• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
DeniseDenise said:
Trying to not have cable at new place. The following is my attempt to just get internet at the new place....before i just closed the chat in frustration...

Mayank(Wed Feb 19 15:59:21 PST 2014)>
As I see you're currently subscribed to cable and internet, so I'll be able to transfer the same services at the new address.

DENISE_(Wed Feb 19 12:59:38 PST 2014)>
except that i dont want the same services...

Mayank(Wed Feb 19 16:00:08 PST 2014)>
I didn't get you, Denise
Haha. Did he eventually get you?

Alas, I lost faith in my ability to explain that i did not want to keep the services I have, and I merely want internet...despite having cable and internet now...

I 'hung up' the chat after a polite 'I have to go, work calls' 

partially my mood..and partially just mad that the system lets you move current account to new address without a human, but to change they make you go through a gamut of 'contacts' to try and resolve things

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
ZealousZeal said:
DeniseDenise said:
Trying to not have cable at new place. The following is my attempt to just get internet at the new place....before i just closed the chat in frustration...

Mayank(Wed Feb 19 15:59:21 PST 2014)>
As I see you're currently subscribed to cable and internet, so I'll be able to transfer the same services at the new address.

DENISE_(Wed Feb 19 12:59:38 PST 2014)>
except that i dont want the same services...

Mayank(Wed Feb 19 16:00:08 PST 2014)>
I didn't get you, Denise
Haha. Did he eventually get you?

Alas, I lost faith in my ability to explain that i did not want to keep the services I have, and I merely want internet...despite having cable and internet now...

I 'hung up' the chat after a polite 'I have to go, work calls' 

partially my mood..and partially just mad that the system lets you move current account to new address without a human, but to change they make you go through a gamut of 'contacts' to try and resolve things
Or, you could do what I do: have a wireless modem, pay as you go, as long as there's decent reception in your area. Even if I wanted cable internet, I can't get it, as the local facilities are "full".

kyril

Reaction score
to biro and Co. you'd better be quick about eating those worms - Great (meat-free) Lent is close at hand.!

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I biked about 40 miles yesterday, which isn't hat much but it's still the longest this very cold and snowy winter. Anyways temperaturas reached 50 in Chicago yesterday probably the highest in about 3 months.

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
They say that once something is on the internet, it's there forever. I hope that's not true because one of my professors insists on posting videos of every speech we do in class on the college's website.

My stumbling nervousness is not exactly how I want to be immortalized.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:
They say that once something is on the internet, it's there forever. I hope that's not true because one of my professors insists on posting videos of every speech we do in class on the college's website.
Thankfully this seems to be an exaggeration. I've noticed over the years that I've had a harder and harder time finding stuff I had written or done many years ago, even when I know the site it should be on and what I am looking for. True, some old stuff (and obviously recent stuff) still comes up, but things do "go away" over time. It helps if there are other people who share your name, to help muddy the waters.  :angel:

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Hawkeye said:
Thankfully this seems to be an exaggeration. I've noticed over the years that I've had a harder and harder time finding stuff I had written or done many years ago, even when I know the site it should be on and what I am looking for. True, some old stuff (and obviously recent stuff) still comes up, but things do "go away" over time. It helps if there are other people who share your name, to help muddy the waters.  :angel:
Depends where it is. I can find stuff I wrote back to 1989.

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Asteriktos said:
Hawkeye said:
Depends where it is. I can find stuff I wrote back to 1989.
Good.  Then I would like to take this opportunity to announce that it was slow at work today.  For the record and in order to show diligence and a strong work ethic I worked on typing skill:

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Very good!  Make sure you link to this in a couple places to ensure it being seen.  :p

On a side note, I went to the site to do the test. 79 wpm with 3 mistakes. Self I am disappoint.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
It helps if there are other people who share your name, to help muddy the waters.  :angel:
Unfortunately, the spelling of my surname is entirely unique to the descendants of my paternal grandfather. Everyone else descended from my great-grandfather has it different.

If you google my name, the only person you'll find on the front page is me, or otherwise my immediate family.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:
Asteriktos said:
It helps if there are other people who share your name, to help muddy the waters.  :angel:
Unfortunately, the spelling of my surname is entirely unique to the descendants of my paternal grandfather. Everyone else descended from my great-grandfather has it different.

If you google my name, the only person you'll find on the front page is me, or otherwise my immediate family.
You mentioned some shirt you wear to the parish you attend, do you mind posting a picture of the sort you were mentioning? I forget which thread it was in.

kyril

Reaction score
Well REALLY!
a mono - stauric chapelist.?
I would have thought the answer would be obvious....
A one legged dino-saur of strict Protestant persuasion - probably Methodist. (the 'Chapel')
I hope it enjoys you for supper....

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Very good!  Make sure you link to this in a couple places to ensure it being seen.  :p

On a side note, I went to the site to do the test. 79 wpm with 3 mistakes. Self I am disappoint.
You don't get a 'Congratulations!' if you make a mistake.  But I'll give you one anyway.

