• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
If you go the blade route, I would say you are a step ahead with a safety razor, make sure you use real shaving cream and keep that scalp hot while you are at it.
If you change cream to soap and brush, that's how I shave my beard when I don't use an electric razor. The latter one I use when I feel too lazy or tired to do proper kind of shaving.

I'd like to go for a real barber but it seems so expensive after ten years or so of not having any need to do that. Having long hair had it's benefits as I saved barber expenses. I'm trying to do without also now that I don't have long hair anymore. Beard shave with a straight blade on the other hand sounds like a nice idea. There's a barber near me that offers that. I need to pay a visit there at some point.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
ZealousZeal said:
J Michael said:
Had to stifle my gag reflex when I saw that.  Do people really still drink that crap?!?!?!?!?  If you don't want "alcoholy" don't drink alcohol.  Fruit juice is nice.  Water, too.  Tea, anybody? ;D
I always assumed people drank Boone's Farm until they turned 21 and could get their hands on better alcohol.
I just thought it was what high school girls drank.
That is a distinct possibility. Although as a former high school girl, I drank a lot more Smirnoff Ice than Boone's Farm. :p

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
orthonorm said:
If you go the blade route, I would say you are a step ahead with a safety razor, make sure you use real shaving cream and keep that scalp hot while you are at it.
If you change cream to soap and brush, that's how I shave my beard when I don't use an electric razor. The latter one I use when I feel too lazy or tired to do proper kind of shaving.

I'd like to go for a real barber but it seems so expensive after ten years or so of not having any need to do that. Having long hair had it's benefits as I saved barber expenses. I'm trying to do without also now that I don't have long hair anymore. Beard shave with a straight blade on the other hand sounds like a nice idea. There's a barber near me that offers that. I need to pay a visit there at some point.
What's a trip to the barber set you back in Finnish or wherever you are?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
It depends on the barber and what kind of service you want. I believe the most common price for men is 20€ if you don't want anything special and don't mind going to bad barber. The one I considered before buying a trimmer was 45€. I guess that wouldn't be anyhow impossible amount either if I had proper income and if I wasn't as stingy as I am.

What does it cost around there?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Alpo said:
It depends on the barber and what kind of service you want. I believe the most common price for men is 20€ if you don't want anything special and don't mind going to bad barber. The one I considered before buying a trimmer was 45€. I guess that wouldn't be anyhow impossible amount either if I had proper income and if I wasn't as stingy as I am.

What does it cost around there?
Sounds like salon prices.  A reasonable haircut would be about 15€, although in my university's small town there was an old barbershop and the old man charged only $10 (so, 7.38€) for an excellent haircut.  He used a straight razor and everything.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
IIRC somewhere here is a Turkish barber who offers cheap haircut with a straight razor. I'd try that one but I fear I might end up lookin like a kebab cook with way too much hair wax.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Just met this girl from Portland. Then when she told me her name is Forest I understood why she was born there.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
IIRC somewhere here is a Turkish barber who offers cheap haircut with a straight razor. I'd try that one but I fear I might end up lookin like a kebab cook with way too much hair wax.
Don't go bald, Alpo. It's way too cold in Scandinavia.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Already did that. I also bought a calypso cap and a pea coat. Those who say that money doesn't bring happiness are simply wrong.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Already did that. I also bought a calypso cap and a pea coat. Those who say that money doesn't bring happiness are simply wrong.
Around here it sems like pea coats went out of fashion at least compared to how things used to be a few years ago. Anyways I permanently ruined mine by riding through the salty slosh on the street without a fender .

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I don't think they are particularly fashionable around here either. I don't follow fashion so it doesn't really matter. I just thought that it would be nice to have a somewhat conservative mens' winter coat which is short and not too casual but not too formal either. Pea coats fits to that description.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
You'll look as if you're homeless with a calypso cap.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Nope. More like a hipster or an old-fashioned worker.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
J Michael said:
Had to stifle my gag reflex when I saw that.  Do people really still drink that crap?!?!?!?!?  If you don't want "alcoholy" don't drink alcohol.  Fruit juice is nice.  Water, too.  Tea, anybody? ;D
I always assumed people drank Boone's Farm until they turned 21 and could get their hands on better alcohol.
How I pity the American youth.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
I passionately hate doge. Thanks, Eastern Mind, for bringing that annoyance to OCnet.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
What would happen if you mixed up some concrete and drank a liter of it?  That seems like it could be trouble...  ???

