Random Postings

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
JamesR said:
Is it shameful that as an 18 year old man I've never even kissed a female or been in a relationship and I've only been on about three or four "dates," each with the same girl?
FWIW, when I was your age, I hadn't even achieved that much. 

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I'm ashamed that I'll probably never achieve my goal of dating Aneurin Barnard. I really need to stop watching videos of that guy on YouTube.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
kelly said:
I'm ashamed that I'll probably never achieve my goal of dating Aneurin Barnard.
Don't worry. You're among friends here. Neither do I.  :(

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Alpo said:
kelly said:
You best stay away from him!!! :mad:

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
kelly said:
Alpo said:
kelly said:
You best stay away from him!!! :mad:
Again, no need to worry. Ron Swanson is more of my type.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
When life gives you fiddlesticks... make some high quality fiddles  ;)  :p  :angel:

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Is it shameful that as an 18 year old man I've never even kissed a female or been in a relationship and I've only been on about three or four "dates," each with the same girl?
Is this some kind of weird Christian humblebrag?

Seriously, no need for shame. No need to broadcast it, either, but no need for shame.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I do as well!  ;D

Today the American professional Major League Baseball season begins! Hurrah!

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I do as well!  ;D

that say was yesterday, with the Dodgers losing against the Padres :-(

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
JamesR said:

Seriously, no need for shame. No need to broadcast it, either, but no need for shame.
:D Humblebrag, funny!

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
According to Canon 11 of St John the Faster, a woman who allows herself to be kissed or fondled by a man should be canonized as for masturbation, i.e. abstain from communion for 40 days, while eating dry foods and doing 100 prostrations a day.

It doesn't say what happens to the man who kisses her. But no, you shouldn't be ashamed of not causing a woman to fall into sin.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Agabus said:
JamesR said:

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/05/funniest-humble-brags-on-twitter/

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
hecma925 said:
Agabus said:
JamesR said:

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/05/funniest-humble-brags-on-twitter/
There are times when I really hate the internet. 

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
and a vegetarian.
Huh? Why, Alpo, why?

I'm disappointed.
I finally decided to do something about it. I've been thinking this for some years but before this I didn't bother to to make the actual decision to skip meat entirely. But at some point I realized that eating meat feels bad and I thought that food shouldn't be something to be concerned over. I still eat fish and dairy products though and do not decline the hospitality.
I have had these temptations from time to time.  Most vegetarian things, and fish/dairy products don't ruin my gastrointestinal peace.  I LOVE meat, especially when it is cooked well and spiced properly.  But it has been tearing my guts up recently.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
vamrat said:
I have had these temptations from time to time.  Most vegetarian things, and fish/dairy products don't ruin my gastrointestinal peace.  I LOVE meat, especially when it is cooked well and spiced properly.  But it has been tearing my guts up recently.
That's because your stomach knows it's Lent.  Your body is rejecting you.  :p

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
vamrat said:
oooh a holier then thou stomach......

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
vamrat said:
I have also feared that as well.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
and a vegetarian.
Huh? Why, Alpo, why?

I'm disappointed.
I finally decided to do something about it. I've been thinking this for some years but before this I didn't bother to to make the actual decision to skip meat entirely. But at some point I realized that eating meat feels bad and I thought that food shouldn't be something to be concerned over. I still eat fish and dairy products though and do not decline the hospitality.
Same here.

As someone who has been plagued by gut issues for most of my adult life, cutting out meat and dairy (and refined tomato products) has gone a long way in making me feel better.

EDIT: In a spirit of full disclosure, I should include a significant decrease in my alcohol intake is also in play. I burned out my stomach lining in some of the bad years.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:
Asteriktos said:
I do as well!  ;D

that say was yesterday, with the Dodgers losing against the Padres :-(
Right you are... I guess I was letting my Pirate fever blind me  :angel:

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I want to move to Lebanon. It seems like one of the more peaceful countries of the Middle East and has a sizeable Christian minority.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
It seems like one of the more peaceful countries of the Middle East
That's relative. You still have groups like Hezbollah who are dancing through the streets.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
That's relative. You still have groups like Hezbollah who are dancing through the streets.

So what you are saying is that it is festive?  :-\

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
It's still one of the most peaceful coubtries over there.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:

So what you are saying is that it is festive?  :-\
Music, gunfire...it's all relative to the part's ambiance.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
So I recently bought a pair of decent headphones. Well, I'm not sure if they qualify as decent, they were just $25, but when all you've ever owned is $4 stuff ... I figured I'd go a step up. It's been quite a let down. The albums known for having good production sound much better, but some albums just sound horrible. I'd honestly rather use the cheap ear buds in some cases.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
What kind of headphones? I have Koss Porta Pros and I'm fairly happy with those.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
So I recently bought a pair of decent headphones. Well, I'm not sure if they qualify as decent, they were just $25, but when all you've ever owned is $4 stuff ... I figured I'd go a step up. It's been quite a let down. The albums known for having good production sound much better, but some albums just sound horrible. I'd honestly rather use the cheap ear buds in some cases.

Just get better music.

:p

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
It usually takes a few days for the headphones to 'warm up'. Stick with it a little longer and tell us in a few days how it sounds and whether it has improved.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
It usually takes a few days for the headphones to 'warm up'. Stick with it a little longer and tell us in a few days how it sounds and whether it has improved.
I know somewhere, someplace, Shiny is laughing at you.

*, make sure you burn them in for about 200 hours with a pink noise before using.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
I want to move to Lebanon. It seems like one of the more peaceful countries of the Middle East and has a sizeable Christian minority.
I have an acquaintance who lives there and in the U.S. who said the best way to keep people from throwing garbage in your yard is to put up a shrine.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Alpo said:
I have an acquaintance who lives there and in the U.S. who said the best way to keep people from throwing garbage in your yard is to put up a shrine.
Wouldn't be anyhow suprised about that. With things like that I'd probably go nuts if I lived there. But then again I'm not exactly sane here either. Oh well.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I'll post again in a couple days about the headphones, see how they are once I get to listen more. I guess I should have had more realistic expectations.  :angel:

Alpo said:
What kind of headphones? I have Koss Porta Pros and I'm fairly happy with those.
I'll have to think about them for the next purchase. The ones I got were Sennheiser HD 202 II Professional Headphones.

DeniseDenise said:
Just get better music.

:p
I've already explored 37 distinct types of heavy metal, what else is there?!?  ;D

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Today was tiring. My history teacher felt obligated to explain religious people to the class. "These people actually believe they should love God above all else, even family!" I really have never realized that basic religious thought is completely foreign to modern people. Total love of God was probably the very first thing I was taught in life.

Then in my humanities class I got to hear about how gender roles are changing and more men will be "stay-at-home dads" in the more "equal" future.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Agabus said:
Alpo said:
Wouldn't be anyhow suprised about that. With things like that I'd probably go nuts if I lived there. But then again I'm not exactly sane here either. Oh well.
Just learn this song and you'll be OK.