Random Postings

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
IsmiLiora said:
Celtic, if that is supposed to be a hint, I would work on your subtlety. Just a friend? ;)

And *, L.M.A.O. I actually never saw the appeal of doctors. I was always pining after military men/police officers/anyone with a uniform including at one time my UPS delivery guy (scrubs and the white coat doesn't really count to me, though). And military men:

-Work really long hours
-Are away from the house for days/weeks/months/years at a time
-May possibly return changed
-May DIE at work.

It's the uniform, I guess. And the life-saving thing, perhaps... :)


IT IS FREEZING in my apartment. They are NOW replacing the boiler and it won't be up and running until the end of the week. It's only 69 degrees outside but for some reason it feels much colder in here. After finishing some work, I went into storage and pulled out all of my sweaters. It's a matter of time, anyway.
Cast iron sectional boilers, for the win.  They could probably have one of those installed in a day or so, depending on consignment at the local rep.

Edit - BTW, you should smack your maintenance guys for only knowing now that the boiler is out.  Smart people always do a summer run to make sure everything operates before it gets cold.
 

IsmiLiora

Archon
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
vamrat said:
Cast iron sectional boilers, for the win.  They could probably have one of those installed in a day or so, depending on consignment at the local rep.

Edit - BTW, you should smack your maintenance guys for only knowing now that the boiler is out.  Smart people always do a summer run to make sure everything operates before it gets cold.
I'm convinced that my landlord is evil or lazy.

I'm leaning toward the latter because our oven has been broken for a month and they are still "ordering" the part to fix it. I had to make my lemon-oregano chicken (YUM) in our toaster oven yesterday and accidentally got all butter all over the inside. Go me. I miss having an oven and I don't know how we're going to do the turkey this Thanksgiving if they don't fix it before then.

PS What are cast iron sectional boilers? Educate me. I have no idea what you're talking about. I could google, though...couldn't I...
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
IsmiLiora said:
vamrat said:
Cast iron sectional boilers, for the win.  They could probably have one of those installed in a day or so, depending on consignment at the local rep.

Edit - BTW, you should smack your maintenance guys for only knowing now that the boiler is out.  Smart people always do a summer run to make sure everything operates before it gets cold.
I'm convinced that my landlord is evil or lazy.

I'm leaning toward the latter because our oven has been broken for a month and they are still "ordering" the part to fix it. I had to make my lemon-oregano chicken (YUM) in our toaster oven yesterday and accidentally got all butter all over the inside. Go me. I miss having an oven and I don't know how we're going to do the turkey this Thanksgiving if they don't fix it before then.

PS What are cast iron sectional boilers? Educate me. I have no idea what you're talking about. I could google, though...couldn't I...
You could Google it...or I could tell you.  Basically the boiler uses cast iron sections rather than tubes (these sections are smaller, generally heavier but smaller) so the boiler can be brought in and put together like an $11,000 Lego set.  Larger boilers are often put in while the building is being built since they are too big to go in through regular, non-elephant sized, doorways.  A cast iron sectional boiler can be used in an existing building, just each section is wheeled in one at a time and then the trim, controls, etc., are added and it is piped into the existing system.  Smaller ones are built on the same concept but most of the ones we sell are already assembled.  The big ones are in pieces.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,115
Reaction score
34
Points
48
Age
41
IsmiLiora
Nekulturny
OC.net guru

Online

Faith: Catechumen waiting to take the next step
Jurisdiction: GOA
Posts: 2,460

Can I have your nose?
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,115
Reaction score
34
Points
48
Age
41
I like watching Biggest Loser with a bag of donuts in my lap. Time for the show! Wheeeeee!
 

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
5,541
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Personally I'm jealous of how many nose hairs that guy (girl?) has. If only I weren't a compulsive plucker.
 

IsmiLiora

Archon
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Vamrat, thanks for the explanation. I am assuming that you work with boilers. :p I'm surprised we actually aren't getting one that could be put together so quickly, like you described. But the apartment building I'm living in was built in the 30s (I love how sturdy it is!) and maybe that has something to do with it.

My little space heater in my office is sufficing for the moment, luckily. And someone gave Mr. Ismi and I these matching AMAZZZING blankets for wedding presents. I can't recommend them enough. That should tide us over for the weather transition. (That's what I realized -- once it's been 40 degrees for a few weeks, I'm okay, but I can't stand the initial temperature drop.)

Asterisk, ICK!

My line has to do with the woman in my avatar, singer Regina Spektor. I love fairly big, interesting noses on both men and women, and she's got a nice one. I don't want the one in the picture you posted!

 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Fourth time in as many weeks, car broken down.

Even when things are going well. Not fun.

What I wouldn't give my old mechanic back. Cheap, good, pick up the car, drop it off. Cocaine IS a helluva drug. darn.
 

IsmiLiora

Archon
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
It's about 75 degrees and my body is getting very confused. I get sick with extreme temperature changes. Oh, joy.

Escaped to do some errands briefly because the whole place smells like gas. Plus, some P.I.T.A in my apartment turned the shower to the "annihilate" setting and it's stuck there. My upper arms are still red. Who wants their shower to turn into a fire hose? Seriously.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
orthonorm said:
Fourth time in as many weeks, car broken down.

Even when things are going well. Not fun.

What I wouldn't give my old mechanic back. Cheap, good, pick up the car, drop it off. Cocaine IS a helluva drug. darn.
Actually it never really "broke" down. It just needed maintenance. The third time confirm (to me at least) a fear I am having tested: blown head gasket and probably a cracked head.

$9 / day . . . I dunno.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,115
Reaction score
34
Points
48
Age
41
So like me you are going to be doomed to walking and riding the bus? Sucks to be you, if so.

Also, how did a fly get into my apartment? All the doors and windows are closed, except for a split second when I'm going in and out once a day. I think they're getting in through the air vents. Have to be.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,115
Reaction score
34
Points
48
Age
41
Regarding the newly found pic of orthonorm... I knew he was a dork, I just knew it. From the moment I first saw him, talking about how Nietzsche was misunderstood and all that crap, I knew he was one of us. Had to be. And now there is visual, undeniable, glorious proof.  Awesome!
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Asteriktos said:
Regarding the newly found pic of orthonorm... I knew he was a dork, I just knew it. From the moment I first saw him, talking about how Nietzsche was misunderstood and all that crap, I knew he was one of us. Had to be. And now there is visual, undeniable, glorious proof.  Awesome!
Unfair! My apology was whisked away when the thread which shall not be named was locked down!

Ecco Homo! Hier stehe ich! Ich kann nicht anders. Gott helfe mir! And all that.

Que sera sera . . . C'est la vie . . . So ist das Leben eben . . .
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
Asteriktos said:
Regarding the newly found pic of orthonorm... I knew he was a dork, I just knew it. From the moment I first saw him, talking about how Nietzsche was misunderstood and all that crap, I knew he was one of us. Had to be. And now there is visual, undeniable, glorious proof.  Awesome!
Wait
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Achronos said:
Asteriktos said:
Regarding the newly found pic of orthonorm... I knew he was a dork, I just knew it. From the moment I first saw him, talking about how Nietzsche was misunderstood and all that crap, I knew he was one of us. Had to be. And now there is visual, undeniable, glorious proof.  Awesome!
Wait
I demand this debasement of my imagine to end now!

lulz. Since it got zarked. Well played achronos!

 
Top