Random Postings

genesisone

Archon
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
2,906
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
68
Location
Niagara Region, Ontario
Asteriktos said:
What do you mean by "fingers do the typing"?
Where typing skills are such that you don't even think about where the fingers are going. "-ing" at the end of a word is typed almost like a single character, whereas "-ine" takes a bit more thought. If you're thinking about typing the word like "divine", you will almost certainly get it right - but if you're just letting your fingers glide along with little attention to what they're actually doing, "-ing" seems to be the default.

Definitely not the "hunt and peck" system.

I'm old enough that I learned to type on a manual typewriter - yes, the ones that have the moving carriage and a bell that dings as you approach the end of a line and have to return the carriage manually. In the typing classroom, the keys were all blank. Looking down at the fingers was no help whatsoever. Learn the home keys and go from there. A challenge to learn, but it worked. Without wraparound text, we even had to learn syllabification!
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,115
Reaction score
34
Points
48
Age
41
Ahh, ok, I get ya now :) I used to type stuff on my mom's type writer when I was a kid, just for fun, but by the time I needed to learn how to really type they had those new fangled computers in the schools
 

celticfan1888

Archon
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Louisiana
Asteriktos said:
Ahh, ok, I get ya now :) I used to type stuff on my mom's type writer when I was a kid, just for fun, but by the time I needed to learn how to really type they had those new fangled computers in the schools
Man, you boys are old.  :p
 

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 27, 2011
Messages
1,119
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
i'm in barkshar
Website
www.zsl.org
Asteriktos said:
Ahh, ok, I get ya now :) I used to type stuff on my mom's type writer when I was a kid, just for fun, but by the time I needed to learn how to really type they had those new fangled computers in the schools
what is fangled??
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,115
Reaction score
34
Points
48
Age
41
Poppy said:
Asteriktos said:
Ahh, ok, I get ya now :) I used to type stuff on my mom's type writer when I was a kid, just for fun, but by the time I needed to learn how to really type they had those new fangled computers in the schools
what is fangled??
Here it be... :)



Also, this spammer making all these threads is REALLY getting irritating... I wish I could throw the ban hammer down with the force of a thousand gods on it!
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
genesisone said:
Asteriktos said:
What do you mean by "fingers do the typing"?
Where typing skills are such that you don't even think about where the fingers are going. "-ing" at the end of a word is typed almost like a single character, whereas "-ine" takes a bit more thought. If you're thinking about typing the word like "divine", you will almost certainly get it right - but if you're just letting your fingers glide along with little attention to what they're actually doing, "-ing" seems to be the default.
This is made very clear once you begin typing in a new language even if you are fluent in it.

Very frustrating.
 

IsmiLiora

Archon
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
celticfan1888 said:
Asteriktos said:
Ahh, ok, I get ya now :) I used to type stuff on my mom's type writer when I was a kid, just for fun, but by the time I needed to learn how to really type they had those new fangled computers in the schools
Man, you boys are old.  :p
I'm not that old and I still used a typewriter for a couple of years during my childhood!

As a contract transcriber now, I couldn't imagine using a typewriter, the horrors. When I get tired, my accuracy goes downhill really quickly. (I'm talking about falling asleep at the keyboard tired, not basic fatigue, which I always have anyway.)
 

IsmiLiora

Archon
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Sometimes I read the posts on this board and I think, "Ha ha, weirdos, you have no lives!"

But I am actually very jealous of the knowledge that many seem to possess on this board. I know that I've only been a catechumen for about 6 months now, but as always, I have unrealistic expectations of myself. I have a lot of admiration for the way that you all know so much about the faith. Even the inquirers put me to utter shame.


Plus, I've also just realized that I am no good at memorizing facts, and will probably never be that person anyway. Oh, well. God gives different gifts to different people! We can't all be walking encyclopedias. ;)
 

genesisone

Archon
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
2,906
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
68
Location
Niagara Region, Ontario
Poppy said:
Asteriktos said:
Ahh, ok, I get ya now :) I used to type stuff on my mom's type writer when I was a kid, just for fun, but by the time I needed to learn how to really type they had those new fangled computers in the schools
what is fangled??
If computers are "new fangled", then I guess this is "old fangled"  ;D. Don't think nuthin' kin be jus' plain "fangled".
Source
 

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
2,477
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Sunny Southern Cal
Argh! I got home to find our ceiling-mounted fire alarm is beeping, probably because the battery's dead.

And I can't unattach it because my sciatica's acting up and I can't climb the ladder.  So I have to wait till my husband gets home (at least an hour more)!

Meanwhile, our indoor kitty cat is freaking out - and I may join her!!!



Aaagh!!
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
IsmiLiora said:
Sometimes I read the posts on this board and I think, "Ha ha, weirdos, you have no lives!"

