Random Postings

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
I wonder... :-\ A team of programmers... Does one call them a nerd herd?
More likely given today's standards:

A hack pack.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I extremely dislike spring cleaning, but Lent is putting me into a purging mode...loading up the car for Goodwill.

I wish I could let go of more, though.  :-\ I have improved a lot over the years, but I am still a crazy packrat.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
I extremely dislike spring cleaning, but Lent is putting me into a purging mode...loading up the car for Goodwill.

I wish I could let go of more, though.  :-\ I have improved a lot over the years, but I am still a crazy packrat.
I did my spring cleaning just before Lent, so that I would have fewer excuses not to spend more time reading and praying at home, not that I have other excuses, but still fewer. Told people I was cragislisting my life away. Actually, have gotten rid of most of stuff over the last couple years.

Still have some stuff to ebay and give away.

Never understood packrats.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I always say that in my past life, I was living in Russia during Stalin's reign.

My family is actually fairly upper class (although I'm as poor as a church mouse now!), but I still tend to hoard things. I have this habit where I take, for example, my makeup collection, and I separate it into three different cases and place them throughout the house. I do this with everything - my magazines, books, etc. So therefore, I have fairly big makeup, perfume, and magazine collections and several of them are hidden. Heck, I have some stuff hidden in my PARENT'S house.

I have a fear of somebody robbing the house or a fire destroying my things. My mentality is that if 1/3 of my book collection is ruined, I might have the other 2/3.  My husband is trying to convince me to put everything in one place but I am going crazy! I did that with most of my makeup and jewelry today and I was struggling a little bit with that.

I act like there are shortages and I tend to stock up on strange items, like body wash, hair ties, and granola bars. My parents are immigrants and we were poorer in my childhood, but I don't even have memories of that.

I don't know what created those habits.

(My fear of my book collection going is pretty understandable -- I've been addicted to books since I was 5 or 6 and I will usually take 5 on a short weekend trip! But the other ones? Not so much.)

Now that you have been exposed to the crazy....  :eek:

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
I always say that in my past life, I was living in Russia during Stalin's reign.

My family is actually fairly upper class (although I'm as poor as a church mouse now!), but I still tend to hoard things. I have this habit where I take, for example, my makeup collection, and I separate it into three different cases and place them throughout the house. I do this with everything - my magazines, books, etc. So therefore, I have fairly big makeup, perfume, and magazine collections and several of them are hidden. Heck, I have some stuff hidden in my PARENT'S house.

I have a fear of somebody robbing the house or a fire destroying my things. My mentality is that if 1/3 of my book collection is ruined, I might have the other 2/3.  My husband is trying to convince me to put everything in one place but I am going crazy! I did that with most of my makeup and jewelry today and I was struggling a little bit with that.

I act like there are shortages and I tend to stock up on strange items, like body wash, hair ties, and granola bars. My parents are immigrants and we were poorer in my childhood, but I don't even have memories of that.

I don't know what created those habits.

(My fear of my book collection going is pretty understandable -- I've been addicted to books since I was 5 or 6 and I will usually take 5 on a short weekend trip! But the other ones? Not so much.)

Now that you have been exposed to the crazy....  :eek:
Got rid of 1000's of book over the years. Best decision ever. I now am down to fewer than 50. I had a method I used to demonstrate to myself whether to keep them or not.

Now, things I am prone to "lose" I have in dozens. I have at least 10 sets of car / house keys. They eventually get dispersed wherever they need to be found.

Once, I was closing my car door and right before it clicked, I cursed, cause I knew I locked my keys in my car. I shoved my hands in to the pockets of a jacket I hadn't worn in a while and there was a set in there unbeknownst to me.

Clothes I have gotten rid of a lot. Shoes and jackets are the last indulgence. I just have too many for any MAN to have.

When I had my serious injury and could no longer train for sport, it was painful for me to part with all the EQ I had. Had to give up that vanity as well.

Had a decent camera collection I sold over eight years ago. Now liquidating the last of my watches.

Back to books. I live where there is a wonderful public library system and I live close to a huge university where I can borrow stuff. And if I do want something far out there that the public system doesn't have, you can buy a copy for them, then borrow it. But you can't buy a copy then give it to them, they just sell it to raise funds.

If I ain't touching a text within a year, I have no need to have it. And if it doesn't contain massive amounts of helpful marginalia, I also don't need it.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I admire your restraint when it comes to books!  :eek: Less than 50! I am trying to eliminate the books that I don't absolutely love, and I have a lot of books from my charismatic days that are going to go (frankly, the only one that appeals to me anymore is Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest).

I have battled these tendencies for years. While I truthfully can't even approach the collections of clothes and makeup that teenage girls amass today, I still think I have too much and I'm trying to whittle it down. I just gave practically an entire closet of clothes away...they no longer fit but I was hoping that they would someday (wishful thinking!).

It's a lifelong journey, I guess! I just house-sat this weekend for friends of mine and I was shocked by how much they own. That and Hoarders makes me start going through my things again! (Ugh, Hoarders. So exploitative.)

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
It feels like that since Lent's started, some mysterious devil has been eating up every free moment of my time. My CFS is flaring up too.  :( I just want to sleep all day and I'm afraid that I'm going to nod off over my keyboard.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
1) Step in between skateboarder and horse with pair of scissors in hand.
2) Reach out.
3) Cut string.
4) Laugh.

In good news, I am praising God and enjoying fish today! I just bought my first Orthodox Bible and I hit the makeup jackpot at Ulta. I will be reading more of the Lenten Spring tonight with my husband.

Sounds like a good day? Too bad I have a writing deadline at 9 PM and I'll be working until then.  :-\

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
HandmaidenofGod said:
So cute!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ISzf2pryI&feature=player_embedded
Can you believe that my friend, who is training to be a vet, showed me the video last week? She said something about how its an example of animal behavior...that the dog is naturally submissive and the man took his behavior to mean that the dog went into the kitty treats. She swears that it was the first dog!

Is everyone watching it or something?!  :D

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
IsmiLiora said:
HandmaidenofGod said:
So cute!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ISzf2pryI&feature=player_embedded
Can you believe that my friend, who is training to be a vet, showed me the video last week? She said something about how its an example of animal behavior...that the dog is naturally submissive and the man took his behavior to mean that the dog went into the kitty treats. She swears that it was the first dog!

Is everyone watching it or something?!  :D
As a cat owner, let me assure you, it was the cat!

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
LOL, bad kitty!

Still so tired. I just want to crawl into bed forever. My accountant coming over to do our taxes today may have something to do with that.  ;D

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Do you ever sneeze so hard that you can see little flashing bursts of light with your eyes? Groovy!

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Do you ever sneeze so hard that you can see little flashing bursts of light with your eyes? Groovy!
whoa...lay off the good stuff, man!  :D

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Ok, I missed this Sunday, I heard it was the procession of the Cross. Can anyone tell me what I missed?