Congratulations! 

Good idea on sending that around.  Was going to send it over to the project manager for placement in my permanent file and then ask for a raise, but on second thought, he might have a struggle with envy when he sees typing at 1,625 wpm faster than his best high school typing time.  ;D

So, guess I'll just have to stay in obscurity and pretend that I can only type 69 wpm with no mistakes on a really good day with easy text. 

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:

Is that even legal tuo do something like that without explicit acceptance from those who are being posted?

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Alpo said:
Hawkeye said:

Is that even legal tuo do something like that without explicit acceptance from those who are being posted?
Probably not but no one has objected to it thus far.

I could probably convince her to leave mine out but it would be too much effort, for me and for her, to hide something as meaningless as six minute speeches on particular places.

It's fine; I'm just not a fan of watching myself fumble through my lines.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
kyril said:
Well REALLY!
a mono - stauric chapelist.?
I would have thought the answer would be obvious....
A one legged dino-saur of strict Protestant persuasion - probably Methodist. (the 'Chapel')
I hope it enjoys you for supper....
I assure you, the Monostauric Chapelists have devoured enough people already... ;)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
When I get to Walmart today I'm going to buy two donuts and a Pepsi.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
That's really a terrible mistake...you really want Two Pepsis and a donut

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
DeniseDenise said:
Asteriktos said:
That's really a terrible mistake...you really want Two Pepsis and a donut
He really meant two donuts and a coke.  Pepsi sucks. 
Well I agree......I was trying to be ecumenical about his beverage choice...

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
But I don't usually even finish the 20 ounces of the single bottle I buy... do I really need a second?  ???   But no, I meant Pepsi, you will just have to allow me my tradition, received from my fathers lo these many years. Remember the ecumenical motto: on whatever you can unite, and keep the differences outta sight!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Has the preference for Coke been held everywhere, always and by all? NO!

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Has the preference for Coke been held everywhere, always and by all? NO!
Alas.....Pepsi is but an 1893 'innovation' on Coke's 1886 beverage....

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Oh, no! Please don't say such things! Innovation? Heavens to Betsy no! Pepsi divinely superceded that which had come before. Sort of like how the diocese form of church administration replaced what was before it, or how the New Testament Gospel replaced the Old Testament Law. That sort of thing.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Oh, no! Please don't say such things! Innovation? Heavens to Betsy no! Pepsi divinely superceded that which had come before. Sort of like how the diocese form of church administration replaced what was before it, or how the New Testament Gospel replaced the Old Testament Law. That sort of thing.

How dare you leave the True Beverage for some watered down, shadow of a drink, that cannot possibly contain the original goodness as was intended!!!!!!!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I think we need to consider the evidence here. Has Pepsi ever deviated from the faith and then had to shamefacedly return to its "Classic" version? Absolutely not. Pepsi is the nectar of the Gods (or, more properly, Mt. Dew is, and Pepsi is like the master theologian). Do you not remember that Coke had to drug its early consumers so as to keep them loyal? Cult!

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
OK, I'm done posting for the week or month.  This board exhausts me.  People be cray.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I think we need to consider the evidence here. Has Pepsi ever deviated from the faith and then had to shamefacedly return to its "Classic" version? Absolutely not. Pepsi is the nectar of the Gods (or, more properly, Mt. Dew is, and Pepsi is like the master theologian). Do you not remember that Coke had to drug its early consumers so as to keep them loyal? Cult!
All sin and fall short of the glory......are you implying that Pepsi is sinless?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Ionnis said:
OK, I'm done posting for the week or month.  This board exhausts me.  People be cray.
Month is almost over, come back!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Asteriktos said:
All sin and fall short of the glory......are you implying that Pepsi is sinless?
Sinless? Oh not at all! I am not speaking of impeccability here. I merely mean that Pepsi is divinely protected from error when launching a product line and intending to serve the whole consumer base with its product. And I believe history shows this to be case. Look, I am not saying that Pepsi is perfect, or that everyone thinks that it's the greatest. All I'm saying is that, as we go deeper in developing our palate, the virtues of Pepsi become more clear and more pronounced. But I still strongly believe that God works with us wherever we are.

kyril

Reaction score
re: the virtues of the (new) Pepsi versus the (old) Coke.
    Consider the verdict of the master of the wedding feast at Cana:
    "You have kept the best wine for the last."

kyril

Reaction score
and in any case, all these 'bought drinks' are left at the starting line when compared to (one of) my great-grandma's home-made ginger-beer; and us young'uns coud have it even though it had a 'kick.'
"Don't drink it too quickly, dears,"

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
When you pick one of those 58 new "genders" on Facebook you get the option to pick your own pronoun, including the majestic plural. I want to be adressed as royalty but I don't want to have a weird gender. What a horrible dilemma.