• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
I have long been baffled by people who say, "I only watch it for the commercials" as if that makes them more intelligent than the people who watch it for the football.
That's the dumbest reason, especially in the Internet age.  You can pull up the compilation of broadcast commercials even before kickoff.  I like watching it for the football and the beer I get to enjoy.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
I have long been baffled by people who say, "I only watch it for the commercials" as if that makes them more intelligent than the people who watch it for the football.
Sounds a bit like "I only read it for the articles". Since it seems to be commonly (not always, of course) women who say that, what are they really looking at?  ;) ;) ;)

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
genesisone said:
Iconodule said:
Sounds a bit like "I only read it for the articles". Since it seems to be commonly (not always, of course) women who say that, what are they really looking at?  ;) ;) ;)
Well, if you're talking about a certain magazine that I think you are talking about, then women are just looking at padded up football players bending over.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
"The emperor, lord Manuel Comnenus,
upon a melancholy September day,
felt that his end was near. The astrologers
(those who were paid a stipend at the court)
prated of many years still left to him.
While these, however, were discoursing, he —
remembering pious customs of the past —
sends to the monks and gets him from the cells
ecclesiastical habiliments,
and puts them on rejoicing to present
the modest aspect of a priest or monk.

Happy are all they that reverently believe,
and, like the emperor lord Manuel, end
apparelled in their faith decorously."

-C.P Cavafy, Manuel Comnenus (tr. Keeley)
Nobody got the hint  :)

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
look at those people going crazy over that coke commercial .

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
This local Super Bowl ad featured an Orthodox Church, in addition to generally being freaking rad. So if you lived in the Savannah, Georgia area, it'd probably be worth watching the Super Bowl for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2gdPY-88w

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
That person said:
This local Super Bowl ad featured an Orthodox Church, in addition to generally being freaking rad. So if you lived in the Savannah, Georgia area, it'd probably be worth watching the Super Bowl for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2gdPY-88w
When I saw it on facebook and first started watching it I thought it was going to be for a TV show... but good on him... I think?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
When I saw it on facebook and first started watching it I thought it was going to be for a TV show... but good on him... I think?
His career must still be pretty lucrative to afford a Super Bowl spot.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
That person said:
I'm not sure if "freaking rad" is what comes to my mind. I mean, I enjoyed watching it but I would not feel safe trusting this man with legal matters.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
That person said:
I'm not sure if "freaking rad" is what comes to my mind. I mean, I enjoyed watching it but I would not feel safe trusting this man with legal matters.
Basically, don't trust any lawyer that advertises.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
orthonorm said:
Cyrillic said:
Is high school that bad?
He does say he wishes he could go to Syria . . . maybe so.
I never said that. Here's what I actually said:

Severian said:
[...]So much so, that a part of me wants to go to Syria myself to fight the terrorists who brutally murder our brothers and sisters in Christ and destroy our Holy sites. Obviously, this is not a practical solution and neither is hatred[...]
I can barely run two laps in gym, so I think fighting in a war is a bit above my paygrade. :laugh:

That being said, though, it's a shame I didn't get a chance to go before the conflict.

Peace

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Severian said:
orthonorm said:
Cyrillic said:
Is high school that bad?
He does say he wishes he could go to Syria . . . maybe so.
I never said that. Here's what I actually said:

Severian said:
[...]So much so, that a part of me wants to go to Syria myself to fight the terrorists who brutally murder our brothers and sisters in Christ and destroy our Holy sites. Obviously, this is not a practical solution and neither is hatred[...]
I can barely run two laps in gym, so I think fighting in a war is a bit above my paygrade. :laugh:

That being said, though, it's a shame I didn't get a chance to go before the conflict.

Peace
Dude, take a joke. When I was your age I would've taken a flight to Syria to avoid high school in a moment. It's how wars are carried out: on the stupidity of young men. Maybe you are wise before your years.

Maybe one of the war historians can bring up a major war fought primarily by men over the age of 30.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
orthonorm said:
Dude, take a joke.
I did. And I responded to your joke with a(n) (admittedly, rather lame) joke. The heated rhetoric at the beginning was just a bit of residual from our previous discussions.

orthonorm said:
When I was your age I would've taken a flight to Syria to avoid high school in a moment.
Yeah, at least in Syria you know who's shooting at you. In American high schools, the gunmen can be anywhere from this guy to this guy.

orthonorm said:
It's how wars are carried out: on the stupidity of young men.
Not to mention the greed and hubris of old men.

orthonorm said:
Maybe you are wise before your years.
Probably, but what's your point?

orthonorm said:
Maybe one of the war historians can bring up a major war fought primarily by men over the age of 30.
This one:

IoanC

Archon
Reaction score
The reason I don't seem to give any signs of stopping is cause I keep going on. And on and on.

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Silence,Earthling. My name is Darth Vader. I come from planet Vulcan. If you do not go out with Lorraine I will melt your brains out.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
Rate the phronema:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages-from-creationists-to-people-who-believe-in-evolutio
As I read through them I thought for sure that, at the end, it was going to say that it was all a joke and that the people in the pics were actually evolutionists caricaturing creationists. If only...

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
Rate the phronema:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages-from-creationists-to-people-who-believe-in-evolutio
LOL! I thought this was created by some meme generator.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
NicholasMyra said:
Rate the phronema:

As I read through them I thought for sure that, at the end, it was going to say that it was all a joke and that the people in the pics were actually evolutionists caricaturing creationists. If only...
Some things are too stupid to satire. Which is why I don't get The Daily Show or Colbert.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
rakovsky said:
0COPR O;   BNR JEI[ EHIO RORDIOREOP
МВКЮЬЧ МОШКОЩ К ЗКЗ4МЩ9Ы5КИЩКЪЦЕ40  И9УМ9+А460ЕТО

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
The referee above was showing him that he failed to carry a parrot on his right arm. You can see the disappointment on his face.

This player however succeeded in following the instructions:

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
rakovsky said:
The referee above was showing him that he failed to carry a parrot on his right arm. You can see the disappointment on his face.

This player however succeeded in following the instructions:
That would be Edwin Encarnation, of the Toronto Blue Jays and a 1st baseman

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Orion can kiss my butt! :mad: On Thursday and Friday nights the hunter dropped 6-12 inches of snow on us. Now he's pelting us with freezing rain. OY VE!

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Orion can kiss my butt! :mad: On Thursday and Friday nights the hunter dropped 6-12 inches of snow on us. Now he's pelting us with freezing rain. OY VE!
And it's dry a few hours north. Sorry you got all of it. 

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Many a Canadian, especially Manitobans, would laugh mightily at your complaint.  ;)

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LBK said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Many a Canadian, especially Manitobans, would laugh mightily at your complaint.  ;)
Of course they would! :laugh: We don't get snow storms like this but once every 5-7 years, and it's been 10 years since we've had an ice storm like tonight's. Imagine Phoenix, Arizona, getting 4 inches of rained dumped on them in one day. It's kinda like that.