• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
If someone said they were going to [do that] to my girlfriend/wife in real life I'd punch them in the face.
Meh, I'd just laugh and walk away. I wouldn't risk having the law on me seeing that I'm Mexican.

Anyone that would get this offended over something said on the internet is kinda bizarre to me. I've endured far worse in the cyber world and I've never asked for sympathy or ran away.

It's the internet for crying out loud

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Hi everyone. For clarification purposes, I did not leave because I was offended by what Shiny said. I left because I did not want to further escalate things and and need time to figure out how to be a more positive contributing member to the forum. I had no desire to see Shiny banned and I hope that perhaps he will be allowed to return if/when the mods feel it is appropriate. I thought Shiny added much entertainment value to the forum.

I did not reach out to anyone for counseling, handholding, sympathy or anything else.  Several people have PMed me inquiries and I responded. If anyone else wants to better understand why I did what I did, they can PM me as I still check the forum on occasion.  Or you can criticize my failings as you perceive them.  Whichever, it doesn't make a huge difference to me.  :)

Trig out.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Hi everyone. For clarification purposes, I did not leave because I was offended by what Shiny said. I left because I did not want to further escalate things and and need time to figure out how to be a more positive contributing member to the forum. I had no desire to see Shiny banned and I hope that perhaps he will be allowed to return if/when the mods feel it is appropriate. I thought Shiny added much entertainment value to the forum.
I thought that wudda been your stance, but everyone, LBK who thinks she is everyone, was saying otherwise. Glad to have flushed you out to set matters straight.

LBK, you lose yet again.

What sign would you have me do next? I made the mute speak to show you are incorrect, what else must I accomplish?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:

I did not reach out to anyone for counseling, handholding, sympathy or anything else.  Several people have PMed me inquiries and I responded. If anyone else wants to better understand why I did what I did, they can PM me as I still check the forum on occasion.  Or you can criticize my failings as you perceive them.  Whichever, it doesn't make a huge difference to me.  :)

Trig out.
Not that you care, but I told shiny as much when I saw your post, which seemed to me to be more introspective than vindictive and he agreed. But others had to be shown different, though they were in contact with you while I haven't ever exchanged more than a post with you, I think.

Best of luck.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:

Trig out.
Nice to hear from you. Good luck with your endeavors.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by LBK being wrong, I didn't read far back enough to decipher that, but Shiny's post was the trigger for me to withdraw from the forum.  In that way, I mean, I felt it was both of our faults.  I knew I would get a rise out of him when I posted what I did, I just didn't realize it was going to escalate to that extent. Once that happened, I figured if I did not quit posting, I was going to get both of us banned.  I had hoped that perhaps the thread was hid quickly enough that the issue could just be smoothed over and everyone get put on moderated status for awhile and then it would be over.  That didn't happen unfortunately.  :(

I will emphasize that I think the moderators were put in a very difficult situation.  I do not envy their position and regardless of what action that took, they were going to be criticized. I think all of them that were involved did their very best to curtail further inflammation and hard feelings.  In that, I think they did the best they could and I commend them for it.

I once again apologize for my involvement and if Shiny still lurks, I hope he is willing to accept my apology for my role in the matter. I don't harbor any ill feelings towards anyone here.

Ok, I think this will be my last post, otherwise, I'll get drawn back into posting and I don't want to do that yet.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Ansgar said:
Are you quoting Assasin's Creed because you think it's true or because it sounds cool?
I'm appealing to a popular culture reference because I believe that the timeless message within it applies in this case. Once the offender becomes the judge then there is no longer any "truth" because no offender will ever admit to their guilt or offense; it all becomes permitted as they will constantly change it in order to excuse their own violations of it. This to me appeared to be the end result of the poster's logical chain.
Alrighty then.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Ansgar said:
JamesR said:
Ansgar said:
Are you quoting Assasin's Creed because you think it's true or because it sounds cool?
I'm appealing to a popular culture reference because I believe that the timeless message within it applies in this case. Once the offender becomes the judge then there is no longer any "truth" because no offender will ever admit to their guilt or offense; it all becomes permitted as they will constantly change it in order to excuse their own violations of it. This to me appeared to be the end result of the poster's logical chain.
Alrighty then.
So it wasn't just me...

