Random Postings

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
IsmiLiora said:
Wait, I forgot my ultimate brag for this weekend: I actually shot a X (on the paper "human" targets) from 50 feet away. I am keeping the paper for posterity. I am too much of a lady to reveal that my other shots were wildly inconsistent, although half of them were kill shots. (The guys were laughing at me and saying that I sounded like the people giving commentaries on "Deadliest Warrior." Yeah, probably.)


Okay, now I gotta get off this board and start working! OC.net, why can't I quit you?
Put a shot on the X at 50'?  With a pistol?  If so you are beating me.  I can't hit a bullseye at 20' let along 50', though with the Peacemaker I can get all into the head at 20'.  Now, with the AK I can do bullseyes at 20' and with the Mosin at 50'.
 

IsmiLiora

Archon
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
vamrat said:
IsmiLiora said:
Wait, I forgot my ultimate brag for this weekend: I actually shot a X (on the paper "human" targets) from 50 feet away. I am keeping the paper for posterity. I am too much of a lady to reveal that my other shots were wildly inconsistent, although half of them were kill shots. (The guys were laughing at me and saying that I sounded like the people giving commentaries on "Deadliest Warrior." Yeah, probably.)


Okay, now I gotta get off this board and start working! OC.net, why can't I quit you?
Put a shot on the X at 50'?  With a pistol?  If so you are beating me.  I can't hit a bullseye at 20' let along 50', though with the Peacemaker I can get all into the head at 20'.  Now, with the AK I can do bullseyes at 20' and with the Mosin at 50'.
I was shooting a .22 rifle, not a pistol. I don't know what the pistol was (.46, .48? They were all clamoring after the first shot, telling me that I shouldn't have taken my first shot with that handgun -- I REALLY missed but I wanted to get my first shot off because I was so nervous). There was a scope but it wasn't too great because of my glasses. I have a hard time seeing through binoculars or scopes in general with my glasses on, so I tried to aim it in the general direction to shoot.

I wish I had contacts again...I wonder if that would make a difference.

I'm pretty sure it was a lucky shot, though.  :laugh: But some of the others were also close to the X, so it wasn't completely a fluke.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
IsmiLiora said:
vamrat said:
IsmiLiora said:
Wait, I forgot my ultimate brag for this weekend: I actually shot a X (on the paper "human" targets) from 50 feet away. I am keeping the paper for posterity. I am too much of a lady to reveal that my other shots were wildly inconsistent, although half of them were kill shots. (The guys were laughing at me and saying that I sounded like the people giving commentaries on "Deadliest Warrior." Yeah, probably.)


Okay, now I gotta get off this board and start working! OC.net, why can't I quit you?
Put a shot on the X at 50'?  With a pistol?  If so you are beating me.  I can't hit a bullseye at 20' let along 50', though with the Peacemaker I can get all into the head at 20'.  Now, with the AK I can do bullseyes at 20' and with the Mosin at 50'.
I was shooting a .22 rifle, not a pistol. I don't know what the pistol was (.46, .48? They were all clamoring after the first shot, telling me that I shouldn't have taken my first shot with that handgun -- I REALLY missed but I wanted to get my first shot off because I was so nervous). There was a scope but it wasn't too great because of my glasses. I have a hard time seeing through binoculars or scopes in general with my glasses on, so I tried to aim it in the general direction to shoot.

I wish I had contacts again...I wonder if that would make a difference.

I'm pretty sure it was a lucky shot, though.  :laugh: But some of the others were also close to the X, so it wasn't completely a fluke.
.22's are a good gun to learn on.  You don't get a flinch that way.  I shot a few guns when I was young, but when I really started learning I started on a .38 special and the 7.62x54R Mosin rifle.  After that nothing ever kicks again.

Did they try teaching you to shoot on a .45?  Ugh.  When I took my gf out shooting back in the day she used a .22 then a .38.  She was scared on the Tokarev so never fired that.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,117
Reaction score
35
Points
48
Age
41
Yet another night slowly passes, with me wanting to go to bed, but still staying up "just 2 more minutes" to see if there are any new posts. Of course 2 minutes becomes 20 minutes before I realise it...
 

IsmiLiora

Archon
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
I'm getting sleepy......very sleepy.....


My sinuses and throat hate me today. I also feel like I have a fever. Husband keeps tell me to take the day off, but I feel like I can never do that. Cutting my workload in half should really help, though...
 

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
4,790
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Brazil
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
True story.

Last Saturday my friend made a Halloween themed 10-year-old birthday party for her daughter. I know Halloween is far away, but her daughter wanted a Halloween party so...

Well, since last year I play the "monster" of the party. It's like the clown that goes to entertain the kids only that it's a spawn of darkness bent on destroying their bodies and souls. And they think it's fun.

Last year I was a brain-eating zombie and this year I was Count Zecula, uncle of Edward. Interestingly, when I claimed I wanted to drink all their blood and turn them into vampires the kids were more then happy to offer necks and wrists. That was sort of a turn off. I thought then, what horrible threat I could make to scare them. Actually that was the whole point of the thing, they wanted me to run after then, but it needed a good excuse. Then I got it. I said that I wanted a bride to go back with me to Transylvania to marry me and a slave to work for me - I had to scare both girls and boys after all. *That* worked.

So, that's the lesson of the weekend about the younger generations: sell your soul to the infernal forces of darkness in exchange for being a glamourous and powerful undead? H**l, yeah! Marriage and work? Run for you lives!

