tobacco.  He thought the ubiquitous can in his dad's back pocket was shoe polish he always carried around.
And also chewed bubble gum and spit alot?  :laugh:

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
hecma925 said:
And also chewed bubble gum and spit alot?  :laugh:
Apparently.  It was actually quite funny when it dawned on him.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Achronos, were you that redhead girl in front of me in yesterday's class? She was looking at exactly the same memes.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Achronos, were you that redhead girl in front of me in yesterday's class? She was looking at exactly the same memes.
As I found out recently, I think we can't just sweep the various tones of red under the redhead umbrella.

Was she a strawberry beige?

//:=)

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Cyrillic said:
As I found out recently, I think we can't just sweep the various tones of red under the redhead umbrella.

Was she a strawberry beige?

//:=)
No, chestnut red.

Alpo said:
Romaios said:
Alpo said:
The artist is American and has an Armenian name, Nina Katchadourian. And the paintings that inspired her are Flemish, which is to say Belgian...
Belgians are Sudetendutch.
Belgians, at least the Flemish, are Dutch in denial.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
sheenj said:
Alpo said:
Romaios said:
Alpo said:
The artist is American and has an Armenian name, Nina Katchadourian. And the paintings that inspired her are Flemish, which is to say Belgian...
Belgians are Sudetendutch.
I somehow doubt that the Walloons would agree with you.
I am not sure calling anyone a Walloon is a great way to find agreement with them.