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
What would happen if you mixed up some concrete and drank a liter of it?  That seems like it could be trouble...  ???
I don't know. It couldn't be any good, though.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
J Michael said:
Asteriktos said:
That would be a pretty stupid thing to do, unless you were attempting suicide.
It would probably taste like those weight loss shakes.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:
ZealousZeal said:
Cyrillic said:
How I pity the American youth.
As well you should.
Heh. Out here, the youth tend to be drunker than their elders.
If "last" is synonymous with "final", you must be in outer space.  How'd you get there, and how'd they (you know, the drunken youth and their elders) get there?  And...how's the weather...? ;D ;D

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
I passionately hate doge. Thanks, Eastern Mind, for bringing that annoyance to OCnet.
I'll file doge under a non-meme meme I don't know about.

And when I control everything, the only people who will be killed for saying or writing anything will be those who say or write:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Because it would be funny and usually those who say that nonsense, ain't never gonna be the person who suffers a paper cut for someone to get some food, much less lay down their life for someone to say something.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
And when I control everything, the only people who will be killed for saying or writing anything will be those who say or write:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Because it would be funny and usually those who say that nonsense, ain't never gonna be the person who suffers a paper cut for someone to get some food, much less lay down their life for someone to say something.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
orthonorm said:

Will you defend to the death also things I say that you approve of?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Cyrillic said:
orthonorm said:

Will you defend to the death also things I say that you approve of?
That would depend on my mood.

You shouldn't take quotes too seriously and cheer up.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
A Bing translation of a wiki article:

Lars Thunberg

Lars Thunberg, born 1928- 2007, Dr., Assoc. Professor of theology in Uppsala and Århus, writer, poet.

Thunberg has authored three hymns in the 1986 book of hymns: No. 163 built On suffering is God's Church, 192 Now drops the noise as well as 425 Passage dimensions has been filled to the brink.
I'm not sure which hymn I'd like to hear more, "Now drops the noise" or "Passage dimensions has been filled to the brink"  ;D

brastaseptim

High Elder
Reaction score
And today we commemorate the feast of Ivan, Ivan, George, Vasil, and Ivan the (altar-boy) New-Martyrs, who died courageously in the service of God due to suffocation from incense smoke.

"We implore Thee O Lord for the sake of the sufferings of Thy saints, Ivan, Ivan, Ivan, George and Vasil,/ which they endured on Thy behalf,/ show compassion unto us,/ and heal all or infirmities, O Lover of mankind."

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” ~Winston Churchill

“The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.” ~James Branch Cabell

(Thanks to Cyrillic for the inspiration  ;).)

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
J Michael said:
“When things are at their blackest, I say to myself, 'Cheer up, things could be worse.' And sure enough, they get worse.”
― Robert Lynn Asprin
Are you sure you're not a Finn? You certainly sound like one.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
J Michael said:
Alpo said:
J Michael said:
“When things are at their blackest, I say to myself, 'Cheer up, things could be worse.' And sure enough, they get worse.”
― Robert Lynn Asprin
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Finland's suicide rate is top 10 or top 20 in the world.  Depends on how you look at that information and what you decide to do with it.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
J Michael said:
Alpo said:
J Michael said:
― Robert Lynn Asprin
Finland's suicide rate is top 10 or top 20 in the world.  Depends on how you look at that information and what you decide to do with it.
Is it the proximity to Russia that accounts for that?

“The man who is a pessimist before 48 knows too much; if he is an optimist after it he knows too little.”
― Mark Twain

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
J Michael said:
Alpo said:
J Michael said:
― Robert Lynn Asprin
We're professionals in finding a downside in everything.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Alpo said:
hecma925 said:
J Michael said:
Alpo said:
J Michael said:
― Robert Lynn Asprin
Even suicide?  Couldn't get to the top 3?

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Alpo said:
hecma925 said:
J Michael said:
Alpo said:
J Michael said:
― Robert Lynn Asprin
Everybody's gotta be good at something.  8)