Random Postings

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
IsmiLiora said:
We just got coupons to Steak & Shake in the mail they expire after Pascha! Yay! Cutting them out immediately.  :D

I also got my Mad Men Season 4 DVD in the mail yesterday (the only DVD I've ever pre-ordered...well, besides NCIS Season 7!). Hopefully after work I can watch an episode or two.
My son who is in his last semester of college goes to Mad Men parties. Everyone dress in period clothes as best they can. Thin ties for the guys, lots of makeup and pearls for the Women, etc. Then they all watch the show together when it comes on.
I would love to be in on that! I love the big skirt/crinoline look (Trudy Campbell is my fashion idol  :D) but I think that I would stand out if I wore that anywhere else.

I hate allergies.

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
IsmiLiora said:
Marc1152 said:
IsmiLiora said:
We just got coupons to Steak & Shake in the mail they expire after Pascha! Yay! Cutting them out immediately.  :D

I also got my Mad Men Season 4 DVD in the mail yesterday (the only DVD I've ever pre-ordered...well, besides NCIS Season 7!). Hopefully after work I can watch an episode or two.
My son who is in his last semester of college goes to Mad Men parties. Everyone dress in period clothes as best they can. Thin ties for the guys, lots of makeup and pearls for the Women, etc. Then they all watch the show together when it comes on.
I would love to be in on that! I love the big skirt/crinoline look (Trudy Campbell is my fashion idol  :D) but I think that I would stand out if I wore that anywhere else.

I hate allergies.
Had to look it up. Can't believe there's a Wiki page on "Steak and Shake". We are a pathetic species.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Entscheidungsproblem said:
orthonorm said:
minasoliman said:
Entscheidungsproblem,

What does your avatar symbolize or mean?
http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Independent_Planets

It is just the patch Brown Coats wore in Firefly.
Shiny!
One of the best shows in the 'Verse.
Started watching it last night. It's pretty rutting awesome.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
That person said:
orthonorm said:
minasoliman said:
Entscheidungsproblem,

What does your avatar symbolize or mean?
http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Independent_Planets

It is just the patch Brown Coats wore in Firefly.
Shiny!
One of the best shows in the 'Verse.
Started watching it last night. It's pretty rutting awesome.
Cudda been Whedon best stuff. Watch the series then the movie. Big Whedon fan here (not so much with the Doll House, although the unaired episode which showed where the series would've went showed that perhaps it had some promise. Dushku just ain't the actress who could pull of the range of the role she was cast in though.)

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Dollhouse had some great promise, but I completely agree that Eliza Dushku did not have the acting chops at all. I knew that it was going to fail when we got an intro of Eliza with tank top, Eliza as dominatrix, Eliza naked. She couldn't carry the series on her shoulders, absolutely not.

On the other hand, Enver Gjokaj was A-MA-ZING. When he was Topher? Brilliant acting.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
we got an intro of Eliza with tank top, Eliza as dominatrix, Eliza naked.
I have not heard of this, but you have my attention now!  :p

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Dollhouse had some great promise, but I completely agree that Eliza Dushku did not have the acting chops at all. I knew that it was going to fail when we got an intro of Eliza with tank top, Eliza as dominatrix, Eliza naked. She couldn't carry the series on her shoulders, absolutely not.

On the other hand, Enver Gjokaj was A-MA-ZING. When he was Topher? Brilliant acting.
Yipes, I mistyped. Was just discussing a potential film adaptation of Ibsen's work tonight.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
IsmiLiora said:
I have not heard of this, but you have my attention now!  :p
orthonorm, at first I thought that you meant that Eliza was going to star in a film adaptation of the Doll House and I actually went to check IMDB!  :eek: Thank God that is not happening, ha ha.

And Asteriktos, I know a few male fans of the show who watched just for Eliza, obviously that's why the 1st season intro was just all about her in various stages of undress. I know they are tired of me griping about how her acting skills.  ;D "Shut up and watch the show!!" I HATE bad acting but the story line was intriguing so that did keep me for a bit.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Asteriktos said:
IsmiLiora said:
I have not heard of this, but you have my attention now!  :p
orthonorm, at first I thought that you meant that Eliza was going to star in a film adaptation of the Doll House and I actually went to check IMDB!  :eek: Thank God that is not happening, ha ha.
Can't say much about it. The funding ain't fully secure and most of the players haven't completely committed but she will have nothing to do with it.

She was Faith. And that was good in both series.

I think we are five by five on this one, I.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Watched Jesus Camp with my raised-Pentecostal husband last night and didn't sleep very well at all.  :-\

Even at my most charismatic "peak," I would have never raised my children like that or permitted them to attend such a camp, but I cried last night, wondering why I had stayed so long when I harbored serious doubts from the very beginning -- I was tricked into being saved, and I knew it.

:(

CBGardner

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Watched Jesus Camp with my raised-Pentecostal husband last night and didn't sleep very well at all.  :-\
Usually Christians don't get the benefit of the doubt in movies, but this film I thought was pretty fair. It was entertaining but wouldn't go for a second watch or a recommendation.

I feel similarly cheated at times. That all my life I've been led to believe something was Christianity only to find out it really isn't. And as you said, there are serious issues/red flags the whole way, but what can you do. I thank the Lord that truth wins out in the end.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
CBGardner said:
IsmiLiora said:
Usually Christians don't get the benefit of the doubt in movies, but this film I thought was pretty fair. It was entertaining but wouldn't go for a second watch or a recommendation.

I feel similarly cheated at times. That all my life I've been led to believe something was Christianity only to find out it really isn't. And as you said, there are serious issues/red flags the whole way, but what can you do. I thank the Lord that truth wins out in the end.
Yeah, it was really weird...I usually trash documentaries, but after it ended, my husband and I just looked at each other. Besides from the talking to the cardboard Bush part, we had seen almost every aspect of the movie in our own churches. He said that it reminded him too much of his own upbringing and riled up some anger against his own parents.  :-\

Kind of wish that we didn't watch it, but it opened our eyes even more and I am thanking God constantly that He led me to Orthodoxy. If that's what it had to take, so be it.

Like you said, it hurts because we thought that it was Christianity, but let me tell you, watching those children speaking in tongues, convulsing, and getting red in the face....my body tensed, I felt goosebumps erupt all over my body, and I was just weeping. That didn't look like God to me at all- I couldn't believe that I was there just a few years ago. Yoy.

On a lighter note...I can't think of one. Feels like one of those days where everything is going wrong, spiritually. Lord have mercy.

CBGardner

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
... and I am thanking God constantly that He led me to Orthodoxy. If that's what it had to take, so be it.
Amen!
And may we all finish out lent strong and faithful. Lord have mercy!

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:

Even at my most charismatic "peak," I would have never raised my children like that or permitted them to attend such a camp, but I cried last night, wondering why I had stayed so long when I harbored serious doubts from the very beginning -- I was tricked into being saved, and I knew it.

:(
The past is the past, dear friend. Yesterday is a bounced check, tomorrow is a promissary note. Today is cash...use it!  8)