• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
"There's only one aristocracy, and that [he taps his temple] is right here."

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
admiralnick said:
"Well, don't just stand there... there's quitters to be buried."
John Wayne in some old Western....a genre I really don't like, so I can't remember which one!

"Surely somewhere there are good things happening. Can't you buy a paper that prints those things?"

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
T.S. Elliot.

OK. Let's try some prose as you suggest. Here's a long one to start with (and one of my favourites):
"Nothing mattered much. Nothing much mattered. And the less it mattered, the less it mattered. It was never important enough. Because worse things had happened. In the country that she came from, poised forever between the terror of war, and the horror of place, worse things kept happening. So Small God laughed, and slapped away cheerfully like a rich boy in shorts. He whistled, kicked stones. The source of his brittle elation was the relative smallness of his misfortune. He climbed into people's eyes and became an exasperating expression."
The God of Small Things by Roy 

"Never attempt to teach a pig to sing. It is a waste of time and it annoys the pig."

Ebor

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
aurelia said:
"I can't believe it, I'm losing to a rug!"

Aladdin (the first one) by Disney.  Don't try to trick me with your sneaky Disney references...I don't have five kids for nothing!  rofl... :D
Hehehe, and we have three and do not have cable.  We have carefully chosen movies and recordings for our small people to watch.  ;)

"To swing or not to swing?  Swing!"

Ebor

Marat

Elder
Reaction score
Is the opposite of discombobulated combobulated? Spell checker doesn't like that word.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just wanted to point out that we're approaching 150,000 posts... .Since that was the original intent of this thread (to track our progress towards major posting milestones)...

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you look at the "info center" at the bottom of the Forum's main page, you'll see a section titled "Forum Stats" - it's the first one there.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
My namesake of the jungle.

"Nothing is more important to me than your happiness, but would it kill you to give me a grandchild?"
I regret to say that this has me stumped.  You've mentioned seeing "Fiddler on the Roof" recently, but it's been donkey's years since I last saw that so I'm not sure whether that could be the answer.

Ebor

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
Ebor said:
I regret to say that this has me stumped.  You've mentioned seeing "Fiddler on the Roof" recently, but it's been donkey's years since I last saw that so I'm not sure whether that could be the answer.
It was the character Sylvia Fine speaking to her daughter Fran in The Nanny. They were Jewish so I suppose you were close!

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
It was the character Sylvia Fine speaking to her daughter Fran in The Nanny. They were Jewish so I suppose you were close!
ah, thank you.  It sounded like something a classic "Jewish Mother" would say, I'll admit. Can we try again with another quote?

Ebor

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
Leaving aside the fact that I didn't like the show's writing too much, I can't stand to listen to Fran Drescher's (sp?) voice...

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
?? Pygmalion ??

It's been awhile since I've seen Pygmalion (and its big-screen sister).  But it's the best guess I can venture.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
"Ding!!!" as we say in World of Warcraft when we level. 

(and we can blame the month down last fall with it taking until now.  :D  )

Ebor

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
From the same source:
"A lady is cheerful and accommodating in the face of a third rate burglary. A bourgeois calls in the police."
Wasn't this one of Nostradamus' quatrains?  :p

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
Its not Pygmalion.

Think Glenda Jackson.....
Leave it to someone else - I haven't seen any of her works (which is hard, considering how much she's done)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ebor said:

Ebor
Yup - that, and the lenten slowdown have postponed this great moment till now.

So, how about that drive for 200,000?

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Ebor said:

Ebor
WOW? Nah. you should Play D & D online instead.

aurelia

High Elder
Reaction score
I don't know it sounds more like something Emily Post would say.  Sounds vaguely familiar though...

aurelia

High Elder
Reaction score
My hub knows a kid who is in his 7th year of school...he got hooked on WOW, and has been not only wasting all his time playing it, but spending all his school money on it.  And this is a guy who wants to be a CPA...NOT someone I would give my business!

I'm staying away from it as Sims is enough of an obsession.  ;)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
OC.net > Paltalk
150,000... Yay
Judge Mario Lopez = sucks
Me + sleep ≠ reality
And the grand prize answer is: I didn't know I could!

Yeah, I'm not all there. But you already knew that.  8)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
The answer in this case mirrors the answer in all other cases... look to the Google!  I just typed in "not equal to" or something like that and it popped up in one of the summaries.

TomS

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
The answer in this case mirrors the answer in all other cases... look to the Google! 
Sophia!

As most of you know, I am a software devloper. If I need to learn a new language or new way of doing something, I don't even bother buying software books anymore. All you need to do is Google and you can see hundreds of posted code examples and whole subroutines.

I spent $45 on the New ASP.NET 20.0 Unleashed book about 3 months ago and have never even opened it, I just google what I need to figure out and it's all there.

BTW - anyone want to buy the new ASP.NET 2.0 Unleashed book. Only 20 bucks!