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Ansgar said:
JamesR said:
Ansgar said:
Alrighty then.
So it wasn't just me...
What?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Severian said:
I was going to make a joke by combining your name with the nickname of Sidney Crosby (#87), but that would have probably just fallen flat.  8)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Speaking of, I thought the Penguins game came on at 8 and I missed it, and only just now realized that it has a 10:30 start time and I'll get to listen to the whole thing.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I need to get a car so I can start college. I graduated HS a semester early and so this college stuff has caught me unprepared.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
I need to get a car so I can start college. I graduated HS a semester early and so this college stuff has caught me unprepared.
What are you gonna study?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Why do you need a car? Is public transporting that bad around you?

IoanC

Archon
Reaction score
JamesR said:
How did you finish a semester early?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Just downloaded a King James Bible for my tablet for free. As much as I like actual books I am fascinated by the fact that I can have books for free just in few seconds. My apartment is fairly small and it's already filled with books and other stuff so I probably shouldn't buy actual books anymore or at least get rid of some of the old ones.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
JamesR said:
Masters in English with a focus in Composition

Economic suicide? Certainly. But at least I'll be learning something I enjoy. I don't need wealth to be happy.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
augustin717 said:
JamesR said:

Economic suicide? Certainly. But at least I'll be learning something I enjoy. I don't need wealth to be happy.
You'll make a good barista ;)

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
JamesR said:
It's actually quite well in the Bay Area but my family won't let me use it because they're worried I'll get shot or something.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
IoanC said:
JamesR said:
How did you finish a semester early?
I did Independent Study for about a year and I was able to work at my own pace and power through most of my required work, completing my graduation requirements earlier than expected.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Alpo said:
JamesR said:
It's actually quite well in the Bay Area but my family won't let me use it because they're worried I'll get shot or something.
I remember the Bart. Pretty good, but really stuffy, funky smell inside. That thick, old upholstery.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Alpo said:
JamesR said:
You are much more likely to die or get injured in car wreck. But parents . . . what are you gonna do? Wish I had something like the BART.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
JamesR said:
augustin717 said:
JamesR said:

You'll make a good barista ;)
I'd love to be a barista. I since I'm hopefully completing my MA some day I'll have proper kind of education too.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I just spilled a large glass of diet Sunkist soda all over my floor and printer. HUMBUG!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
If you are dialing a phone number within the same area code you do not have to dial the area code at the beginning of the call, otherwise you do.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
For a week now I've been wondering why my closet smelled like perfume. I just realized that I apparently bought scented garbage bags.  :D

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
If you are dialing a phone number within the same area code you do not have to dial the area code at the beginning of the call, otherwise you do.
Not true here. Ten digit dialling is required. There are overlapping area codes. My wife and I have cell phones (no land line) and we have different area codes. She's 905 and I'm 289.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Are there any others out thee that don't give a fig about the super duper bowl? Once I'm done wih laundry gotta find myself sonething to do that doesn't involve sitting in front of a screen . Perhaps go for a walk and smoke

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
Are there any others out thee that don't give a fig about the super duper bowl? Once I'm done wih laundry gotta find myself sonething to do that doesn't involve sitting in front of a screen . Perhaps go for a walk and smoke
Sounds great. I am "working" and it is playing in the background as noise and stuff to laugh at. I haven't seen nor heard a Superbowl in a few decades.

The stuff I am doing requires a lot of "distraction" for me to concentrate. Smoke one for me, it's been a while and I would love one right now. Like really love one.

The queerest thing about the Superbowl (which fuels the entire US economy) is the obsession with the commercials and the build up to them.

Oh well, we'll see how the commercial interrupting Medical Procedural Drama turns out.

If case anyone is wondering, I am backing the officiating team.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I have long been baffled by people who say, "I only watch it for the commercials" as if that makes them more intelligent than the people who watch it for the football.