By the way, after about an hour of running, three little girls decided they actually wanted to marry the vampire. There was a small cemetary in the garden and one of the boys was the priest. The unholly alliance was celebrated there and right after the "yeses" the "wives" started demanding that I had to cook, iron, do the laundry and do all the chores. Besides, if we were moving to Transyvalnia, they would not accept economic class for the trip (they actually said this!) but only the richest one. And I'd better cut their nails(!), comb their hairs and obey them or they would divorce me and take my money (yep, they also said this!)
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,117
Reaction score
35
Points
48
Age
41
celticfan1888 said:
That's atrocious.
And with that comment you unwittingly speak of the perversity that resides in your deepest being.
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
Powers Boothe is one of the most underrated actors in the world. Anyone that can play the roles of Jim Jones (Guyana Tragedy), Alexander Haig (Nixon), Curly Bill (Tombstone) and a gay hankerchief salesman (Cruising) deserves props!



Selam
 

IsmiLiora

Archon
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
vamrat said:
.22's are a good gun to learn on.  You don't get a flinch that way.  I shot a few guns when I was young, but when I really started learning I started on a .38 special and the 7.62x54R Mosin rifle.  After that nothing ever kicks again.

Did they try teaching you to shoot on a .45?  Ugh.  When I took my gf out shooting back in the day she used a .22 then a .38.  She was scared on the Tokarev so never fired that.
That was the good thing about .22s. I was deathly afraid with the recoil in any gun, but they assured me that the .22 was really easy to handle, and it was. Mr. Ismi and the other guys were firing these insane shotguns and stumbling back when they first shot slugs. They said it wasn't TOO bad, but there was no way I was shooting that as a first-timer!

The handgun was somewhere close to a .50, they told me. But like I said, the owner thought that I was kidding about never having fired a gun before. Thank goodness I was very careful about it! I was worried all day that I was going to pull a Dick Cheney or shoot my foot off.

Finally, feeling a bit better. Whoo.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
IsmiLiora said:
vamrat said:
.22's are a good gun to learn on.  You don't get a flinch that way.  I shot a few guns when I was young, but when I really started learning I started on a .38 special and the 7.62x54R Mosin rifle.  After that nothing ever kicks again.

Did they try teaching you to shoot on a .45?  Ugh.  When I took my gf out shooting back in the day she used a .22 then a .38.  She was scared on the Tokarev so never fired that.
That was the good thing about .22s. I was deathly afraid with the recoil in any gun, but they assured me that the .22 was really easy to handle, and it was. Mr. Ismi and the other guys were firing these insane shotguns and stumbling back when they first shot slugs. They said it wasn't TOO bad, but there was no way I was shooting that as a first-timer!

The handgun was somewhere close to a .50, they told me. But like I said, the owner thought that I was kidding about never having fired a gun before. Thank goodness I was very careful about it! I was worried all day that I was going to pull a Dick Cheney or shoot my foot off.

Finally, feeling a bit better. Whoo.
Probably (hopefully) not a .50.  .45 is "close" but still.  I've held a .50 Desert Eagle, but that's as cool as I ever want to get!

I took one of the ladies at work and her husband shooting once.  That was a harrowing experience.  I let her shoot a .357 Magnum with .38s loaded since it would have low recoil.  What I did not take into consideration was that the gun was big for MY hands.  She could barely hold the thing.  Then she fired it and dropped it.  I caught it before it hit (frankly I would rather have gotten shot than have such a beautiful gun hit the floor).  Her husband was firing cowboy style until I begged him to stop (hold gun with arm at 90 degree angle, cock with finger near enough to trigger that it could be on, THEN aim downrange).  I always wondered how the ceiling at the range had gotten holes in it...

My girlfriend was much less harrowing.  She fired a .22 revolver first, then graduated to the .38 special.  She outright refused to fire "the guns where the bullet comes out the top" meaning an automatic.  And also did not want to fire the AK-47 because "they are scary and kick too much".  Then some 12-year old comes out while we were packing up and starts talking excitedly to his friend "dad let me fire the AK. It was awesome!  It didn't kick at all!"  Smug smile - engage.

Last shooting story, then I will stop hogging the random postings with random gun stories...  Shotguns kick.  Alot.  But their recoil is manageable when you have the proper motivation...like impressing girls.  My buddy and I were out shooting at the range and this pink-shirted fellow comes in, dragging his girlfriend along.  She sat in the back bored out of her wits while he made her watch him plinking away with his .22 then his 9mm.  I had my dad's 3-1/2" Magnum shotgun with slug barrel on so I could test the sights...and was putting it off as long as I could.  I decided she could use some excitement so I pulled it out and very visibly got out the ammo - the shells are shiny red plastic and longer and thicker than a normal man's finger.  She was just goggle-eyed when she saw the shells.  I gave her a wink and then unloaded the thing down range - all five rounds in about as many seconds.  I am not entirely sure if I hit the target or not, and I think my heart stopped once or twice...but I didn't fall over.  Packed up and left with the angry scowl of her boyfriend following me out.  Then I got into the hallway and died.  Moral of the story is, don't shoot a gun to look cool, and if you do, for Charlton Heston's sake don't use a .22 or a 9mm!  The guy next to you might have a 12 ga. 3-1/2" Magnum with slugs.
 
Top