Random Postings

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
DeniseDenise said:
isn't driving faster....if it is hour and a half flight plus the arrive early, go through security etc etc nonsense?
No. An hour drive to the airport, arrive an hour early to go through security plus an hour and a half flight is still less than the time it would take me to drive by a long shot. And even if it weren't, I really don't want to drive. Plus the current car logistics make driving not an option anyway.
Easier to sleep in the car.
Safer to sleep on the plane.

kyril

Reaction score
that's my bananas look like until they're stricken with jaundice and
banana-pox.
Oh well, they're good stuffin for muffins.....

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
DeniseDenise said:
isn't driving faster....if it is hour and a half flight plus the arrive early, go through security etc etc nonsense?
No. An hour drive to the airport, arrive an hour early to go through security plus an hour and a half flight is still less than the time it would take me to drive by a long shot. And even if it weren't, I really don't want to drive. Plus the current car logistics make driving not an option anyway.
Easier to sleep in the car.
Safer to sleep on the plane.
Ha! I doubt I'll be sleeping. It's a pretty little plane. It's easier to forget that you're in a tube in the sky when it's a bit bigger. :p

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:
Cyrillic said:
Hawkeye said:
So I gave my cat away last night.
Why?
The landlady's allergic and didn't like it being around.
Good for you for getting rid of it. You are a man anyhow. It is ridiculous to keep pets. It is like one of the most decadent and gross things in our society. People have warped relations with animals that wouldn't exist without the market for them or would do fine without owners and yet these same animals lovers treat their fellow man with contempt.

Bestiality is everywhere.

And yes, before you pet people respond, it includes you. The solitary oc.netter clinging to their fetishized partner has to account for at least 63% of the posters here.

Working animals are different. And no your dog isn't a deterrent to anyone.

If you can't break the neck of your pet to alleviate the suffering of your neighbor, you need to start thinking about what sorta ethical universe you live in.

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Hawkeye said:
orthonorm said:
Hawkeye said:

Within 12 hours, they may or may not have lost it.
Cats don't get lost. Their keepers do. Really, a cat set free is always a good thing.
He spent his whole life indoors and has no front claws. I don't expect him to be a master at the outdoors thing.

:'(

I will be thinking of him.....I know mine (even with claws) would be 100% useless outside.....
It seems he realized that good food isn't quite so plentiful on the city streets and ended up coming back.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:
DeniseDenise said:
Hawkeye said:
orthonorm said:
Hawkeye said:

Cats don't get lost. Their keepers do. Really, a cat set free is always a good thing.
He spent his whole life indoors and has no front claws. I don't expect him to be a master at the outdoors thing.

I will be thinking of him.....I know mine (even with claws) would be 100% useless outside.....
It seems he realized that good food isn't quite so plentiful on the city streets and ended up coming back.
Wonderful news!  :D

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
You are a man anyhow.
Hardly.

orthonorm said:
It is ridiculous to keep pets. It is like one of the most decadent and gross things in our society.
Ridiculously decadent or not, I liked having him around. At least then it didn't seem like it was just me and my roommate.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:
DeniseDenise said:
Hawkeye said:
orthonorm said:
Hawkeye said:

Am glad he is ok!

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
kyril said:
so you didn't actually 'give him away' after all?
Person give Kot avay. Kot does as Kot please. Kot kom back hom.  ;D

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Antisocial personality disorder symptoms may begin in childhood and are fully evident for most people during their 20s and 30s. In children, cruelty to animals, bullying behavior, impulsivity or explosions of anger, social isolation, and poor school performance may be, in some cases, early signs of the disorder.

In the 1970s research into prisoner profiles found a strong link between serial killers and a history of cruelty to animals. More recent studies into current and past cases have confirmed the link. Retrospective studies of the life of convicted sadistic murderers and serial murderers showed a startling proportion of those murderers had a history of animal abuse, often starting in childhood. The roll call of internationally infamous killers includes Jeffrey Dahmer, Milwaukee's cannibal killer of 16 young men; Albert deSalvo, the Boston Strangler, who murdered 13 women; David Berkowitz, the Son of Sam; David Harker, Britain's cannibal killer; and even the two 10-year-olds, Robert Thompson and John Venables, who killed toddler Jamie Bulger. They all had a history of animal torture or violence in their youth. Australia has not escaped the profile: Paul Denyer, the Frankston serial killer of three women in 1993, and John Travis, one of the Cobby killers, both have a history of animal abuse, starting in childhood.

Suggested reading

http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Cruelty-Pathway-Violence-Against/dp/0759103046/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395808434&sr=1-1&keywords=9780759103047

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LC20001011042

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Antisocial personality disorder symptoms may begin in childhood and are fully evident for most people during their 20s and 30s. In children, cruelty to animals, bullying behavior, impulsivity or explosions of anger, social isolation, and poor school performance may be, in some cases, early signs of the disorder.

In the 1970s research into prisoner profiles found a strong link between serial killers and a history of cruelty to animals. More recent studies into current and past cases have confirmed the link. Retrospective studies of the life of convicted sadistic murderers and serial murderers showed a startling proportion of those murderers had a history of animal abuse, often starting in childhood. The roll call of internationally infamous killers includes Jeffrey Dahmer, Milwaukee's cannibal killer of 16 young men; Albert deSalvo, the Boston Strangler, who murdered 13 women; David Berkowitz, the Son of Sam; David Harker, Britain's cannibal killer; and even the two 10-year-olds, Robert Thompson and John Venables, who killed toddler Jamie Bulger. They all had a history of animal torture or violence in their youth. Australia has not escaped the profile: Paul Denyer, the Frankston serial killer of three women in 1993, and John Travis, one of the Cobby killers, both have a history of animal abuse, starting in childhood.

