Random Postings

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
It doesn't count if half of them are about bacon. :p

Up working again this morning. Work this week has been beyond excruciating. I want to go out and do nothing this weekend, but with Hurricane Irene on the doorstep, looks like we can't do much except join the entire state at Wal-Mart and fight over the last loaf of bread. SIGH.

Reaction score
celticfan1888 said:
Achronos said:
Speaking of this whole marriage thing, my problem is I need 5 women. One to cook, one for sex, one to be the mother of my kids, one to have an intelligent conversation with and the 5th one should be a spare just in case one of the others break down.

So far in my dating experience I met one women who managed to get about 3 of the qualities outlined.
You can get a girl with all of the amazing qualities, trust me, just odds are they'll leave you.  :'(
Solidarity, bro.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Poor boys. Do YOU all know how to cook?

(For the record, I do, but didn't learn until college because my parents thought that I wasn't "capable" of learning home ec-related stuff._

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
deum-quaerens.blogspot.com
IsmiLiora said:
Poor boys. Do YOU all know how to cook?

(For the record, I do, but didn't learn until college because my parents thought that I wasn't "capable" of learning home ec-related stuff._
Yes. My father cooked though, so I learned from him.

I often have to help my wife cook, e.g. "can you come in here and taste this and see what it needs?".

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I would die for some good varenyky, but I am so lazy about making the dough.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Every weekend in the summer I have to cook for 100 people.  The ladies of the church take the summer off, so, I take over the kitchen duties. I don't people to get out of the habit that they can come to the hall and get some food, and sit and chat.

So, every Saturday during the summer months, I make borsch (beet, tomatoe, onion, beef stock, veggie, cabbage....soup), varenyki (potatoe dumplings) smothered in carmelized onions and sour cream, plus a dessert - sometimes cherry or apple pie, sometimes poppy log, sometimes cheesecake....whatever mood I am in!

Come on over!

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
When I was in Ukraine, everyone I dined with ate their varenyky smothered in mayo (or mayo mixed with ketchup). Dis-gusting!

I will happily join for some of the green borshch and the dumplings. And the kovbasa is very delicious over there.

AveChriste11

High Elder
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Every weekend in the summer I have to cook for 100 people.  The ladies of the church take the summer off, so, I take over the kitchen duties. I don't people to get out of the habit that they can come to the hall and get some food, and sit and chat.

So, every Saturday during the summer months, I make borsch (beet, tomatoe, onion, beef stock, veggie, cabbage....soup), varenyki (potatoe dumplings) smothered in carmelized onions and sour cream, plus a dessert - sometimes cherry or apple pie, sometimes poppy log, sometimes cheesecake....whatever mood I am in!

Come on over!
wow Liza, if I'm ever in Detroit - I'm gonna have to come visit you.. lol just based on your cooking alone..

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
LOL!

There's nothing to it!  

It's just hard until you figure out how much of what to put in.  Then it becomes simple repetition.

I'm so used to making a huge pot of borsch, that if I had to make just enough for my mom and myself, I think I would still make the huge pot!

Last week we had our church picnic.  

We had the kovbasa (sausage) and kapysta (sourkraut) and perijki (meat pastries).  The perijki were fun to make.  It's a yeast dough that you wrap around a mixture of ground (by hand so it's fine) beef and pork, mixed with spices and fried onions (all cooked and then wrapped in dough).  They are then left to rise into these glorious shiny orbs....then dunked in boiling oil and deep fried to a cripsy goodness!

Mmmmm....  tasty!

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
AveChriste11 said:
LizaSymonenko said:

Come on over!
wow Liza, if I'm ever in Detroit - I'm gonna have to come visit you.. lol just based on your cooking alone..
LOL!  Come on over!

I'll give you a tour of Motown!

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
LOL!

There's nothing to it!  

It's just hard until you figure out how much of what to put in.  Then it becomes simple repetition.

I'm so used to making a huge pot of borsch, that if I had to make just enough for my mom and myself, I think I would still make the huge pot!

Last week we had our church picnic.  

We had the kovbasa (sausage) and kapysta (sourkraut) and perijki (meat pastries).  The perijki were fun to make.  It's a yeast dough that you wrap around a mixture of ground (by hand so it's fine) beef and pork, mixed with spices and fried onions (all cooked and then wrapped in dough).  They are then left to rise into these glorious shiny orbs....then dunked in boiling oil and deep fried to a cripsy goodness!

Mmmmm....  tasty!
Liza you have now embarrassed what I have been deprived of my whole life.

I need to make a pilgrimage to Detroit ASAP.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
It's raining Saturday, but, Sunday promises to be sunny!

If you wait a week, we'll have our Jazz Festival downtown!