Random Postings

tuesdayschild

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
I don't think he's cute/handsome, but I like older non-pretty boy men. Meh.

Going to see the priest today! Whoo.
Please tell me those two statements are unrelated.

CBGardner

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
CBGardner said:
What else would you compare Mad Men to (stylistically)? My brother looooves this show and is trying to get me into it but I'm hesitant about taking on another show haha.
Someone I heard compared it to Boardwalk Empire.

It's a lot of character development...sometimes it doesn't move very fast (for instance, try watching the first THREE episodes before giving your final opinion. I thought that the first one was kind of slow-moving).

It's pretty complex in its storyline, and the director and costume designer do everything very deliberately...like insanely so. The colors of the smallest items are symbolic, so I keep watching every episode and making up my own ideas as to what was intentional.

I was actually pretty late to the game. :) I rebelled watching it for a few years because I don't trust anything that's very popular (oh, how hipster am I  8) ). I was pretty wrong about this show! I love it.
I loved Boardwalk Empire! Cool, well maybe I'll have to check it out then. BE did such an amazing job really recreating the feel of Atlantic City around that time and the outfits and conversation were spot on. Plus I love that 50's-60's suit, hat, and pipe type fashion in Mad Men; very classy. But as you said, the acclaim has made more suspicious  of it than anything.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
tuesdayschild said:
IsmiLiora said:
I don't think he's cute/handsome, but I like older non-pretty boy men. Meh.

Going to see the priest today! Whoo.
Please tell me those two statements are unrelated.
HEY! LOL they are not. I was giving an update on my life, thank you very much!  :mad: :D

PS Asteriktos, do you like Top Chef/Top Chef Masters? That's my favorite TV show!

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Yeah, I love Top Chef (and Masters)... I think I started watching around Season 3, and I've been hooked since then. Actually food shows are half of what I watch on TV... Chopped, Hells Kitchen, Next Food Network Star, The Great Food Truck Race, etc... Oh, and anything with Alton Brown in it :D

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I just realized that I said that the two statements WERE NOT UNRELATED.  :-\ Epic fail, Liora, epic fail. (I was thinking about my girl-crush on a certain American military general while writing that sentence!)

I watched Top Chef since Season 2 (stopped watching the latest season ever since Richard and Mike I were the last two contestants...I can't stand either one of them!)...watched all the Masters...my other favorite shows are Diners, Drive ins and Dives, Man vs. Food, No Reservations, etc.

You know how some Orthodox complain about Food Network? Yeah, they're talking about people like me.  :) I'm not quite a foodie, because I'm very picky, but I like learning about new combinations and inventing new recipes in the kitchen. It has been harder to watch Man vs. Food during Lent, and I try not to watch it at all! Ugh! Those steaks and burgers! Lord have mercy!

On another note, during my meeting the priest hinted that he had wanted to chrismate me THIS Pascha! I was so shocked. I thought that it wouldn't be a possibility for years. It won't happen for a few different reasons, but I was so shocked to hear that. In a good way.

Back to work. Bo-ring.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Dog Theology:
"You are feeding, you're comforting me, you take care of me, and you give me a home.  You must be God."
Cat Theology:
"You are feeding, you're comforting me, you take care of me, and you give me a home.  I must be God."
;D

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
IsmiLiora said:
I watched Top Chef since Season 2 (stopped watching the latest season ever since Richard and Mike I were the last two contestants...I can't stand either one of them!)...watched all the Masters...my other favorite shows are Diners, Drive ins and Dives, Man vs. Food, No Reservations, etc.
No Reservations is awesome.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Tony Bourdain is a little too much for me at times but I do love him, especially on Top Chef!

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
minasoliman said:
Dog Theology:
"You are feeding, you're comforting me, you take care of me, and you give me a home.  You must be God."
Cat Theology:
"You are feeding, you're comforting me, you take care of me, and you give me a home.  I must be God."
;D
I love it! So true! I'm stealing this as my FB status!

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
minasoliman said:
Dog Theology:
Cat Theology:
;D
No need to steal.  It is given right to you.  (Although I did steal it from a religious talk I was listening too...haha)

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Pork is the meat of kings, and after lent I'll have it with onion rings....

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Take my makeup and all my things, I'll trade it for a bucket of chicken wings.
Pick them all up and throw them in the lake, just give me a piece of t-bone steak.

Okay, I'm drooling over my pathetic poem. I think it's time to go get some salad.

Had a good day at church today! Whoo.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Take my makeup and all my things, I'll trade it for a bucket of chicken wings.
Pick them all up and throw them in the lake, just give me a piece of t-bone steak.

Okay, I'm drooling over my pathetic poem. I think it's time to go get some salad.

Had a good day at church today! Whoo.
Cursed are my stuff, let them all be damned; and increase my joys with that leg of lamb.
And for the sake of my culture, let there be no mere slab; I want plenty and plenty of kofta and kabab.

chrevbel

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Pick them all up and throw them in the lake, just give me a piece of t-bone steak...
I think it's time to go get some salad.
Remember, steak is just processed salad!

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
minasoliman said:
Dog Theology:
Cat Theology:
;D
Wow... :laugh:

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
chrevbel said:
IsmiLiora said:
Pick them all up and throw them in the lake, just give me a piece of t-bone steak...
Hey, I can buy into that...it all depends on your perspective  8)

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
chrevbel said:
IsmiLiora said:
Hey, I can buy into that...it all depends on your perspective  8)
Um, no! Ha ha.

I actually made vegetarian plov (pilau, whatever you want to call it) last night. My husband and I ate a bite, looked at each other and said, "Hm...needs some lamb." (Our running joke. We had veggie burritos last week and said, "Hm...needs some cheese and beef.")

We'll be okay, though. I just have to stop watching Man vs. Food for the next few weeks...