Suggested reading

http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Cruelty-Pathway-Violence-Against/dp/0759103046/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395808434&sr=1-1&keywords=9780759103047

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LC20001011042
Two other very (in)famous cases where animal cruelty was part of their makeup are the Moors murderers (Myra Hindley and Ian Brady) of the early 1960s, and Martin Bryant, responsible for the Port Arthur massacre of 1996, where he murdered 35 people, including several small children, in a matter of minutes.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for a World Domination Starter Kit, I have a lightly used one that I'd like to get rid of. PM me if interested.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Hawkeye said:
Cyrillic said:
Hawkeye said:
Why?
Good for you for getting rid of it. You are a man anyhow. It is ridiculous to keep pets. It is like one of the most decadent and gross things in our society. People have warped relations with animals that wouldn't exist without the market for them or would do fine without owners and yet these same animals lovers treat their fellow man with contempt.

And yes, before you pet people respond, it includes you. The solitary oc.netter clinging to their fetishized partner has to account for at least 63% of the posters here.

If you can't break the neck of your pet to alleviate the suffering of your neighbor, you need to start thinking about what sorta ethical universe you live in.
But who's going to keep the mice away?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
orthonorm said:
Hawkeye said:
Cyrillic said:
Hawkeye said:
Why?

But who's going to keep the mice away?
Mice, rats, snakes ....

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Hawkeye said:
Cyrillic said:
Hawkeye said:
Why?

Meh.  All to often the animal is less deserving of contempt.  And I have met some really dumb animals in my time.  Remarkably, I can always find some person stupider. 

findingfaith

Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Hawkeye said:
Cyrillic said:
Hawkeye said:
Why?

Just wow, talk about insensitive, first, do you believe God only works through man? or do you think he uses all of his creation?
how many people do you know who have been shunned by the world because they don't meet a certain criteria created by society?
pets can be the only companionship for some people, they can bring joy to the lives of people who would not experience it otherwise.

orthonorm said:
Good for you for getting rid of it. You are a man anyhow. It is ridiculous to keep pets.
orthonorm said:
Why is it that you, and so many others on this board, and in this world, seem to trivialize the use of words as a form of attack?
if your a REAL man you don't own a pet,  that's an open attempt to belittle any man who owns a pet, because you know..... it's ridiculous.

then you say 63% of oc.netter's are fetishized pet owners, paint with broad strokes much? you know the hearts of men as well?

these types of post's bother me mainly because of the way people trivialize their words, as if they aren't sinful, or can't hurt anyone.
Scripture say's, it's not what goes in the mouth that defiles, it's what comes out of the mouth that defiles.
words are a powerful weapon, how many times do we hear these day's, that someone's child committed suicide after being bullied by other children through the use of word's?
Please think of the consequences of your words before putting them out there, it's so easy on this board where you can read what you type and decide if it's worthy or not, before you hit post.

sorry for the rant but this touched me the wrong way

George

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
http://needmorefire.org/

This is a rather unfortunate name for a volunteer fire company website :D

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know a lively fellow, who is really quite unique.

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He's small and smart and yellow, with a rodent-like physique.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gkterra said:
orthonorm said:
Hawkeye said:
Cyrillic said:
Hawkeye said:
Why?

Just wow, talk about insensitive, first, do you believe God only works through man? or do you think he uses all of his creation?
how many people do you know who have been shunned by the world because they don't meet a certain criteria created by society?
pets can be the only companionship for some people, they can bring joy to the lives of people who would not experience it otherwise.

orthonorm said:
Good for you for getting rid of it. You are a man anyhow. It is ridiculous to keep pets.
orthonorm said:
Why is it that you, and so many others on this board, and in this world, seem to trivialize the use of words as a form of attack?
if your a REAL man you don't own a pet,  that's an open attempt to belittle any man who owns a pet, because you know..... it's ridiculous.

then you say 63% of oc.netter's are fetishized pet owners, paint with broad strokes much? you know the hearts of men as well?

these types of post's bother me mainly because of the way people trivialize their words, as if they aren't sinful, or can't hurt anyone.
Scripture say's, it's not what goes in the mouth that defiles, it's what comes out of the mouth that defiles.
words are a powerful weapon, how many times do we hear these day's, that someone's child committed suicide after being bullied by other children through the use of word's?
Please think of the consequences of your words before putting them out there, it's so easy on this board where you can read what you type and decide if it's worthy or not, before you hit post.

sorry for the rant but this touched me the wrong way

George
No need to apologize. You have a cat for an avatar. That already says how sorry you are.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
NSFW sorta. Vulgar a bit if that bothers you.

One of the craziest craigs ads I've every stumbled upon that wasn't a personal and seemed sincere. (There are crazy which have been trumpeted on the internet, but this was found in an honest craigslist search.)

Should we room together?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/hou/4383843549.html

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Is it shameful that as an 18 year old man I've never even kissed a female or been in a relationship and I've only been on about three or four "dates," each with the same girl?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Is it shameful that as an 18 year old man I've never even kissed a female or been in a relationship and I've only been on about three or four "dates," each with the same girl?
I never even went on a date, so you're still lightyears ahead of me.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Went to post-liturgical meal with soon-to-be godson and two other catechumens. Apparently it's possible not feel like an outsider despite being an Orthodox and a vegetarian.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
and a vegetarian.
Huh? Why, Alpo, why?

I'm disappointed.
I finally decided to do something about it. I've been thinking this for some years but before this I didn't bother to to make the actual decision to skip meat entirely. But at some point I realized that eating meat feels bad and I thought that food shouldn't be something to be concerned over. I still eat fish and dairy products though and do not decline the hospitality.