But I am actually very jealous of the knowledge that many seem to possess on this board. I know that I've only been a catechumen for about 6 months now, but as always, I have unrealistic expectations of myself. I have a lot of admiration for the way that you all know so much about the faith. Even the inquirers put me to utter shame.


Plus, I've also just realized that I am no good at memorizing facts, and will probably never be that person anyway. Oh, well. God gives different gifts to different people! We can't all be walking encyclopedias. ;)
Stop your self-pity.

Facts just ain't my weapon but wit and willingness to use fiery rhetoric up to physical intimidation to prove peanut butter during fasting is a grave sin. And that is with my Priest. You should see how I behave with the laity. No quarter.

Heart PWNs the head.

You have me beat by light years.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Things Netflix know about me that you probably wouldn't guess . . .

I love their mouthful confabulation of genres they believe you would be interested in.

Ones that I might not care to share, but nonetheless Netflix knows my heart in ways the no person does. After rating over 16k films and TV shows, it sure better.

You might like films from:

Heartfelt Independent Tearjerkers

Teen TV Shows Featuring a Strong Female Lead

Understated Opposites Attract Comedies

Exciting High School TV Shows

Witty TV Shows Featuring a Strong Female Lead


And I had to include one obviously:

Dark Dysfunctional-Family Documentaries

 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Poppy said:
Asteriktos said:
Ahh, ok, I get ya now :) I used to type stuff on my mom's type writer when I was a kid, just for fun, but by the time I needed to learn how to really type they had those new fangled computers in the schools
what is fangled??
Poppy,

Do you create your animated avatars?
 

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
2,477
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Sunny Southern Cal
theistgal said:
Argh! I got home to find our ceiling-mounted fire alarm is beeping, probably because the battery's dead.

And I can't unattach it because my sciatica's acting up and I can't climb the ladder.  So I have to wait till my husband gets home (at least an hour more)!

Meanwhile, our indoor kitty cat is freaking out - and I may join her!!!



Aaagh!!
OK, it's fixed now - oops, there it goes again!!!  :eek:
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
orthonorm said:
Things Netflix know about me that you probably wouldn't guess . . .

I love their mouthful confabulation of genres they believe you would be interested in.

Ones that I might not care to share, but nonetheless Netflix knows my heart in ways the no person does. After rating over 16k films and TV shows, it sure better.

You might like films from:

Heartfelt Independent Tearjerkers

Teen TV Shows Featuring a Strong Female Lead

Understated Opposites Attract Comedies

Exciting High School TV Shows

Witty TV Shows Featuring a Strong Female Lead


And I had to include one obviously:

Dark Dysfunctional-Family Documentaries
Well, I like to think they got this one wrong, but for what its lacks in accuracy (I hope) it makes up for in precision:

Feel-good Coming-of-age Movies for ages 8 to 10
 

IsmiLiora

Archon
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
^ LOL Orthonorm, have you been watching the Bratz movies lately?

I don't have Netflix yet (we're setting it up after we move), but I imagine that my recs might look like this:
-Reality TV show starting vapid women who spend whole day shopping
-Law/cop dramas with little to no backstory of characters
-TV shows/films set in the 1950s
-TV shows about unconventional families
-Medical dramas without the drama
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,169
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
I use Netflix through streaming on the X Box 360 sometimes. The nature films with flyovers of the national parks look really neat in HD.  :)
 

That person

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Dec 11, 2009
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
0
Points
0
orthonorm said:
Things Netflix know about me that you probably wouldn't guess . . .

I love their mouthful confabulation of genres they believe you would be interested in.

Ones that I might not care to share, but nonetheless Netflix knows my heart in ways the no person does. After rating over 16k films and TV shows, it sure better.

You might like films from:

Heartfelt Independent Tearjerkers

Teen TV Shows Featuring a Strong Female Lead

Understated Opposites Attract Comedies

Exciting High School TV Shows

Witty TV Shows Featuring a Strong Female Lead


And I had to include one obviously:

Dark Dysfunctional-Family Documentaries
Hah. I share an account with my sister, so our combined tastes can get some odd results:

Family Feature Animation for ages 11 to 12
Violent Foreign Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Suspenseful Chinese Action & Adventure
Dark Science & Nature Documentaries
Imaginative Space Travel TV Shows
Inspiring Biographical Movies
Exciting Japanese Fantasy
British Talking-Animals Kids' TV
Goofy Cult Mad-Scientist Movies
Historical Documentaries

All right, so none of them are as interesting as yours, but I started posting it and didn't feel like stopping.
 

celticfan1888

Archon
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Louisiana
Just three months after her cousin William, the Queen's granddaughter Zara Phillips, MBE has tied the knot with her boyfriend Mike Tindall, MBE (a pro rugby star who plays for Gloucester Rugby and the England national team).

Royal correspondent Paul Harrison reports.

http://news.sky.com/home/video/16040549
 
Top